Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Late Model Segment Replacement - Insurance advice please

So I was on a vacation in Colorado when a laid back motorist slid down the side of my 05 Bunkhouse.....bummer. Now I am faced with dealing with his insurance agent as well as trying to explain to someone that is not Airstream saavy the way one has to be repaired. Anyone dealt with this? I have an estimate coming from the factory service center based on photos however I am worried that even thought the dent is shallow the whole segments have to be replaced, properly buck riveted.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Oh Ouch! It appears from the pic that two segments are affected? If there are creases (and there seem to be) replacement is the only option afaik.

I would insist that the repair be done by a dealer who has done this kind of work. Maybe someone will chime in with some insurance advice.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
The insurance company cannot tell you where you must have repairs done. You are the owner and you can choose to take it to the dealer or wherever you please.

Good luck and I hope the repairs go well!

Ken
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Yes, two segments need replacing. The really long lower and the front lower corner.

I know they cannot tell me where to get it fixed but I am worried about if they want multiple bids. I would prefer it to be buck riveted not just Olympic riveted from the outside. I think I would only have Jackson Center do the work on something as major as this.

I will update later as I get feedback from the insurance company of the guy who hit me.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
whoa..

Wow, estimate came back and sent to Insurance company. It is going to be interesting to see how it comes out. Almost 12k cost to repair.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I wanted to update my earlier post. State farm is paying for the repair that I got from Jackson Center. I was pleased with how they handled the claim. I just need to add the cost of leak testing as I want it tested after such large segment repair.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Hi, I am new to the forums and to ownership of my 22ft. 1964 Safari.

I am glad your situation got worked out with the other persons insurance company (State Farm). Who were you insured with?

I have been having trouble with my insurance company in getting my Vintage 1964 Safari insured. They dont know how to value it. I guess they have never insured an Airstream before. Let alone a Vintage year one. Any suggestions?? I have Shelter Insurance Company, and they have my cars and home insured.

Thanks for any advise you may have!

Tracey
Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Insurance

Tracy,

I have Allstate insurance on my Safari since it was new. The price is not horrible on my insurance, l hope I do not ever need a claim again!

For a vintage unit maybe try some of the companies that insure vintage cars like Chubb insurance. You need someone that can insure it for "street value" not just what some book says.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thank you! I did email my insurance agent and asked him to check into a vintage car group. I didnt know any of the names of any car groups though. So I will pass this info on to him about Chubb.

I hope you dont ever have a claim again either! And I hope I never have one! The Previous owners never did have insurance on it.

Sorry you had a bad experience in Colo with your Safari!

Thanks Again for your advise!

Tracey