Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Is trailer insurance even worth it?

Keeping in mind I only paid $2700 for my 1961 Avion but have made many improvements bringing the total value to about 5k in my opinion. I'm not naive enough to think a stated value in going to cover me if a claim occurs. So in my case to insure my 1961 avion I need an appraisal. This seems reasonable however I don't have the time or inclination to try to get a accurate appraisal. Even if I find an appraiser I doubt they would have any knowledge about the value of a vintage trailer. So my question comes down to this. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will take actual receipts instead of an appraisal? Why can't I give them a bill of sale, receipts for new appliances I installed like air conditioner, fridge, water heater. I could send images as well. Wouldn't this be a fair way to establish value?

In other words I don't want to buy insurance at a stated value and then during a claim have very little means to establish actual value. At this point I'm leaning for the no trailer insurance option. My truck insurance will handle liability while traveling. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have trailer insurance but the uncertainty on the fair valuation of my trailer and its contents along with steep deductibles almost isn't worth it in my case.

Is there insurance I can get just for personal items in my trailer?

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Keeping in mind I only paid $2700 for my 1961 Avion but have made many improvements bringing the total value to about 5k in my opinion.
I'm not naive enough to think a stated value in going to cover me if a claim occurs. So in my case to insure my 1961 avion I need an appraisal.
This seems reasonable however I don't have the time or inclination to try to get a accurate appraisal. Even if I find an appraiser I doubt they would have any knowledge about the value of a vintage trailer. So my question comes down to this. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will take actual receipts instead of any appraisal? Why can't I give them a bill of sale, receipts for new appliances I installed like air conditioner, fridge, water heater. I could send images as well. Wouldn't this be a fair way to establish value?

In other words I don't want to buy insurance at an stated value and then during a claim have very little means to establish actual value. At this point I'm leaning for the no trailer insurance option. My truck insurance will handle liability while traveling. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have trailer insurance but I don't like dealing with loan sharks and even the deductable on personal items almost isn't worth it.

Is there insurance I can get just for personal items in my trailer?
Property insurance of any kind, has one purpose.

It covers what you cannot afford to lose. If you can afford the financial loss of something, without too much of a hurt, then insurance is a waste of money.

Your personal effects may be covered by your homowners insurance policy. Check with your agent.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
... Is there insurance I can get ...
naturally the answer is yes.

shop like YOU mean it.

a travel trailer isn't just property and the t.v. insurance does NOT cover every issue related to disaster or liability...

for example,

--you just parked for a few days of quiet camping...

--unhooked and jacked and plugged into juice and water...

--while at the pay station your trailer rolls down a hill (unhitched)...

1. it pulls the wiring OUT of the post starting a fire at the site,

2. which quickly burns UP the trailers parked on either side...

3. and the tow vehicles

4. and the harley in your neighbors truck bed.

5. the water hose finally rips loose, but not b4 tripping the famous dancer camped next 2 ya and breaking both legs...

6. the ROLLING trailer gains speed and plows over 2 tents, killing the occupants and ruining their dinner.

7. now the trailer is OUT of the park and sliding down the highway...

8. toward a group of children taking a nap outside a school...

9. for the blind.

like a HOUSE, rv policies can and should include liability coverage for humans that might visit you.

and unless YOU have READ the t.v. policy and ASKED QUESTIONS...

i'd wager there are MANY things not covered while towing.

of course YOU might have a 1-2 mil umbrella policy for personal liability and to protect assests...

but given u r here asking THIS question, that's not likely.

agreed value insurance is EASY to obtain, basically like old/collectible car insurance for the VALUE of the nuts/bolts and upgrades...

the process of reaching that 'agreed value' varies by company, but isn't difficult will all insurance writers.

personal property INSIDE is typically covered up to a limit like 5k$ or 10k$...

and can be INCREASED to cover your rare velvet elvis collection of artwork...

and YOU DO WANT coverage if someone gets SICK...

eating that fried banana and peanut butter sandwich you just made them...

many threads on this topic, free for the reading...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...nce-50650.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ory-43747.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...arm-10176.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...nce-31909.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...lue-25493.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ice-25186.html

read those AND the links inside.

oh wait, never mind it's an avion....

nothing dangerous EVER happens to those units.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If you want an appraisal for the value of your vintage trailer, I know of two appraisers for vintage trailers and there are probably several more.

Both of them are Airstream owners, but then this is an Airstream list.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
A bit off topic.....I carry it under my auto policy it was not very expensive to add it and it has good coverage (I went around the horn about it with my agent....no policy will protect you against everything). Of course I think everyone that owns property should carry an umbrella liability policy. They are VERY cheap compared to the coverage they can provide in nasty situations. JMHO
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Make sure that if you want coverage for the trailer /not jut liability/ you have some policy for the trailer. In most cases liability coverage extends from the tow vehicle to the trailer/ There would not be any insurance for the trailer itself.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I'm in agreement with Soyboy. Adding the trailer to your auto policy is relatively inexpensive and if you have any net worth at all you should consider an umbrella policy to at least cover your net worth. It's cheap and in this society it's worth every penny. Check with your agent.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Make sure that if you want coverage for the trailer /not jut liability/ you have some policy for the trailer. In most cases liability coverage extends from the tow vehicle to the trailer/ There would not be any insurance for the trailer itself.
To add to the above , HO policies do not cover damage to registered vehicles. You may also want to consider the replacement cost rather than what you have into it.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I have had antique cars since high school, and have found that they are more easily insured for true value than are new vehicle. I have four antique vehicles with two different companies. Both of these companies specialize in vintage vehicle and boat insurance. I have had claims with both companies over the years. These claims were handles very quickly and to may satisfaction.

I don't know if they insure vintage trailers, but you might want to give then a try.

They are:

Haggerty Insurance in Traverse City, Michigan

JC Taylor Antique Auto Insurance in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

They both have websites.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Our Trailer is Covered while towing and parked by the same co that carrys my Auto and Home Owners.
When I added it to the policy,I gained a unit discount,which actually lowered the premium on the whole policy.
I am also insured with a Michigan Co That being
AUTO OWNERS of Lansing,Mich
We have an Agreed Value on the Airstream.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Agreed Value

I saw and add in the latest Blue Beret for farm & City Insurance services for their RV insurance. I went to their web site RV Advantage | FCIS Insurance - RV Insurance, Motor Home Insurance, Travel Trailer Insurance and requested an "agreed value" quote for my 1976 31' sovereign. They have now sent me a quote which looks reasonable on the value that I requested. I still have some questions and will need to look at the policy provisions but was wondering if anyone has any information on these guys and their Vintage RV insurance coverage.

Thanks

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I don't know if they insure vintage trailers, but you might want to give then a try.

They are:

JC Taylor Antique Auto Insurance in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

They both have websites.

Brian
I know of people who have insurance on vintage trailers with Haggerty, but they also have antique cars on the policy.

Progressive Insurance has provided very reasonable coverage for vintage trailers also.

It always helps lower the price if you have additional policies.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I've used Haggerty for my Classic cars in the past. They were easy to deal with and very reasonable on price.
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I think I paid $91 yr and when some thief damaged the door & destroyed the door lock the estimate was around $2500 for door & lock. Insurance paid no question asked about the value of a 30 yr old trailer. I think it was Nationwide.

Risk management is a subjective call you just never know what's going to happen down the road but for $91 it was a no brainer for me.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
follow-up agreed value policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I saw and add in the latest Blue Beret for farm & City Insurance services for their RV insurance. I went to their web site RV Advantage | FCIS Insurance - RV Insurance, Motor Home Insurance, Travel Trailer Insurance and requested an "agreed value" quote for my 1976 31' sovereign. They have now sent me a quote which looks reasonable on the value that I requested. I still have some questions and will need to look at the policy provisions but was wondering if anyone has any information on these guys and their Vintage RV insurance coverage.

Thanks

Don
I did get some additional information on the quote that I received for an Agreed Value RV policy. As expected it would require and appraisal in order to established the Agreed Value and there would not be a problem with the age of my 1976 Airstream. The coverage would be through Nationwide and would contain an Endorsement to the policy for the Agreed Value Coverage and I have attached a pdf copy of the endorsement.

Don
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Agreed Value Coverage Amendment.pdf (43.6 KB, 67 views)
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Is trailer insurance worth it? Yep. Peace of mind. Sitting in Gillette during the afternoon thunderstormes and listening to the hail hit the roof. There's no harsh sound than hail its object. Although I did not suffer any damage to my Airstream I had peace of mind knowing that everything was covered by insurance.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #17

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I say insure it but I was looking at blue sky. Anyone heard of it?
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote