Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Insuring an Airstream

Got my paperwork and read through it. Really interesting as the first part is a generic any kind policy per se defining terms etc and declaring. Then come the endorsements as in agreed value and how it changes the previous information. The difference? No depreciated value when considering loss once the value has been previously agreed and 2) the actual cash value becomes agreed value. This is the BIG difference that others have shared about and what I did NOT have previously.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Thanks for making this post it is very helpful to me. Where does one get an estimated value?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Insuring an Airstream

You are welcome Crispy Boy.

Value is the key word. Every company is different. If you own a unit 5 years or newer, you can get a replacement policy and value is determined by your receipt. They replace your unit with new or almost new I guess.

If you purchase a used unit older than five years of age and it is within 2-3 years since purchase, you can still use your receipt for value depending on the company for an agreed value policy.

Beyond that, you must obtain an appraisal to have value determined for agreed value or else get a standard coverage policy where value is elusive (every company I spoke with uses NADA) and ever depreciating.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
longview , Washington
Does anyone have insurance coverage for their AS with USAA?
clipper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Son used them. They seem to be ok. He had a blowout with major damage. They fixed it no hassle. We have the trailer now.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper30 View Post
Does anyone have insurance coverage for their AS with USAA?
Yes, we do.

A little over $200 every six months. Same deductible as vehicles.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I also have USAA. The policy is written by Progressive, obtained through a link on USAA's website. I'm in Florida, so I don't know if that is the case everywhere. My boat is with USAA directly but their boat insurance is now also with Progressive. I'm grandfathered in with USAA direct, but if I got a different boat, it would be insured through Progressive.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Some things to think about beyond the cost of the premiums:

We were babes in the woods when our first Bambi was in an accident. We had to deal with 6 separate companies: our local insurance company (with whom we purchased the policy,) their RV insurance underwriter (the big company behind our local insurance,) the RV insurer's appraisal company (who sent out an appraiser to inspect the damage,) the RV insurance adjustor in a separate company (who handled claims for the insurance company,) and Airstream of Spokane as well as the main office in Ohio ( who finally came up with a second opinion appraisal.)

This took months to sort out. Namely because the appraiser and the claims adjustor itemized the damage (mostly) then priced it out according to an ordinary SOB, and then added another increment to account for our having an Airstream instead of a SOB. The appraiser apparently never went through AS to price out replacement parts, merely worked off of some type of standard RV price list.

Most of our dealings were with the insurance claims adjustor, and these were extensive, primarily because of their lowball estimates on repairs. Finally she agreed that we could get a second appraisal at our expense through AS of Spokane, and then it took them a while to get the quotes from the head office. Finally the adjustor and the underwriter agreed that the Bambi was totalled, and that we were owed replacement cost of our unit when it was new-- which was what our expensive insurance policy said we were paying for. And then the underwriter stalled for several weeks on mailing the check.

Our lessons learned where that:

1. it is worthwhile to get the pricier policy if it covers more. Finding a used unit like our 2005 16' International would have been really difficult, but our policy actually covered a new replacement. Since AS no longer makes this upgraded unit anymore, the insurer was OK with our comparable replacement being the new 19' Flying Cloud.

2. Be prepared for a very long hassle with the claims adjustor. Never mind that you could have been killed in the accident: his/her job is to keep the insurer's costs down.

3. Keep a detailed paper trail, starting with photos of the accident scene, police report, and including all correspondence with everyone.

We were fortunate that one of our neighbours owns the local RV service centre, and he was an excellent source of advice (and backbone) for not settling for less than our full entitlement.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
This discussion is helpful to learn about how much coverage value we should have. My insurance for my 2007 Airstream Safari is through AAA as part of my car coverage. I also have my homeowners and umbrella liability policies through AAA, so I get good multi-policy discounts on all of the policies.

When I purchased the Airstream last September, the dealer recommended Progressive or Allstate as good companies for dealing with claims, and he said not to purchase coverage for the Airstream from Geico. I'm just sharing that information, even though I ultimately switched all of my insurances to AAA.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Often insurance rates are favorably discounted when purchased by members of an affinity group. I wonder whether Air Forums or the WBCCI have affinity insurance vendors.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #31
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am with Geico and the rates seem fare enough but I have had no issues so I have no complaints.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #32
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
The bad news. Our first AS was in an accident last August that required months of haggling with the insurance adjustor, and then having the parent insurance company delay for weeks in actually mailing the check after they agreed to write off the trailer. This was pretty stressful, given that we were nearly badly injured or killed, and we lost a big chunk of our camping season. Nobody thinks you're going to need that insurance someday. We didn't!

The good news. Fortunately we had payed extra for top-of-the-line RV insurance, which ultimately covered the cost of a new replacement.

Our advice would be to go with the insurance company with the highest record of (a) customer satisfaction for prompt, supportive service and (b) pay-outs. Even if they charge more, it would be worth it if you need it.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
I priced insurance online with Progressive this week, but found that Progressive would only provide coverage of ACV, Actual Cash Value, which I gather is the NADA value, not anywhere near what I paid for my 2007 AS last year.
"Total Loss Replacement" is only "available on previously untitled RVs that are up to one model year old and do not have pre-existing damage."
"Agreed Value available on all RVs", but is "available only through certain sources". Apparently, that does not include online application. I'll call Progressive to find out how Agreed Value coverage can be obtained.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
..."Agreed Value available on all RVs", but is "available only through certain sources". Apparently, that does not include online application. I'll call Progressive to find out how Agreed Value coverage can be obtained.
MsineStreamer, I would also be interested in your experience there.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #35
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I had success with GEICO.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
What is your advice about the most suitable comprehensive and collision deductible. The primary options are $1,000 or $500 or $250.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
For such coverages, I prefer to take the highest option to lower the premium, since I prefer protection from "disaster" against paying for protection from losing a few hundred.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Insuring an Airstream

I shopped several companies and, as I shared, agreed policy is the better coverage for units older than five years. Replacement is available for newer new to five years and some companies do not issue it unless covered when new.

Most companies only use actual cash value- NADA or worse wholesale.

The alert is that companies cut off issuing agreed value at 2-3 years from purchase date or require appraisal.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Livingston , Texas
Hello, Len and Jeanne,

From which company did you get your premium insurance? I'm going to be purchasing my AS next week and would appreciate knowing who you were with when you had your accident.

Thank you!
Runwoman
Runwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
State Farm asked me how much it was worth, and insured it for that amount. The premium is figured for that amount as well.

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote