Old 05-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
Insuring a '59?

Anyone had any luck getting insurance on an oldie?

I started with State Farm because we have most everything else with them...They were able to give me a quote based on the original purchase price but were unable to tell me what the pay out would be in the event of a total loss or theft...??? they didn't even want to talk about stated value?

Progressive was great, and even faxed me a quote.... They renigged after I had the agent check into what I needed to do to document (official appraisal, etc) the stated value...

They sent me to RV specialties/Gilbert RV insurance who apparently doesn't cover anything too 'special' ie. old? only some older motor homes but not a TT this old?

So now I'm kind of out of things to try....

What have you guys settled on?

Old 05-06-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Oldie Insurance

Traveller,

You may want to continue the process with Progressive. Their program is a good one. You may even be able to deal direct with them on their internet site & phone.

Make sure you have an agreed value
no matter who you go with. You can start with the purchase price. Send them a bill of sale & a couple of pictures. You can always increase the insured value, at any time, with documented expense reciepts and/or an appraisal. (Appraisal are tough sometimes ... to find a dealer that is qualified and will do that for you).

Indemnify yourself for what you've got in it, and increase it as you go along.

There are some previous discussions in the following:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15569

With many underwriters ... you will have to be careful on what they will cover and what they exclude, with particular attention to the depreciation factors they apply to certain items.

Best bet, read the policy first. These are boiler plate although usually specific and exclusive to each individual insurance company. Your agent can get you one if they are appointed to sell their policies.

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
I'm not sure I have an option to continue the process with Progressive?

To elaborate, I recieved a faxed quote from them which was very reasonable and covered all of the key points I required: theft, fire, acts of God, vandalism, etc.

She explained that I would have 30 days from the day I accepted the offer, to offer proof of the stated value (e.g. certified appraisal, etc.) so I had her check to see what that actually meant and who in my area could vouch for such....she put me on hold to check with customer service, and when she came back, told me that they wouldn't have any way to validate a stated value on something that old??? I took this to mean they just didn't want to fool with it? because, as I was reading this situation, the appraisor would be validating it?

She gave me several other numbers to try like GMAC and Specialty RV but I didn't even get that far with them?

So is an old Airstream uninsurable (from a practicle standpoint?)?
Anyone run into this (and resolve it)?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Appraisal

From your response, I can only assume that you are dealing with an agent that is inexperienced with these matters.

I emailed you a note. Follow those instructions. I think I found someone to provide you with an appraisal that is close to you. If you need it.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Not sure if this helps - but if you know of an airstream dealer they might be able to help you out - by providing a "letter" you draw up for them to endorse. Or possibly airstream Inc may help.

Anyway we needed insurance for our 69 GT - we used the Price vs Condition document - to put a fair market value on the trailer - our friend who helped us in t Louisianna basically wrote up a letter confirming why it was valued based on the Price vs Condition document.

This letter was signed by the Sales person - to vouch that he worked for Airstream.

These two documents were faxed to our Insurance company and we were provided INSTANT insurance for $8,000.00 US - once we finish her complete restore we will then re-insure her for upwards of $14,000. US

Also anyone into getting a new job I would think this could be a nice little side job - valuating Vintage Airstreams - and providing verified letters to consumers to provide to their Insurance companies. Just a thought.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I'd say if one can insure "Antiques" then, there's no reason why you couldn't find a policy for your '59...KWIM??
Good luck on your endeavors.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
I agree with Vern-

We used the same licensed antique appraiser that we used to insure our '55 Olds. Having someone like that do an appraisal will cost around $100, but it is worth every last penny.

Barb
Old 05-07-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Peerenboom
We used the same licensed antique appraiser that we used to insure our '55 Olds. Having someone like that do an appraisal will cost around $100, but it is worth every last penny.

Barb
Barb,
We use Formost Insurance for our 1975 Tradewind As.
They do old trailers and manufactured homes with no problems.
Chuck
WBCCI#7854