Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Charlottesville , Virginia
Insurance without a truck - Is it possible?

I'm having an issue insuring a 1962 Globetrotter and could use a bit of advice.

We bought the airstream with the intention of turning it into a mobile art studio/community engagement space that will pair a local artist with residents to create art all around the city. Though, I'm having trouble getting the trailer insured.

The organization does not own a truck to pull the trailer. I was going to borrow one from a supporter when we needed it. As I understand it, when the airstream is being towed it takes on the insurance of the truck.

I also want to get some insurance to cover liability and any damage that might happen when it is around the city.

Thus far I've gone to two insurers around town and they say they cannot insure the trailer without an accompanying vehicle.

Any advice or experience would be massively appreciated.
bridgepai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
You will need to approach an RV insurer. P&C company's do not generally insure without a vehicle. You will want an "agreed value" policy, not a "stated value". Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I think they're just trying to get more business. Our other vehicles are all insured through USAA and we had no trouble getting our Airstream insured by another carrier. Try Allied.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Call FCIS at 800-331-1520 or go to www.rvadvantge.com. They have treated us well.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Progressive insured my trailer when I had no vehicles insured with them.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sounds like you need to contact an insurance company that handles commercial vehicles; Sounds like a business to me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I have insurance for Liability and Physical damage this is very expensive $1200+ per year. The insurance on the trailer when hitched to the car does not include liability if the tv is not in an accident.I think that the damage to the tv would not be covered since the trailer is triple the cost of my TV. But my insurance is like a Home Owners policy and covers everything when parked. I am dealing with Allied (Nationwide) Company. No problems getting it. Because you are running a business out of the trailer you will probably need to get a commercial insurance policy which may be a whole lot more difficult. If the trailer is used for transportation and no customers are allowed inside you might get away with a consumer policy.

Happy Streaming
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You need to look for an insurance company that specializes in RVs. You will get a better deal and they understand the RV life style. If I were to insure my trailer through my automotive insurance carrier it would cast me at least 50% more.

The point about business insurance is more of an issue for you because of the increased liability. You might be better with two separate insurance policies.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Progressive Insurance

I concur with CRH. Even though I can't stand "Flo" and those Progressive Insurance ads on T.V., my girlfriend was able to get full replacement insurance for her 22'FB Bambi Sport. I own the tow vehicle and she owns the travel trailer...neither of us has any other insurance with Progressive.
pablocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Yes, Blue Sky, google is your friend.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgepai View Post
I'm having an issue insuring a 1962 Globetrotter and could use a bit of advice.

We bought the airstream with the intention of turning it into a mobile art studio/community engagement space that will pair a local artist with residents to create art all around the city. Though, I'm having trouble getting the trailer insured.

The organization does not own a truck to pull the trailer. I was going to borrow one from a supporter when we needed it. As I understand it, when the airstream is being towed it takes on the insurance of the truck.

I also want to get some insurance to cover liability and any damage that might happen when it is around the city.

Thus far I've gone to two insurers around town and they say they cannot insure the trailer without an accompanying vehicle.

Any advice or experience would be massively appreciated.

I believe where I live, it is correct that the trailer is insured by the tow vehicle's insurance, but that is only from the standpoint of liability - not for collision coverage, fire, theft etc. you need to buy that insurance separately and I don't think it has any relation to a particular vehicle. I don't think I have ever been asked whatI tow with.

An interesting point - that is not relevant to my own situation, but could be for some others, is whether the vehicle insurance would still provide liability coverage for the trailer if, after an accident, the trailer being towed was found to significantly exceeded the tow vehicle manufacturer's rated towing capacity.

Most likely folks who do use such tow vehicles would have looked into this and perhaps there is no issue with it at all.

I would certainly want to verify that with my insurance company if ever contemplating venturing into that territory. I would not rely on someone else's opinion in that regard unless they agreed to foot the bill for any successful claim on me!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Clipper and Tug

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to elstunr
Before we put everything under USAA I had the trailer with Shelter Insurance. They never asked what I was towing with and USAA did not ask, either. this was in Colorado and the rules may be different in Virginia. I would agree that this may require commercial insurance. Good Luck.
elstunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peterborough , New Hampshire
I have my 23FB insured with USAA. They never asked about a tow vehicle.
terrylarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I would check with Progressive for the trailer insurance. Our trailer is insured with Progressive and our house and cars/trucks are insured with another carrier.

We put the trailer with Progressive because they offered a "stated value" policy while our regular carrier would not do this.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Progressive also gave me an agreed value policy.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Insurance without a truck - Is it possible?

Just another vote for Progressive. First 5 years on a brand new trailer you get replacement coverage. After that point it's stated value based on what you paid. At this point if my 12 year old Classic was totaled, I would get a payout for my original purchase price of the trailer back in 2004. Plus the road service coverage covers both the trailer and tow vehicle, even if the tow vehicle is not insured by Progressive. Tow vehicle gets disabled they will tow trailer and tow vehicle.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Several issues: What you are proposing to use the AS for is technically a commercial purpose, not as a recreational vehicle, therefore you will need to provide commercial coverage. Insurance laws vary from state to state (my expertise is New York), but generally speaking, liability insurance (harm or damage you do to others) on a trailer comes from the vehicle that is towing it. Liability while it is parked and being used as a gallery/outreach, etc. will need to come from a Comprehensive General Liability (CGL) policy. This is a business liability policy that is "portable" as to location, versus a "premises liability" (OL&T) for a building or fixed location. Contractors use CGLs, as they need their insurance to follow them from job site to job site. Thirdly, comes physical damage coverage for the trailer and contents. Again, this needs to be both commercial and portable, so what you are looking for is an "inland marine floater". This can usually be packaged with your Commercial Auto and CGL to save you some money. Again, this is NOT personal or RV-type insurance as many people above have recommended. In fact, personal and RV policies EXCLUDE any commercial activity! Any good independent insurance agent who handles commercial insurance coverages should be able to fix you up with what you need. Good Luck!