Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Question Insurance - When is enough enough

It's my understanding that most TV policies provide liability insurance for a towed vehicle. What additional insurance do you carry on your trailer when it's on the road? How bout when its just parked for a long period of time?
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
I'm gona run this one again. With so much dent activity on the forum just now, maybe I'll get a bigger responce
Old 06-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
I'm gonna run this one again. With so much dent activity on the forum just now, maybe I'll get a bigger responce
If you're going to be parked and living in it, it is different from parked and stored. Parked and living in it, a fulltimer's policy is really a good idea.
After what recently happened to me, I would recommend a million dollar liability policy, but that is probably more than you need.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I carry comp, but don't have good experience with full value being covered. My '98 Safari was totalled last summer with a poor replacement settlement.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If you're going to be parked and living in it, it is different from parked and stored. Parked and living in it, a fulltimer's policy is really a good idea.
After what recently happened to me, I would recommend a million dollar liability policy, but that is probably more than you need.
I certainly agree that liability coverage is important. Can you have a umbralla liability policy that covers all your property?

Certainly we must have some fourm members that have insurance skills. I don't have a clue to what is the best for the dollar and my agents are not to helpful
Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
It's my understanding that most TV policies provide liability insurance for a towed vehicle. What additional insurance do you carry on your trailer when it's on the road? How bout when its just parked for a long period of time?
Most insurance companies, indeed, do provide liability coverage for your "towed" vehicle.

HOWEVER, that liability coverage "only" applies as long as the trailer is attached to the tow vehicle.

The instant you disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle, you have zero liability coverage for the trailer.

It is always best to carry collision and comprehensive insurance on the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Most insurance companies, indeed, do provide liability coverage for your "towed" vehicle.

HOWEVER, that liability coverage "only" applies as long as the trailer is attached to the tow vehicle.

The instant you disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle, you have zero liability coverage for the trailer.

It is always best to carry collision and comprehensive insurance on the trailer.

Andy
I carry comp and collision coverage on our trailer equal to that on our tow vehicle. I suggested that if the trailer ever bacame separated from the tow vehicle while towing, the insurance company could try to use the "not connected" part to deny a claim. If it winds up looking like a prop from the movie "Twister", it will pay loss of use, and presonal belonging reimbursement equal to 1/3 the original cost of the trailer. It costs an extra $120/ year. Full timing insurance is slightly more, but I think it is worth it.
You can get an umbrella policy to cover all your vehicles, as long as you own your own home.