Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
and it continues

Now, after many minutes on the phone....State Farm will not insure the Airstream unless I move my TV over to them as well. I hate to leave USAA after 45 years of claim free business. The search continues.

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
Good experience with Foremost

Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Yesterday I tried to get insurance for my 66 Caravel from USAA. I was told that they did not offer that coverage. Would not consider it and referred me to other Companies. What are you all insuring if you say you use USAA? Must be newer Airstreams. Still looking for an insurance company.....anyone have a good company with vintage Airstream experience?
Our 1969 27' Overlander was broadsided on our trip to Death Valley on December 30, 2007. The person who hit us is insured with Foremost (a RV arm of Farmers). We were able to convince the insurance company that our trailer was "restored and collectible." We had receipts for all of our improvements, photographs of the trailer both inside and out, and we had a professional appraiser prepare a report. We were very happy with the settlement of our claim. We are insured with Safeco and had claimed the value of what we had in the trailer when we added the trailer to our policy. Not sure if that had anything to do with the settlement or not. The other party was 100% at fault so our insurance company did not get involved because we settled with Foremost.

It seems to me that the trailer can be added to your current auto/truck policy- but we stressed to our agent that our Airstream was not just an old 1969 travel trailer and we wanted to insure it for what we had into it. We provided documentation from the beginning--and upped the value as we went along. Ultimately we had to show what other comparable trailers were selling for and it helped that there are so many restorations on line. And polishing the trailer sure helped our cause. pj

Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
Bandit our Boxer
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
My 65 Caravel is insured w/AAA.

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.

-John Muir
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote