Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
Insurance if I rent out my Airstream

I have a chance to rent my Airstream for college football tailgating weekends. I would place the trailer so there would be no renter towing it. Just using it for two nights/weekend.

I have not been able to find insurance. A wonderful company specializing in commercial RV use is MBA but they don't handle any RV manufactured before 2000 and mine is a 1992.

ANY ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.
tomcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You are braver with your Airstream than I am. 🙀

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Call one of the Airstream custom build companies that does conversions to rolling food stands. They might be able to help. Or a company that can get you coverage through Lloyd's of London.

But I'm with Michael. Can you say trashed in an instant a college tailgate weekend....

Second idea. Rent it out for the value of replacement. Kind of like when Harrison Ford in one of the Jack Ryan movies asked the guy about how much to buy the helicopter to rescue his buddies. "$3 million dollars". How much to rent it. "$3 million dollars" Ok will you take a company check?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Insurance if I rent out my Airstream

For some reason the image of Flounder's car in "Animal House" keeps resonating in my brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Smart…I would have suggested that you move it for them

I can't think of a price that would be fair to you and affordable for them.

Calculate your time and gas at two round trips, propane, cost of charging the batts, cleaning before and after, sheets?, dumping, time to teach them.
Figure in wear and tear, compensation for your investment in trailer, and tow vehicle, insurance, a slight profit…whatever else I forgot...It adds up. I see it as a four day job.

I rent out sound gear. When it's someone I don't know and or trust, or they are not experienced, or they will be drinking…It's mandatory that a tech goes with the package deal. If they want the status of an Airstream and convenience, either they pay for what they are getting or no deal. Figure in for your tuxedo rental, shave and haircut too. They save on hotel room and a DUI. Oh yeah Security deposit.

A grand for the package? You should walk away feeling like you robbed them. They should walk away bragging about how much they paid. If they balk at the price, offer them the less expensive Deluxe Pop Up Package.( set up is extra ) What were you and they thinking about price?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Seems you would need at least a million in liability insurance for when they get drunk and stupid to cover the resulting damages and medical bills.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
I rented my PA to Warner Brothers...

They paid - in advance - and covered all insurance costs up to full MSRP replacement of trailer. Your situation is so short, AND the risks so huge. It's NOT worth the risk or insurance issues. If you won't be there to chaperone your baby - and even then - is it REALLY worth the money. Some MSU students just recently TRASHED a ski lodge in MI
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
I need to find that out too, been thinking of Airbnb, but if you rent off site, away from your actual home, their insurance doesn't cover for liability. At least with Airbnb you get to see reviews & bios on your potential guests, would help eliminate any undesirables.
I'd love to make the trailer "pay" for it's self by renting weekly to campers, they find the campsite, & I tow it there. Min of weekly rental, but I think commercial liability insurance is prohibitively expensive.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
We rent our Airstream on Airbnb.com They have something like a $1,000,000 insurance policy, though I hesitate to test what they actually would pay out for our 1968 Overlander. That said, guests leave it in excellent condition every time and we are making it pay for itself.

I should add that we are selective with who we rent to. I am not sure I would rent to a handful a guys getting lit up before and after a football game. My 2cents
AirstreamPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Liability Issues?

Please have a very tight legal waiver drawn up to transfer as much liability to those renting your AS.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Legal waivers do not hold up in court. All RV and personal automobile policies, such as on your TV have commercial exclusions. The minute you rent out TT or TV, all insurance disappears. You might just end up going through Lloyds of London to get the proper coverage, but it won't be cheap. Neither will paying to clean up all the puke after the party...