Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Insurance for vintage airstreams

what does one do for insurance for a vintage trailer.....as i am about to purchase a 1975/76 trade wind land yacht???
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Search for the 'agreed insurance' thread here. I am going through this right now with Farm and City Ins., they sell ins. for Allied . You will need a certified appraiser to help you figure the value of the vintage.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
Progressive will also do agreed value and have been easy to work with so far
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I self insure. Have more then one so there is always another if one gets destroyed.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlop View Post
Progressive will also do agreed value and have been easy to work with so far
I have Progressive. But I was told that they don't write agreed polices anymore. I have 8k agreed for my 66 Caravel(which is to low). It cost me only $175 a year. Why would you self ins. with rates that low? One blow out can do thousands of dollars in damage.

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
I have Progressive. But I was told that they don't write agreed polices anymore. I have 8k agreed for my 66 Caravel(which is to low). It cost me only $175 a year. Why would you self ins. with rates that low? One blow out can do thousands of dollars in damage.

Ace in PA
Ace that's $175 x 5 trailers x 12 years so far = $10,500 in the bank for me, that's why.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
[QUOTE=aceflys;1181567]I have Progressive. But I was told that they don't write agreed polices anymore.

I tried progressive... and was told they would insure it. After a bunch of back and forth, the truth finally came out ...they do not do 'agreed on' insurance for vintage trailers and if any thing happened it would be rated at a 'stated value' which means even if insured for $15,000 and I paid that premiums based on that, it would be book value ... Hmm... what do you think the book value is on a 45+ year old trailer? Double talk and snake oil is all they really offered.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I called Progressive. They told me that they don't write agreed value policies. So far I haven't found anybody to write it for me.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
I just got Progressive Agreed Value on my restored 78 Argosy like I did on my 83 Airstream .... so a lot of questions here
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I have agreed value from Nationwide.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have my 1964 Bambi II insured thru Foremost. I do have "agreed value" with them. Book value is only about 4K, we "agreed" on a value of 15K. Progressive and Allstate would not even talk to me about insurance for my trailer. I have my home and truck thru Allstate so was a bit surprised when they would not write a policy for the trailer. It is covered on my home policy when parked at the house.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I think I will revisit my agent and double check what I think I have. No need for surprises.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
This "agreed value" thing comes up around here occasionally.
I would like to hear from Crawford Gene or is it Gene Crawford (an attorney) about his thoughts on this subject.
I would think anything agreed would need a pretty definitive contract.
I have learned to rarely trust an insurance agent. Not that they are outright dishonest, but when a loss occurs they InMyExperience , turn it over to "claims" and the agent's hands are tied.
They seem to have about as much down the line clout as a car salesman would when the car starts going bad.
I'm afraid they are just sales facilitators in many instances.IMHO.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Crawford, CO is near the home of Gene ______. Agreed that he might be willing to point things in the right direction . . . if other concerns aren't damping down the requisite brain cells.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Carol,

Did you just buy a trailer that has granite counter tops, new axle, and BBQ pit on the a frame? out of Dallas?

Steve
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We have a 1963 restored Bambi. We contacted our regular auto insurance, State Farm, and they insure our trailer... we had to supply photos and links/images of similar trailers (ebay, etc.) to help establish the value. We were able to do all of this with a minimum amount of trouble. We also carry extra towing insurance with State Farm in case our tow vehicle breaks down, because we didn't want our Bambi sitting alongside the road by itself. We have ours insured for its value and the extra towing.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I haven't had to deal with agreed value because we have a pretty new trailer, so I'm ignorant on this.

I think the issues are affected by tradition. A car or truck declines in value until it becomes a classic and then there is probably special insurance for that. I don't know because I don't own any Duesenbergs. A house traditionally increases in value (except lately) and insurance companies are used to increasing insured value for real estate.

As anyone knows who has dealt with underwriters, they are very conservative and unable to bend. Most RV decline in value and then fall apart. That is what they know and the Airstream market is small to them. It is not cost efficient to check it out and understand it. It also takes a lot of time to learn about it and develop tables for Airstreams. Thus, some many entertain your request if you hire an appraiser, just like they want appraisals on mortgages.

Insurance agents are salesmen only now. It used to be a profession with good income (my father-in-law was an agent years ago until he retired more than 20 years ago), but the insurance companies cut commissions over and over and now the agents have no power and make less money. If you have a claim, you call the company, not the agent. The agent used to steer you through the process and make sure you were treated well; no more. Agents I have talked to are unhappy with this and have no more regard for the insurance company than the rest of us do.

The only thing to do is call the company and find out what the situation is for each company. You may talk to someone in a call center who doesn't know much either. It is a struggle not unlike dealing with health insurance. Usually it takes a lot of time which not everyone can do. I have no idea where one finds an RV appraiser but the insurance company may have a list of such appraisers and it may be they are people who undervalue the RV. This is not a good situation. Once you find a company that has "agreed value" policies, you may find there are lots of loopholes in the policy favoring the company and then you'll have to go to law school to understand what you are reading, and even then, you may not understand it, or see there are multiple interpretations. When I read a policy of any kind I find ambiguities, vagueness, poor drafting and appeals stacked against the insured. This works 2 ways—they can deny coverage, but usually on flimsy grounds, and those grounds are easy to challenge for some people (see part about going to law school), but the company counts on you accepting their interpretation. Most people don't challenge them or don't know how, so this works for the company.

Since our trailer will be 5 this fall, I'd better look into this. I do not look forward to it.

I'm sorry I can't tell a better story.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Foremost has a very good reputation with vintage owners for standing behind their agreed value policies. The rates I got were very competitive with other quotes I received. I hope I never have to test them, but I think they will be easy to deal with if the need comes up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Just an update... we got a hold of Farm & City (FCIS), told them what we where looking for. They gave us the name of the nearest appraiser to us. We had him come out and do a written appraisal and photos which he sent to FCIS, and the next day we had an agreed upon issurance policy. No muss no fuss.
Barry& Karen
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
Just an update... we got a hold of Farm & City (FCIS), told them what we where looking for. They gave us the name of the nearest appraiser to us. We had him come out and do a written appraisal and photos which he sent to FCIS, and the next day we had an agreed upon issurance policy. No muss no fuss.
Barry& Karen
This is how State Farm insures mine - sort of. I submit an appraisel and photo's each year and if I submit a claim then they have the option of having an independant appraiser submit an appraisel. If his is significantly different then mine then I can submit another appraisel from a 3rd appraiser and the median appraisel will be used - unless they decide to dispute the third appraisel and then who know what happens. Not sure how well an after the damage is done appraisel works but that's the way it is.

Personally I think this is kind of stupid. I should be able to name a value to which they name a price to insure it for that value, end of story. Works that way for classic cars and airplanes, why not vintage Airstreams. I couldn't find an insurance company that was willing to go that way though. In fact half or so of the companies I talked with wouldn't even cover it.