Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Insurance for roving full-timer

I'm having trouble finding insurance for TV and trailer because I don't have a permanent address. Is there a carrier out there that insures without an address one calls home?

Can one use a RV park address for a home address? What about a PO Box?

Does anyone obtain insurance and then cancel upon entering and leaving a particular state? For example, 5 months in Utah, then leaving for Colorado.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
How do you license or register?
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Um yeah. Just use your domicle. Not sure why'd you have that problem. Progressive gave me a great full timers quote for agreed upon value of our Airstream that I'll be using when we go full time. Right now I'm using them but under a pleasure policy since I know we won't be using it more than 30 days till we go full time.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
As was asked where is your 'domicile'? Where do you vote? What do you put on your tax return? What state do you pay taxes in? Where do you get mail? Where is your health insurance home? Lots of information on Google. Some folks like South Dakota. Others Texas or Florida. Check out the information at the Escapees website. Every situation is different and with the advent of the Affordable Care Act lots of things have changed. It's the whole package not just one piece to get the answers that you want.

What you shouldn't do, in case of accident, is have the TV/TT insured in one place, car and trailer registration in another, license in a third. Wouldn't want to see the outcome on an insurance claim....
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
I'm from California but in two months my AS will be my home; I have no other home. My truck & trailer are registered in CA. I will be using a PO Box during winter in St. George, Utah for health insurance but I don't think that will be permanent. Is there a carrier that insures vehicles that do not have a standing domicile?
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Hi;

We had the same problem when we sold our house in Il. Our agent for 20 years said he could no longer insure our cars without a legal street address. After mad searching on the interwebs we found that we could only be domiciled and get insurance in three states without having a street address: Fl, Tx, and one of the Dakotas. This may have changed.

We immediately flew down to Fl, declared we wanted to be domiciled there, registered to vote, registered our trailer and then got DL's with the trailer plate number as our Fl address. Our voting address is the county court house.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We got our insurance thru Miller Insurance co., out of Oregon.

503-636-6347, in case you are interested.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote