Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
Insurance Carriers

Good Day All,

I searched the forums, but didn't find any threads on "insurance" when I used the search function, so hope I'm not repeating a thread, but wanted some feedback on insurance.

I recently bought my first Airstream; 2016 19' Flying Cloud. When I purchased through our area dealer, they don't provide GAP insurance, and oddly nor does Bank of America who financed the trailer. With auto dealers, the lenders and dealers (when they are financing directly) will offer GAP insurance. GAP covers the difference between the market value and the loan say if the market value is less than the balance on the loan.

I have my auto coverage (USAA) and they cover the trailer, but when I inquired about what they would pay on my new $62,000 trailer if it was a total loss, they responded with: "we pay fair value." What I wasn't hearing was; "we pay full replacement cost."

I've connected with another service carrier (an extension of their road side assistance and extended warranty services), but they don't provide extended services or GAP in ten states; CA being one of them.

So, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Posse96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
USAA is probably not underwriting that; they toss that off to Progressive. I went with Nationwide because they were lower cost and because they were willing to do agreed value with an appraisal. Otherwise, your insurance ends up being way less than the cost to get another trailer, pretty quickly.
I have never investigated gap insurance but there are a number of threads on the forum about agreed value.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Try FCIS out of Forest City Iowa, 800 331 1520, agents I dealt with for agreed value of my 1976 AS were Robin Nelson and Renae Hopp, both very pleasant, very up on INS of AS as they insure many AS, Moho, all kinds of rec stuff auto, trucks. home. farms, etc. Only co. that would ins my 1976 AS for agreed value, price was reasonable. There will prob . some other post this thread that have FCIS and what I have read all happy so far. Agreed value is only kind of Ins that will pay that figure not book or any other mickey mouse formula that they use. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote