Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I have to whine about Progressive

We took out an Agreed Value policy with Progressive in Spring, 2010 for our Overlander for $11,000. $1000 deductible. Standard stuff.

Over the last 6 years, our policy premium has nearly tripled. Anybody else seeing increases like this? We have excellent credit scores, no claims on any insurance policy of any kind and very clean driving records (no tickets, blah, blah). In other words, no obvious reason for the high price increases. Age maybe? We're gettin' up there. Though neither of us has reached "retirement age" yet.

Any ideas?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have State Farm, and my homeowners has taken a big jump over the past few years.

I've never made a claim, never missed a premium, have excellent credit, etc.

I questioned it, they never did adequately explain it, in my opinion.

The computers apparently generate rates, pulling in all kinds of information from a multitude of sources.

It seems to be a trend, from what I have been able to find out.

Maggie
Old 02-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Further whinning

Thanks Maggie.

Just by way of comparison, refrigerators don't cost 300% more now than 6 years ago. Or couches. Or tires or car batteries. Or bird seed. And of course, my salary hasn't increased 3x. Maybe I need need to dump 'em. Tell Flo "I luv ya babe, but yer price gun whatchamacallit is busted".

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 02-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Yeah, insurance rates are a real mystery. It seems like the only way to protect yourself is to shop around every few years. I just "saved 15% or more" by shifting my truck insurance to Geico. But that is more complicated with an Airstream agreed value policy.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Insurance is based on your credit and income to some degree. It's a scam for sure. Mine has gone done every year my credit has improved. Since hitting 820 it's at it's lowest ever in my life.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Insurance is based on your credit and income to some degree. It's a scam for sure. Mine has gone done every year my credit has improved. Since hitting 820 it's at it's lowest ever in my life.
Yup. Ours is 800 +. Maybe the vehicle insurance people are taking a clue from the (health care) insurance industry in general. RAISE PRICES, RAISE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I need a beer.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 02-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
We took out an Agreed Value policy with Progressive in Spring, 2010 for our Overlander for $11,000. $1000 deductible. Standard stuff.

Over the last 6 years, our policy premium has nearly tripled. Anybody else seeing increases like this? We have excellent credit scores, no claims on any insurance policy of any kind and very clean driving records (no tickets, blah, blah). In other words, no obvious reason for the high price increases. Age maybe? We're gettin' up there. Though neither of us has reached "retirement age" yet.

Any ideas?

Jim
Just Google Progressive and Peter Lewis to find out why.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Just Google Progressive and Peter Lewis to find out why.
Yup, clued in about that. I don't care too much for the company. But the prices were originally reasonable. Today, not so much.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 02-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Yup, clued in about that. I don't care too much for the company. But the prices were originally reasonable. Today, not so much.

Jim
They have to pay for all of their advertising somehow.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Mine went down on first renewal with better coverage and full timers.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Rates mostly match the insurer's experience. Underwriting is a complicated math problem that attempts to forecast loss exposure based on chosen indicators while also providing a profit. If the company underwrites policies for too many folks who have a loss rate worse than predicted, then rates will go up. However, the reverse never seems to be true...

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Progressive and Geico are third tier insurers. It is common for their initially-low premiums to skyrocket in later years.

Each of you should write a letter of complaint to your state insurance commissioner. It may do little good for you individually but makes a record of predatory pricing practices. If enough people complain...

Jay & Lisa
splyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Insurance is simply put a legal ponzi scam. For the most part we all need it and usually do not use it but we have to have it.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Consumer Reports had a great article on insurance in general. They are trying to get states to require insurers to release info on how rates are established. One take away was that staying with a company for years did not result in lower prices, so it's good to shop around every year. Also California is one of 2 states where insurers cannot use credit scores to establish insurance fees.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Insurances rates are driven by many factors, I've seen a few addressed in the notes above, one factor not addressed is that you're in a pool of people, and while credit score is meaningful - how that pool performs overall carries more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My homeowners insurance took a jump the year my husband died, then again last year.

Vehicle insurance has remained the same.

I made some phone calls to see if I could get better rates, and found that I could for the house but vehicle rates would jump quite a bit because of my decades with State Farm.

One representative told me I would probably not get a good answer from SF for the homeowners rate increase, and I didn't.

It seems a racket, to me, but we've got to have it.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Shillington , Pennsylvania
If any of you guys are armed forces veterans, the child of a vet, or active duty, USAA Insurance is the company to go to. I have all my insurance, home ,auto, life with them. They are top rated with Consumer Reports and they are a coop so you get dividends at the end of each year. You can't beat them. If not a vet, join the Army just so you can get this insurance. It's worth it. GO ARMY !
jimstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
Essentially "insurance" may be the biggest scam going. I carry no insurance on anything I'm not required to carry; car liability (state req), house fire (bank req). I like to calculate how much I save by not sending money for life insurance, product insurance, pet health insurance, and on and on. I simply invest that money in real estate or other commodity that I know will increase in value. Result: I have earned over $1.5 million from that program alone and I am 77! Have a backup plan and say goodbye to all insurance brokers.
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Allstate, several years ago divided the company or plans and offered/invited us to participate in the newer plan. We were hesitant to switch because we had used the same agent and then his son for several generations of my DH family.

They explained that this plan was being offered to their better driver, better credit score, more established customers. They said pooling their customers into like groups could keep our rates lower.

We did the switch, not sure of any actual long term savings. Interestingly enough when I call for insurance advice they never seem to be willing to explain the industry.

Gotta have it. Arrrgh.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
USAA is the best if you must have insurance at all. I agree.
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote