Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
All the insurance companies are the same...rip offs. They are making record profits & the executives are taking in multi-million dollar bonuses. Yet they say they need to raise rates because they have to pay out.
ahillring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Had USAA on our cars but have continued to raise our rates. Our house insurance was with another company which was subsequently bought out and decided to change the way they figure insurance rates - the rate doubled. USAA was also way too high.
I shopped around and went with Farm Bureau who beat them all by a fair amount.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstream View Post
If any of you guys are armed forces veterans, the child of a vet, or active duty, USAA Insurance is the company to go to. I have all my insurance, home ,auto, life with them. They are top rated with Consumer Reports and they are a coop so you get dividends at the end of each year. You can't beat them. If not a vet, join the Army just so you can get this insurance. It's worth it. GO ARMY !
I tried to look into USAA and could not get to first base. Did not return phone calls and when I did get someone on the line was transferred to someone else and disconnected. We have been with State Farm for a number of years and like the fact that I can drive to a local agent's office and get immediate service. Also have had some large claims for hail and wind damage and several small collision claims and have always been paid promptly. Our premiums have gone up this year more than previously so they have apparently had heavy claims in our state. I will try USAA again just to compare.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I was a 31 year customer with USAA home and auto until about 5 years ago. Their rates in the last 10 years have gotten too high compared to the competition . It was when they decided to charge 2% for roof damage deductible that I decided to check around. I think they are back to 1% now. I keep checking on their rates every year when it's time to renew home and auto but they are still high. This is living in Texas and Missouri. I've pretty much given up on them. They don't seem to offer the same quality of service today like they did years ago.

Kelvin
Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
Colo.Dave

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2003 25' Safari
Parker , Colorado
Progressive Paid big on this hit:
Have a 2015 FC 27FB insured by Progressive/Total Lose coverage for $817. We were up at Mueller State Park west of Pikes Peak at the tail end of the season and got HAMMERED by hail, almost all damage on the top and end caps. Got the truck as well (insured by State Farm). Progressive & Timeless Travel Trailers (I wouldn't let the local AS dealer touch it) estimated the repair loss at $43,800, so Prog. called it totaled. Progressive's estimator found microscopic nicks on lower panels that I really couldn't see. Gave us the option of replacing the trailer, or keeping it, allowing us to either repair or do nothing. I reviewed the trailer with the Timeless estimator, and after deducting the panels I couldn't see damage on, the estimate to repair came to $25,130. This left us with almost $18,700 net pay out. That will cover lots of future "insurance payments". Needless to say, because it was totaled out they couldn't re-insure it, so we're looking.
Dingram/Colo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Long Beach , California
Go see an independent insurance agent. He can shop lots of markets. Be sure to combine cars with homeowners. Airstream can be covered for stated amount under comprehensive coverage on auto portion. Out our way Safeco Ins. Co. does a good job.
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
They have to pay for all of their advertising somehow.
Yes - Flo is apparently very highly paid!

When we got our 1960 Avion T20 in 2012 - Progressive had stopped writing any Agreed Value policies on trailers at all - or at least in CA - (they were recco'd by a local AS/etc. vintage trailer restorer who also did our PPI).

So that may be why they're jacking up rates on folks still with them on Agreed Value, so they can get rid of their existing policies & get out of that "guaranteed payment" business.

IMHO you're being driven away, or made to pay thru the nose if you stay.

We had AAA for many years on the cars, & surprisingly they also did an Agreed Value policy with us on the Avion, based on the restorer's PPI & opinion of value (he's not an appraiser). That was shortly after AAA added an RV/Trailer & Motorcycle Rider available for their auto insurance policies, & for Roadside Assistance.

Our AAA rates on the cars & Avion have been pretty flat over the 3-4 years since then with only minor changes of a couple of percent - & the cars had gone down a lot in 2011 once both kids were gone!

Also be aware that with AAA your year #2> should be at a lower net cost than the first year (barring an at fault accident or something) - since after you're first year with them you will get a varying amount of policy reduction from their policy holder dividends, since it's a policy holder owned company (in name anyway, the staff & board still does what they want!).

However, note that we're in CA where the state's Insurance Commissioner keeps all insurers rates within less drastic change limits, & precludes some of the "games" they play, such as rating insurance on BS credit & FICO scores!

Maybe check with AAA in your state(s) for Agreed Value.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
What can you expect from a company owned by George Soros?
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #29
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
Go see an independent insurance agent. He can shop lots of markets. Be sure to combine cars with homeowners. Airstream can be covered for stated amount under comprehensive coverage on auto portion. Out our way Safeco Ins. Co. does a good job.
"Stated Value" is different & less valuable to the insured than "Agreed Value", because the insurer can reduce or depreciate the former, which has not been the case with vintage trailers - since they have been going up in value.

Folks should read up on Stated vs. Agreed Value - both in general by googling for articles from respected sources, Consumer Reports, etc. - on your insurer's specific policy terms - as both types can have clauses not beneficial to you!

Since vintage trailers, homes, personal articles (jewelry, silver, art, etc.) on your policies can go up in value, you should have their values reviewed & re-appraised every few years, & then adjust your coverages & Agreed Value accordingly.

Just Sayin'!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I echo that USAA is not the place to go and I have been a member for 46 years. Once upon a time I had all of my insurance with USAA but they decided risk was too great in Eastern NC and stopped insuring homes here. Then they got back into the business but their rates are 3X what I pay with Nationwide. When I got the AS I determined that USAA throws that off to Progressive so, again, I went with Nationwide. I still have car with USAA but they have been increasing rates every year, I have no claims, no tickets, no accidents, and a credit score over 820. My theory is that when USAA decided to expand their member base, their risk profile looks like every other insurance company so they can no longer have significantly lower rates. In any event, for auto, if it were not for my annual subscriber bonus and senior bonus, my auto would be cheaper at a number of other companies. So, I am still insuring cars with USAA.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
The reason your frig has not gone up is because frigs. can be sold openly between States, thus competition. Unlike auto, RV and yes, health ins. , which is State Reg. by design, so as to minimize consumer buying leverage and competition , they can stick it to you. Yes, and we keep voting the folks in that keep this scam funding their elections.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Agreed Value

For vintage owners...I have an article on 'Agreed Value' by Hunt Jones posted here...

http://dwmorrison.com/BreakingNews.html

--Dave
Old 03-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Sparks , Nevada
insurance increase

If you have placed a lock on your credit your insurance company will assume that you have a credit score of zero. Happened to me.

Vic _ W7RKU
Vich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
In any event, for auto, if it were not for my annual subscriber bonus and senior bonus, my auto would be cheaper at a number of other companies. So, I am still insuring cars with USAA.
Larry
When I stopped using USAA and got my subscriber bonus cashed in. We were able to pay a semester's worth of my daughters college expenses with it. So it worked out.

Kelvin
Old 03-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I switched from State Farm when they went up double on premiums, with no claims in our part. Went with American Family. Very good to us for 4 years now
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #36
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I echo that USAA is not the place to go and I have been a member for 46 years. Once upon a time I had all of my insurance with USAA but they decided risk was too great in Eastern NC and stopped insuring homes here. Then they got back into the business but their rates are 3X what I pay with Nationwide. When I got the AS I determined that USAA throws that off to Progressive so, again, I went with Nationwide. I still have car with USAA but they have been increasing rates every year, I have no claims, no tickets, no accidents, and a credit score over 820. My theory is that when USAA decided to expand their member base, their risk profile looks like every other insurance company so they can no longer have significantly lower rates. In any event, for auto, if it were not for my annual subscriber bonus and senior bonus, my auto would be cheaper at a number of other companies. So, I am still insuring cars with USAA.
Larry
Well said Larry. I'm a 30 year member, so that means that I was in the original risk group that USAA was founded to serve. I signed up for USAA the day after I became "an officer and a gentleman" back in '86 (for those of you that know me, insert your joke here).

The members took a vote several years back to, essentially, allow anybody that ever wore the uniform to become regular members (and that's cool, up to a point). What does that really mean? USAA was originally founded to serve military officers. Now anybody even remotely connected to the military can become a member. Back in those days, military officers were in one risk group and their family members (only) were in another, basically a low risk group and a higher risk group. Regular members and "associate" members respectively, if you will. I think that's how the were classified back in those days.

I did NOT vote in the affirmative for this change. No offence to anybody, not at all. It's just not the point of a "Mutual" company founded to serve a particular group of people. Other "Mutual" companies operate to the exclusion of certain folks, that's kinda the point. That's cool, too. There really is no exclusive group any longer at USAA. And members have suffered for it. Customer service is definitely not it used to be. I must say, however, our rates are not too bad. We have our cars and home still insured there and it's not bad at all. Customer service is another issue. We've never had a claim with any policy in 30 years. But if you have to call in these days, the person that answers the phone is, well............

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #37
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
So to get back on track from my silly diatribe .......

The reason that we are with Progressive is because USAA pushed us in that direction. USAA doesn't do "agreed value" on Vintage Airstreams. They suggested we call Progressive. Looks like we'll be shopping around now.

If I may ask, other than the suggestions already listed (thanks Alan), what companies are y'all using and what hoops do you have to jump thru?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Shop Shop Shop!

The insurance companies know that very few of their customers will EVER shop their insurance needs. Each and every year they tell you they "give" you a little Mo Insurance on your home as the cost of construction has gone up. They did not "give" you ANYTHING. You paid for it!

Unfortunately most folks know very little about what they are buying when buying insurance. You tend to buy insurance from a friend, relative or off the internet. None of which has your best interest in mind. Buying insurance on the internet really amazes me as so few people actually know what their insurance needs truly are. I'm reminded of the Farmer's Insurance commercials where they continually talk about being properly insured. Personally I'm impressed as that's what truly is important. All Progressive, State Farm and other's talk about price and how much Mo Money they will save you. Sounds like most of you certainly got all those savings they talk about!

Want to save money?

Shop your insurance coverage every year.

Sure it's work, it takes effort and you going to have to learn a little about the insurance coverage your insurance needs and wants to be an effective shopper. Now I said "Shop" your insurance coverage every year. That does not mean you will change companies every year however it sure can help make you aware that "sticker shock" at insurance renewal time does NOT have to happen.

9 years ago I left State Farm after 20 years. Rates on my homeowners insurance doubled from $2K to $4K over a 5 year time period. They made me an insurance shopper!

By shopping I got BETTER coverage at a cost that was back down to $2K. By the way that State Farm agent who LOST the business called back 3 months later with a new premium quote of $2600. What happened to $4K 3 months ago at renewal time? Why was that renewal premium not $2600 at that time? SHE had no answer to those questions. She still does not have my business!

Insurance is now a COMMODITY PRODUCT therefore shop for insurance as such. Learn about insurance requirements in your state, coverage that matches your needs and shop yearly for the best product at the BEST PRICE.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
USAA went straight to hell in a hand basket when they contracted with UNUM, the baddest of the insurance bad boys.

Jay and Lisa
splyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #40
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by splyb View Post
USAA went straight to hell in a hand basket when they contracted with UNUM, the baddest of the insurance bad boys.

Jay and Lisa
UNUM? Not familiar with them?? Is that some sort of outsourcing agency? PLEASE tell me they're not offshore. I dump the whole lot if they are. And there's a LOT in my lot with USAA.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427