Old 03-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Insurances rates are driven by many factors, I've seen a few addressed in the notes above, one factor not addressed is that you're in a pool of people, and while credit score is meaningful - how that pool performs overall carries more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My homeowners insurance took a jump the year my husband died, then again last year.

Vehicle insurance has remained the same.

I made some phone calls to see if I could get better rates, and found that I could for the house but vehicle rates would jump quite a bit because of my decades with State Farm.

One representative told me I would probably not get a good answer from SF for the homeowners rate increase, and I didn't.

It seems a racket, to me, but we've got to have it.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1968 22' Safari
Shillington , Pennsylvania
If any of you guys are armed forces veterans, the child of a vet, or active duty, USAA Insurance is the company to go to. I have all my insurance, home ,auto, life with them. They are top rated with Consumer Reports and they are a coop so you get dividends at the end of each year. You can't beat them. If not a vet, join the Army just so you can get this insurance. It's worth it. GO ARMY !
jimstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
Essentially "insurance" may be the biggest scam going. I carry no insurance on anything I'm not required to carry; car liability (state req), house fire (bank req). I like to calculate how much I save by not sending money for life insurance, product insurance, pet health insurance, and on and on. I simply invest that money in real estate or other commodity that I know will increase in value. Result: I have earned over $1.5 million from that program alone and I am 77! Have a backup plan and say goodbye to all insurance brokers.
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Allstate, several years ago divided the company or plans and offered/invited us to participate in the newer plan. We were hesitant to switch because we had used the same agent and then his son for several generations of my DH family.

They explained that this plan was being offered to their better driver, better credit score, more established customers. They said pooling their customers into like groups could keep our rates lower.

We did the switch, not sure of any actual long term savings. Interestingly enough when I call for insurance advice they never seem to be willing to explain the industry.

Gotta have it. Arrrgh.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
USAA is the best if you must have insurance at all. I agree.
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
Tampa , Florida
All the insurance companies are the offs. They are making record profits & the executives are taking in multi-million dollar bonuses. Yet they say they need to raise rates because they have to pay out.
ahillring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Had USAA on our cars but have continued to raise our rates. Our house insurance was with another company which was subsequently bought out and decided to change the way they figure insurance rates - the rate doubled. USAA was also way too high.
I shopped around and went with Farm Bureau who beat them all by a fair amount.
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Originally Posted by jimstream View Post
If any of you guys are armed forces veterans, the child of a vet, or active duty, USAA Insurance is the company to go to. I have all my insurance, home ,auto, life with them. They are top rated with Consumer Reports and they are a coop so you get dividends at the end of each year. You can't beat them. If not a vet, join the Army just so you can get this insurance. It's worth it. GO ARMY !
I tried to look into USAA and could not get to first base. Did not return phone calls and when I did get someone on the line was transferred to someone else and disconnected. We have been with State Farm for a number of years and like the fact that I can drive to a local agent's office and get immediate service. Also have had some large claims for hail and wind damage and several small collision claims and have always been paid promptly. Our premiums have gone up this year more than previously so they have apparently had heavy claims in our state. I will try USAA again just to compare.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I was a 31 year customer with USAA home and auto until about 5 years ago. Their rates in the last 10 years have gotten too high compared to the competition . It was when they decided to charge 2% for roof damage deductible that I decided to check around. I think they are back to 1% now. I keep checking on their rates every year when it's time to renew home and auto but they are still high. This is living in Texas and Missouri. I've pretty much given up on them. They don't seem to offer the same quality of service today like they did years ago.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
2015 27' Flying Cloud
2003 25' Safari
Parker , Colorado
Progressive Paid big on this hit:
Have a 2015 FC 27FB insured by Progressive/Total Lose coverage for $817. We were up at Mueller State Park west of Pikes Peak at the tail end of the season and got HAMMERED by hail, almost all damage on the top and end caps. Got the truck as well (insured by State Farm). Progressive & Timeless Travel Trailers (I wouldn't let the local AS dealer touch it) estimated the repair loss at $43,800, so Prog. called it totaled. Progressive's estimator found microscopic nicks on lower panels that I really couldn't see. Gave us the option of replacing the trailer, or keeping it, allowing us to either repair or do nothing. I reviewed the trailer with the Timeless estimator, and after deducting the panels I couldn't see damage on, the estimate to repair came to $25,130. This left us with almost $18,700 net pay out. That will cover lots of future "insurance payments". Needless to say, because it was totaled out they couldn't re-insure it, so we're looking.
Dingram/Colo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2002 25' Safari
Long Beach , California
Go see an independent insurance agent. He can shop lots of markets. Be sure to combine cars with homeowners. Airstream can be covered for stated amount under comprehensive coverage on auto portion. Out our way Safeco Ins. Co. does a good job.
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
Tom T
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
They have to pay for all of their advertising somehow.
Yes - Flo is apparently very highly paid!

When we got our 1960 Avion T20 in 2012 - Progressive had stopped writing any Agreed Value policies on trailers at all - or at least in CA - (they were recco'd by a local AS/etc. vintage trailer restorer who also did our PPI).

So that may be why they're jacking up rates on folks still with them on Agreed Value, so they can get rid of their existing policies & get out of that "guaranteed payment" business.

IMHO you're being driven away, or made to pay thru the nose if you stay.

We had AAA for many years on the cars, & surprisingly they also did an Agreed Value policy with us on the Avion, based on the restorer's PPI & opinion of value (he's not an appraiser). That was shortly after AAA added an RV/Trailer & Motorcycle Rider available for their auto insurance policies, & for Roadside Assistance.

Our AAA rates on the cars & Avion have been pretty flat over the 3-4 years since then with only minor changes of a couple of percent - & the cars had gone down a lot in 2011 once both kids were gone!

Also be aware that with AAA your year #2> should be at a lower net cost than the first year (barring an at fault accident or something) - since after you're first year with them you will get a varying amount of policy reduction from their policy holder dividends, since it's a policy holder owned company (in name anyway, the staff & board still does what they want!).

However, note that we're in CA where the state's Insurance Commissioner keeps all insurers rates within less drastic change limits, & precludes some of the "games" they play, such as rating insurance on BS credit & FICO scores!

Maybe check with AAA in your state(s) for Agreed Value.

Good Luck!
Tom T (janabanana48's other half )
Orange CA
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
What can you expect from a company owned by George Soros?

Old age is coming at a really bad time!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote