Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #15
Leesburg , Florida
Agreed Value

Agreed Value Insurance is not an ACV Policy. The unit is insured for a specific dollar amount. In the event of a total loss the check to the insured will be the Agreed Amount with no downward adjustment for depreciation. This term is quite familiar to those who own Collector Cars. This works well for the Insurance company where an asset is going up in value. Agreed Value policies are not generally issued where the strong possibility exists the asset is going down in value. The company will probably be sending you a questionnaire every few years that may require photos.

Gman911e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
We've had our Airstream since purchasing it used in 2007 (if my memory is correct). We have been with the same insurance company for 27 years and I was pleased to learn they were able to write RV insurance on our 28' CCD.

Last month I rubbed the driver's side just enough to that both the upper and lower panels needed to be replaced. Airstream estimates $12,000 damage. Our insureance company is telling us that our NADA value is $12,000 so they "may have to" total our trailer. Of course the market value of our trailer exceeds $25,000. Our adjuster is an auto guy and claims the company does not have separate RV adjusters. No decisions are final at this point but I wish I now wish I would have read our AS Forums more often to learn about insurance intricacies. Even though our insurance company advertises RV insurance I think it is just another way to collect additional premiums. I certainly don't feel like my loyalty has earned much.

John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Bingo John!

I do not believe it is just reputation of company- we had our auto and home insurance with State Farm for thirty some years then they pulled out of providing policies for homes in FL and our auto insurance went way up in price. We had a few claims through the years and had issues each time - thank goodness for our agent who always worked it out. He retired. Now we are with another company.

It is all about the policy type you have and what is in writing. You have to check this EVEN after going through it with an agent. We assume that people represent things as they are and that is the first mistake as we need to read the agreement for ourselves.

As for replacement policies- yes that is good if you can get it and it is not too costly. Most companies will not offer it unless your Airstream is five years or less in age - I was told. That is why I shared that the agreed policy is really the way to go for those with older than five year units.

That foremost policy may be a good thing. Sounds like some form of umbrella policy. Here in FL when we checked on an umbrella policy it was through the roof in cost.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
USAA tells me they use the sticker value when it was new. What are they really telling me? That is the only answer they give.
From my Pecan Tree
PecanMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #19

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post
USAA tells me they use the sticker value when it was new. What are they really telling me? That is the only answer they give.
My guess is the next part they're not saying is "and apply the NADA depreciation table to determine today's value." That would be standard industry practice for automobiles at least, but as you see higher in the thread Airstream prices don't follow the standard depreciation and haven't since I started following these forums a LONG time ago, but the NADA values never seem to get fixed.
— David

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
USAA won't insure RV's; they pass that off to Progressive so I would not listen to anything a USAA rep says.
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
My auto and RV insurance is with GEICO. I found out the hard way that they use NADA depreciation schedule. I had to file a claim for damage to the tune of $12,000. I have $1,000 deductible. GEICO told me they valued my 2005 International CCD at $12,000 so they were about to total it. North Trail Collision Center worked with the insurance company and were able to get the value up to $15,000. So, for now I'm out of the woods but learned a big lesson. Once everything is repaired I may begin to look for replacement value insurance. However, I will have the issue of just having made a claim.
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
I think one of the best things about this thread is the actual title.

It's a very interesting and strong industry that most of us don't quite understand.

Interestingly enough much of its mandatory to have and increasingly difficult to use.

I would shudder to add up the amount of money spent in each of our lives versus the claims.

Car Insurance Mandatory
Home Insurance Mandatory if mortgage
Health Insurance Mandatory
Life Insurance (Seems Necessary)
Disability Insurance (work)
Phone Insurance (really)
Plumbing ( house to street)

And the beat goes on.....(stepping off the box)

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So circling back on this.

I was quoted $800 for the Foremost policy. Started asking questions. Found out there is no Replacement Coverage, its ACV. So I asked what the "ACV" is, they said between $70-$80k. I think they said that because they had the paper that showed what I paid for it which was $78k with all options. But the MSRP was $96k.

So here is the issue. I get into an accident at no fault to me. I have to get a new trailer, now they are $110k MSRP and I can't negotiate a good deal so I pay $90k.

The insurance company low balls it and gives me $50k. So I get screw $40k from an accident at no fault to me?

I put the brakes on the Foremost policy, they also have terrible reviews online. Sounded good but the flaws came out.

Anyone had advise for insurance in MA?

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote