Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Bring the Airstream to Dallas and stop by North Dallas RV. A recommended repair facility by Airstream. Bring your Margarita machine too....I am a recommended quality testing facility . Never show up at a rally without testing the margarita equipment.

"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Frank - I took some photos with my phone. Let me work on downloading them and I'll post them here shortly. Let me know your thoughts on the damage.

MelodyRanch - It was nice to have met you at the Vintage Rally a few months ago. We will be staying at Cedar Hill State Park Tues. night. You are welcome to do an early taste test with us at our campsite.

Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I think that margarita machine we purchased for our upcoming vacation and upcoming FOD Rally is going to get its moneys worth to help me chill out and overlook the unsightly damage.
I am so sorry to hear about your damage and the jerk who did it, but I think you have a REALLY good idea there!

"Surrender is not in our creed. Let me hear you say that..." Gunny Hiway
Max Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Ok, I think I have the photos attached as follows:

1. Photo of scratch and dent (finger pointing to lower dent and stress point, and about 1 ft. above that area is the upper dent and stress point).

2. Photo of the trim piece above the wheel well reflecting where his tail pipe caught the wheel well). In this photo you also see some black stuff that sputtered on our Airstream. I guess that's something related to the exhaust and diesel?

3. Photo of the Airstream where it is no longer backed in straight and the front was shifted 2 feet in the direction of the his motorhome (our friends are in the photo to give you a little perspective of how much it was moved by the impact). He hit our Airstream about 2/3 of the way to the back of our unit (right above the wheel well) so it shifted the front of our unit and the back of our unit remained in it's original position.

4. Photo of the streetside depicting where the Airstream shifted and moved off of the leveling blocks (we park on the leveling blocks to keep the tires off of the gravel).

I have photos of his motorhome which show the damage to his unit, but I probably shouldn't be posting photos of his property ... so no photos of his unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch and Dent 1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	135802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peeled Trim Piece 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	135803  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Shifted 2 Ft. 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	135804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moved off the Blocks 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	135805  

Old 07-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #19

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Wow! It is disappointing to hear such an idiot is on the roads with a big machine like that. I hope never to be in his way when he decides to cut across lanes.....

I had our moho in the shop and we got a dent and no one fessed up there either. Of course, we've had mechanics at Middleton & Meads track greasy footprints though out the interior and they thought we should shut up and deal with that!
Michael, Gary and Lyla (and Max, Nugget, and Bungee the Lion Rabbit)
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
Hey fellas,

I'm so sorry to hear about the damage to your AS. I've seen the interior pictures of it that you sent and I can tell you definitely take pride in it.

Don't let it spoil your fun over the next two weeks!
Ho'onanea -- to pass the time with peace, ease, and pleasure.
Hoonanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
It's just that as we travel down the road on our vacation, we're probably going to look like we're the kind of people that don't take care of their belongings.
Don't feel that way! Our Airstream has several dents on the back corners, and we bought it that way (as did the previous owner). It just means it has experience!

No, but, seriously - we all know things happen, and they aren't always your fault.

What an idiot with the motorhome, though. He thinks it's okay to damage someone else's property? Wow. File an insurance claim against his policy!
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
What an awful thing to have happen! I am so sorry. I am glad that you checked on your trailer when you did, and could catch the jerk. Bravo to the Sheriff's office for tracking the guy down & making him take responsibility. Once he has his insurance rates go up due to the cost of your repairs, maybe he'll think twice before parking so carelessly. It makes you wonder how many other people he has hit!

Good luck with the repairs. I think a margarita or two is an excellent idea, especially if you can share it with some other Airstreamers. Have fun at the rally!

Sean & Sharon
AIR #: 27389
TAC #: OR-3
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Flora Vista , New Mexico
What a "large mound of fecal matter" (aka pile of ****) that guy is. I think we have all seen his like. I had one guy back into my old truck at a college parking lot, leave the impression of his hitch reciever on my tailgate (jacked up truck), and take off. I prowled that place for two weeks looking for green pain on receivers. You kind of wonder if the guy was drunk after a long weekend...

Anyway even with a few dents, an aluminum palace will still turn more heads and provoke more positive comments than another run of the mill lookalike class A. And you have a good story to go along with it, complete with the majesty of the law making the guy crawl for you! lol

Though if you were really evil, and had one of those sewer solutions things, maybe you could find an open window...... just kidding!
EricktheSOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Well things progressed in a positive way today. His insurance company has been very good to deal with.

And in all fairness to the other party, he has called me 3 times today trying to speak to me. I ended up returning his call this evening (reluctantly) but he was very, very kind and very, very apologetic. I'm thinking maybe he just got scared when it happened. I honetly could not have asked for a more pleasant discussion and I think he is now sincerely concerned about the situation. I appreciate that he is taking a different attitude and I'm glad to put the experience Friday evening behind me.

I'm glad things are turning in a positive direction. Tomorrow the insurance company representative is supposed to view the Airstream before we depart on vacation. It's going to be interesting to see what they say the damage estimate is.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #25

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Just keep in mind that they can recommend any repair facility they want, but the choice is yours, so if you want JC or an Airstream dealer to do the work you can have it done there.
— David

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Frank & Mike - Just saw thiis post and your photos. I'm so very sorry to learn of all this, but also glad to know the moho's owner has changed his tune. I hope your beauty is all fixed up for our September rally, and have a great vacation!
I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to see the perp has had some time to think about his responsibilities and hope his insurer will come through for you.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
WSmith - that's a great suggestion as we will be traveling through Dallas on Wed. It will also give me some peace of mind. Is this the place you're recommending:

North Dallas RV
2630 I-35 E. North
TX, 75006
Yes. sorry for the delay,

Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote