Old 07-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Delano , Minnesota
Help with agreed value insurance

I now have too much money and sweat eqity in our old Airstream. Major repairs to an old Airstream are cost prohibed, for example a tree falls on it, fire or hail. I would like to insure it at an agreed value. We have been with State Farm for years, but they don't offer such a policy. I read in this forum that Progressive offers a policy.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to insure our 86 for what we have in it?

David

Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Palestine , Texas
Check out F & C Insurance. You can find a link to their website on Blue Beret Online Magazine-Home. They have the program you are asking about. You will need a someone to provide you with an appraisal on your trailers value, etc. they will direct you. Good luck
Rockwell

Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
We are using Progressive and very happy with their service--they also have a value insured program. We did need to provided documentation (we did not do the work ourselves) as to parts, labor, etc.
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Delano , Minnesota
Thank you for the advice. I'll give this F&C a shot at it. I'm from Iowa, so maybe it will feel like talking with neighbors. We may not like the priemums!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Delano , Minnesota
Okay, I contacted Farm and City Insurance Services (FCIS) in Forest City, Iowa. (Home of Winnebago motorhomes!). They have done an excellent job for me. They recommended an appraisal service, who came to my home and appraised our 86 Classic Limited. The appraisor sent the report to FCIS and I now have compreshesive insurance at this appraised value.

The appraised value came in higher than I thought. Maybe our Airstream is appreciating as we work and spend to refurbish the old girl.

I will sleep better tonight knowing I am insured against the next big thunderstorm.

They are at www.FCISinsurance.com

Thank you all for the great advice on agreed value insurance on an old Airstream.

David
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
If I may be so bold...mind telling what the appraised value was and what it cost you to have it insured?
Thanks and congrats!!

Barry
Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tex4Fun View Post
We are using Progressive and very happy with their service--they also have a value insured program. We did need to provided documentation (we did not do the work ourselves) as to parts, labor, etc.
If you're insured with Progressive, by all means join Good Sam Club if you haven't already! Even if you never use any other club benefits, the insurance discount pays for the membership and then some.

When I was still shopping around, before I bought my Interstate, I checked with several insurance companies to see what insurance would cost on an Agreed Value policy. I happened to get two quotes from Progressive, one with a Good Sam discount and one without. For my Interstate, the difference was over $400 per year, just for having the membership! Not bad for a membership that only costs around $25 per year.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Delano , Minnesota
My yearly premium is about 1.2% of the appraised value. Each situation will be different. Good Sam's membership did help reduce the premium. My speeding ticket helped raise the premium.

FCIS was good to sign up with. I hope I don't have any claims, and I hope their claim processing is better that most insurance companies. My long time insurance company State Farm does not have an agreed value insurance program. This forum indicates people are happy with Progressive.

David
Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Checked with Progressive yesterday pm and was quoted $213.00 on $12,000. The only catch is finding a suitable, knowledgeable appraiser, as they need an appraisal to verify that it is worth the agreed upon value. In the mean time she is checking to see if there is a way to get immediate coverage of some type,if not the full amount for in between now and finding an appraiser, as we are leaving in a few days.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #10

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
There was a certified appraiser at the last rally I attended, the restoration rally in New Mexico. His name is Jim Polk. I'm sure with a decent set of photos he can help. He does charge for the service but IMO is worth it. He owns an appraisal company called Polk Associates LLC. He definitely is well respected and credentialed. I'll PM you his contact info as I'm not sure I'm allowed to share it here.
reinergirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I'm confused - I'm already with Progressive - my normal insurance is with USAA, and USAA referred me to Progressive for RV insurance.

I am paying about $250 per year for the $20,000 agreed value of my AS with $250 deductible. Note to prior poster - Progressive did not ask me to get a third party to verify the valuation of my trailer - I just told them what I thought it was worth after all the work I've put into it based on comparable trailers for sale on the Internet.

I just called Progressive to see if I could get a discount if I joined good sams - they said they had never heard of a discount program with good sams. Then I called good sams and they transferred me to GMAC insurance.

So can someone confirm how to get a discount at Progressive by joining good sams? Any special code to use, number to call, secret incantation or handshake to give etc?