Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Hail damage

Our trailer went through a major hail storm at the hoouse at the end of April. Initial estimate was $18k. When we took it to our insurance carrier's recommend repair lcoation, they said it was beyond their capability.

Insuranc adjuster spent considerable time on the phone with Airstream. Needed to replace roof, both upper side panels, and all 5 upper panels on each end. Lots of other details like skylights, vents,... The repair estimate is now about $36k. Insurance appraisal was $43k, so the company totaled it. :-(

Repairs for these trailers are REALLY expensive.

Except for exterior hail damage, trailer is in great shape.

Watch for auction of damaged trailer around the San Antonio if you want to do the work yourself.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Our trailer went through a major hail storm at the hoouse at the end of April. Initial estimate was $18k. When we took it to our insurance carrier's recommend repair lcoation, they said it was beyond their capability.

Insuranc adjuster spent considerable time on the phone with Airstream. Needed to replace roof, both upper side panels, and all 5 upper panels on each end. Lots of other details like skylights, vents,... The repair estimate is now about $36k. Insurance appraisal was $43k, so the company totaled it. :-(

Repairs for these trailers are REALLY expensive.

Except for exterior hail damage, trailer is in great shape.

Watch for auction of damaged trailer around the San Antonio if you want to do the work yourself.

73/gus
Dependent upon the locale you live in, the replacement value policies offered by Progressive and Foremost make a potential like this a little easier to fathom.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We're considering if we want to return to being RV owners. With the price in fuel, we're just not sure now.

As to the replacement insuraance, we considered building a cover and the replacement insurance. Not sure if we would do that next time either. the cover was pretty expensive with a concrete pad, power, etc.

Airstream's just don't repair easily. the idea of return it to the facotry was nuts, and our insurance carrier does not pay for delivery to the repair location. Imagine being out a couple more $1000 in travel costs.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hmmm

You could buy the coach back from the insurance company, and use part of the insurance $$$ to make repairs to make the coach roadworthy, and (probably) most of the rest to build a cover for it, so it doesn't happen again. There are many Airstreams rolling down the orad with hail damage, the "Bismark incident" comes to mind. The hail dents may well fade over time, with the metal expanding and shrinking from heating and cooling.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Thanks for the idea, but having to return it to Ohio is nuts. That adds many thousand to the repair costs, both in tarvel and lost income.

Plus I wonder if our insurance carrier would cover it if we purchase it from salvage.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 07-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Thanks for the idea, but having to return it to Ohio is nuts. That adds many thousand to the repair costs, both in tarvel and lost income.

Plus I wonder if our insurance carrier would cover it if we purchase it from salvage.

73/gus
It could happen.

Katrina totaled my sailboat, and the insurance company paid me. They called to tell me that they were going to total the boat and give it back to me. If I did not take the boat they would deduct $12000.00 from the settlement for cost of salvage. I took their offer and it cost me $3000.00 to have a 150-ton crane put it back in the water. I will have to expend apx. $5000.00 on repairs doing the work myself. When I spoke with them about keeping the boat the one stipulation that I asked for was that they carry liability insurance on the boat, which they agreed to. When I received my first insurance bill it was for full coverage including property value. I did not call I paid the bill. This is the deal, once I have the boat repaired I will have a survey performed to establish the value of the boat and if I have a loss the insurance will pay for a boat they totaled. The title on my boat was never modified in anyway, such as a salvage title. I think with the Airstream you would be issued a salvage title if it is bought at auction.

BTW the totaled sailboat is why I have a new trailer.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Have you considered taking the money, buying back the salvaged trailer, and having the dents filled and the whole trailer painted in aluminum paint? Bob Thompson's excellent thread on this process is at
http://www.airforums.com/forum...5-a-10522.html?
I believe you'd find it difficult to tell the paint from the clear-coated aluminium, and you could make a big profit.
Inland RV will carry out the painting, I believe. I consider this a better option anyway for many trailers, especially those exposed to a lot of southern sun. Just a thought.
Nick.