Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Airstream of Spokane does very good work. It might be worth the trip up to talk to them.

Airstream of Spokane: Travel Trailers, sales and service

Boise used to have a rather large dealership. My 2006 was purchased new there before I got it used a few years ago.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
Funny. I spend at least half of my life in an aluminum tube (777), maybe that's what attracted me to Airstream -- feels like home.
Welcome! Airstreams and aviation are a natural meld.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ams-92931.html

Sorry, can't offer any advice as to the repair, but whatever route you choose, get it done and forget about it. Sounds like you are enjoying your trailer - that's great.

My flying friend likes his airline job, but I tell him the best things are still back on the ground - especially if it has anything to do with Airstream trailers. I don't know if he always agees with that. lol!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195Pilot View Post
Your repair is much easier than when the tug backs the triple7 into the baggage cart and there is not as much paperwork for you or the repair station.
Good Luck,
Jack A&P IA
Jack, that's funny. But in that case I don't have to pay for it
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Another twinkle of the eye moment, as in now all that is left is the shouting

The 'hardest' part is the exterior panel and bucked rivets - labor charges to remove furniture, trim and interior panels for access bumps up the cost modestly; maybe you can spend the $30 for a drill bit, pop-rivets and a rivet gun and do the prep work for them and save some change PLUS have the satisfaction of doing some of the work yourself?

Just letting you know we're pulling for you to shrug this off, and umnn, speaking of pulling... I had my cold tow-vehicle motors' normal high-idle speed pull the trailer into a clothes line pole for my first dent. I'd put it into low 4WD gear range to reduce turf damage repositioning the trailer and that high idle surge pulled through the normal brake pedal pressure I was applying. Could have been worse, no glass, window or door damage - be glad it had a soft landing on the front instead of skipping all the way down the side
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Yes - if you want it to be like new, they would have to remove the interior panels and buck rivet the panel - a major job, but it can be done - olympic rivets are not as strong as buck, they they will do the job and as mentioned above, anyone looking closely will know its been repaired - I would try the plunger myself before I went the olympic rivets myself - figure it does not hurt to try to pull it out - likely won't work, but then again it just may......
Ken J.
Olympics are pretty strong and I have first hand experience to their strength. When putting my shell back on I had "4" olympic rivets on the very front when some how the trailer slipped off the front jack stand. Those 4 rivets held up the whole front of the frame pulling down on them, as the shell was hanging from the gantry's. That's pretty much 200-300# of weight pull straight down on them. So I put a lot of faith in those things now.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #26
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
new dealer in boise

airstream adventures northwest has opened a boise branch-they have shops in ptld, or, sttl, wa; they seem to know what they are doing; Jim at the ptld branch has had many years of repairing a/s and just spent some time in boise training the technicians there. good luck.
see:http://airstreamnw.com/
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Janet. I will give them a call in the morning. I have a great insurance company, so I'm not worried about them covering it, I'm just afraid how high my premiums will increase since it was my fault. I keep praying for a "monster" hail storm, but it hasn't rained in Arkansas (here temporarily) for over a month, so that's highly unlikely.
Sorry about the damage, great looking trailer.

Don't know where in Arkansas you are, but Crain RV in southwest Little Rock is now an Airstream dealer. I don't know what their service is like, but they seem like a nice bunch of people. They acquired the Airstream dealership after Airstream of Arkansas in Searcy folded. If you want to have a dealer look at it, they are close.

And hey! Keep that monster hail storm to yourself! That can at least wait till you get home.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
I Know Your upset about the wrinkle in your new airstream, BUT You've been around long enough to know that all accidents/incidents are PILOT ERROR !!!
Good Luck
Jack A&P IA
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Hey, thanks to all of you for your recommendations and comforting words. I think I'm over the initial shock and it could've been much worse. Knowing that it can be fixed is a huge relief. I'm glad it wasn't a fiberglass trailer or I would probably have a big hole in the front.

I'm in Marion, AR right now and purchased the trailer in Wentzville, MO so I will give them a call first. I know when I purchased the trailer the service techs told me that repair dented Airstreams all of the time, so I know they have experience, or I may what until I get back home to Idaho. $8000 repair? Ouch. That's almost ¼ of the cost of the trailer. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Jack, that's funny. But in that case I don't have to pay for it
Oh brother, another cheap pilot.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #31
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Oh brother, another cheap pilot.
Boy, isn't that the truth. But I don't think buying an Airstream puts me in that category
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Can't argue with that!

My flying friend went white as a sheet when I told him what the FaN cost and stuttered "What's wrong with a tent?"

He then volunteered for the OT roster.....and I'm the one who paid for it.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I'm in Marion, AR right now and purchased the trailer in Wentzville, MO so I will give them a call first. I know when I purchased the trailer the service techs told me that repair dented Airstreams all of the time, so I know they have experience, or I may what until I get back home to Idaho. $8000 repair? Ouch. That's almost ¼ of the cost of the trailer. Thanks again.
They've been around a while. My 1983 Excella has a sticker by the door that says it came from Bill Thomas.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
It can definitely be repaired, my family made a trip up to the factory for Alumapalooza in June. It was a fantastic rally and a real eye opener for what the factory techs can do in repairing a battered Airstream.

While it is hard to resist, I know the pain from the dent is too fresh for any smart a** comments.....

Blue Skies
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #35
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
FINALLY -- Repaired

Well, I made the trip to Jackson Center to have my Flying Cloud repaired. Very impressed with the guys @ the Airstream Service Center, they did a great job on the repair, and the cost was reasonable -- $2500 (IMO). I was amazed at how they actually repaired a dented section. They cutout the dent .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	166421

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	166422

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	166423

and then overlay another aluminum panel -- better than new -- stronger?

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	166424

I hope so.

DONE!

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	166425

The entire process took two days. I arrived the day prior to my appointment and stayed at the "Terraport" (campground of sorts) which is free of charge if you're having work done on your Airstream. If you're hanging around JC while the repairs are being made, they will bring your trailer out each evening so that you will have a place to stay, and then pick it up promptly @ 7:00 a.m. the next day.

In a way it was a good thing that this happened, because if it hadn't, I probably would have never gone to Jackson Center and had the opportunity to see Airstreams being made. It's good to see Americans actually making stuff -- quality stuff. If you ever have a chance to take the factory tour -- I recommend it highly.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looks like they did an excellant job of the repair. Having insurance to take care of the bill must take the sting out of it, at least a little bit.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Excellent pictures of the before, during the repair process, and after! Thank you for taking the effort to share. But for the grace of God, there go I ...

Of course, you had to get a Flying cloud !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Thank you for sharing your story. We just pulled a doozy on ours...and have to say seeing how they can repair them and the support of others who have gone (and dented) before us has helped!!
day tripper is offline   Reply With Quote