Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Knoxville , Tennessee
Good Sam Insurance

We just bought our dream AS 25FB Eddie Bauer. We had our last RV (TrailManor) insured with Progressive (USAA insures travel trailers with Progressive) They raised our rates every year stating it was the cost of doing business in TN. We never had a claim. So we switched to Good Sam ins.
Since the AS value is far more then our TM was.. Does anyone have recommendations for insurance for AS? We both have good driving records with no claims on auto or RV.
I will continue to sift through the forum as I see alot of good info available. I appreciate any input.
Jfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have full coverage with replacement value using Allstate, $164/ year. They haven't raised the premium in five years.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
I have a 2012 FB 25' Flying Cloud. Good Sam is after me to buy insurance. I have none in case the fridge, etc. goes out. Have the usual collision etc. through USAA. Does anyone have advice? Is there alot to go wrong?
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
We have full coverage with replacement value using Allstate, $164/ year. They haven't raised the premium in five years.
Check and see if that full coverage includes contents. As a fulltimer I need contents covered - clothing, Laptop, two sewing machines, jewelry are all stowed in the Airstream. I don't have a huge amount of stuff but it DOES add up. Allstate doesn't offer contents insurance in Virginia. May be different in your state, but figure what it would cost if you had two bicycles wrecked. Could be upwards of $2K if you have expensive racers.

Also, with my Good Sam - ultimately written through nationwide, I got travel expenses back home after I did the "roller girl" number. And they didn't raise my premium except for the value of the new trailer.

Paula
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have AARP (Hartford) switched from Good Sam (GMAC), Half the price, same coverage.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I insured my Airstream Interstate through Good Sam. I got an agreed value policy, which includes up to $3000 for contents— anything bolted in is part of the unit, not contents.

But it's not Good Sam actually doing the insuring, it's GMAC; they have an agreement with Good Sam to provide their coverage in Louisiana. The terms of my agreed value policy are, in the event of a total loss in the first five years, they'll replace my Airstream. After five years, if it's totalled, they'll reimburse me my total purchase price. Anything less than a total loss is prorated.

Interstingly enough, my Airstream was burglarized the day after I brought it home. Such is life in the big city. But the pertinent fact is, GMAC's payout to date is still more than the total premiums I've paid in the past two years, and they didn't boost my rate afterward. When I pay my 2014 premiums, what I've paid GMAC will finally exceed what GMAC has paid out on my Airstream.

Many insurance companies offer a Good Sam discount. But don't forget, that's not the only discount you might be eligible for. If you belong to AARP, see if an AARP discount applies. Ditto for AAA. If you've taken a trailer towing course, there may be a discount for that, too. Or defensive driving. Or a multi-vehicle discount if you add your tow vehicle and other cars on the same policy (I added my toad to my GMAC policy, and it only added a couple hundred a year to the cost of insurance, much less than insuring it separately).
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Any agreed values on older models (I.e., 1970s)?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Any agreed values on older models (I.e., 1970s)?
We have an agreed value policy on our 1992 Sovereign 21 through Good Sam (because of the extensive and expensive renovations we've made to the trailer) and I got extra coverage for contents on our new larger Serenity 28 (more room equals more stuff). It wasn't an issue at all -- our premiums are less on the two trailers and our tow vehicle (it's with Good Sam too) than they were with State Farm and we found out that the value our 1992 was insured for with State Farm was too low and they wouldn't increase it...so we switched.

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I know this thread is old, but...

I just got a quote from Good Sam for our Interstate. The policy would actually be through a company called National General Insurance. I've never heard of them, and so I'm hesitant to pursue this, even though it looks like it'd save us about $400/year.

Anyone heard of this company, and have any feedback about them?

thx
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have that insurance. Had small claim, no problems..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Follow-up: Just got reply form Good Sam. They said, "Common issue- we are/were GMAC- no one recognizes our NGIC name. We started as NGIC in 1939 and were bought out buy GM and then were known as GMAC finance and insurance. We are no longer owned by GM so switched our name back to NGIC."
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
National General is a reputable company, At one time headquartered in LA, bought by GM then spun off in GM's/GMAC reorg's. Now independent and headquartered in NY.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I had Good Sam which is an OXYMORON name. Had an exclusion in their policy which did not cover $8K of damage last year when the storage lot moved the trailer. No other policy I have seen since then has this exclusion and I reviewed a lot of policy language to make sure that I didn't fall into the same issue. When I got the new Classic I shopped around. Try the folks up at Americas Mailbox. They have an in house insurance guy who pulled quotes from about 6 different companies. Pick one that you are comfortable with at a price you like.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Following.
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
I had Good Sam which is an OXYMORON name. Had an exclusion in their policy which did not cover $8K of damage last year when the storage lot moved the trailer. No other policy I have seen since then has this exclusion and I reviewed a lot of policy language to make sure that I didn't fall into the same issue. When I got the new Classic I shopped around. Try the folks up at Americas Mailbox. They have an in house insurance guy who pulled quotes from about 6 different companies. Pick one that you are comfortable with at a price you like.
Thanks for the warning. Ours is kept in storage too, so def something I need to look into.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
We had Good Sam for awhile but they required us to insure our tow vehicle with them as well as the trailer and then we had to tell them ahead of time every time we took it out of storage which was a royal pain plus I was always afraid the one time we forgot to notify them would be when we needed the coverage and they'd refuse to pay. One way they offer better pricing is that the rates are different when it's stored and when it's driven so you pay a "blended rate". We ended up going back to State Farm (with the newer Airstream there was no problem getting full coverage even for our modifications) ...got a better rate overall and no more notification and worry about "are we covered".

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Depreciating Asset

I'm sure that 85% of the people reading this post know these three facts, so this might be a post to hand to anyone under age 25 (or the thirty year old "child" who still lives at home.)
  1. insurance is really designed for major disasters, not minor boo-boos. Filing any claim starts the process of raising your rates, so if you have $500 deductible and have a repair estimate of $625... pay it out of pocket. The insurance companies - with much justification - believe that the cost of documenting and investigating is often as much as the cost of paying the claim.
  2. "accident forgiveness" is the biggest pile of hype that insurance companies have come up with in a decade. You pay a higher premium to get "forgiveness" so basically you pay for the accident BEFORE you have it... and you might never have one!
  3. any vehicle does depreciate. Year after year you pay the same premium - or it might actually go UP - for a car that's worth LESS money every year! If you confront your agent (or even go to a different agent with the same company) you can get a quote that is lower because the value of the 5 year old car is considerably less than the value of the car when it was new. Level with your agent, and she will re-cover you at the lower rate.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have AARP (Hartford) switched from Good Sam (GMAC), Half the price, same coverage.
Same here... They literally were half the price of our Allstate we had before. Hartford covers our house, too. Extremely satisfied with them - been using ‘em for over 15 years.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We have Safeco, they been good, have $1000 deductible ...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
There are two important points regarding insurance. One is the fact that every state has different regulations for coverage and what I pay in Colorado has no relation to what someone pays in another state for the exact same coverage. Second, double or even triple check your umbrella coverage and make sure that you are covered by your policy in the event there is an accident with an RV insured by another carrier. As an example, my Encompass umbrella policy will not cover events on my classic cars that are insured by Hagerty.