Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #161
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
KSL.com ad

If you look closely at picture #8 in the ad sequence (posted below), you can still see some water/mud stains on the curb side seat cushion. If the water reached that level in this coach, it would have submerged the non-ducted furnace and partially inundated the microwave as well as the bottom of the refrigerator.

According to all reports, these Georgia Airstreams had about 3' of water inside - in my world, that constitutes a bit more than "light water damage" as per their ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15509186.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	90450  
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #162
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This ad is different from the first one. Different trailer too. Now it says "water damage" instead of "light water damage". They've cleaned this one up and the floor is still in. I think the last one was down to plywood so they must have take carpet out. I don't know whether the color difference on the cushion is water stain or shadows, but I'd bet on the former.

Maybe they sold the other one.

Ducatiman, a clean title may be a salvage title. Though the term is usually "clear" title, it simply means there are no liens against it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #163
1 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
I only had a relatively short conversation with Darren (the salesperson) and he stated specifically that it was not a salvage title but I would have to sign something that stated I was aware of the damage. He also stated that it was in "as new" condition, that they had removed the belly pan and dried and cleaned the entire unit. I notified the AS dealership in Salt Lake to be "on alert" for possible warranty issues with these units. Sometimes bigger and deeper pockets than ours can correct the "wrongs" initiated by the Bernie Madoff types....
Ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Our previous discussion on the lack of salvage title leads to my guess what happened... An outside insurer exercises value vs repair cost judgements and when totaled it would sell at auction with a salvage title. The dealer in GA didn't carry insurance -- he so-called "self insured." Thus the title transfer doesn't go through either Georgia's or the buyer's state's insurance laws. This gives some sense why there was no salvage title.

Warranty? We don't need no steenkin' warranty... Some VINs are documented on our site and you'd better believe Jackson Center knows exactly which units these are. I can't believe warranty would ever apply to any of these units. Immerse the batteries, voltage converter, furnace, HW heater, water pump, fridge -- and we're not even talking about wood products covered with linoleum or formica laminate of some sort. It's been said that the air conditioners will be in perfect condition!

I commend those very wary of this deal. It's sad that the Nevada dealer overpaid so much. I can't believe the 2nd bid was anywhere close....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #165
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Having been there & done that . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
An outside insurer exercises value vs repair cost judgements and when totaled it would sell at auction with a salvage title. The dealer in GA didn't carry insurance -- he so-called "self insured." Thus the title transfer doesn't go through either Georgia's or the buyer's state's insurance laws. This gives some sense why there was no salvage title.
Bob, your assessment is spot on - if there is a loss incurred on an insured vehicle, the insurance company determines IF the vehicle can be repaired. If the repairs for the damage exceed the value, then the insurance company determines the fair market value (FMV) on the vehicle as well as the salvage value based on the components.
When the insurance company settles a claim, they will pay out, to the owner, the FMV less the salvage value. As soon as the owner surrenders the vehicle's title to the insurance company, the insurance company will then own the vehicle and retitle it as "salvage." The owner then receives the amount of the salvage value.
However, if an insurance company is not involved, i.e. the owner was self-insured, it would not be retitled as "salvage." Therefore, there would be no record in the state registration/title transfer of any damage.

The same scenario would apply if there was damage to a vehicle and the owner did not go through their insurance to repair, i.e. paid for the repairs out of pocket. If a Carfax check was made on the vehicle with said repairs, there would be no record of the damage.

So, the dealer in Georgia probably sold these units at the auction without going through their insurance company, i.e. they transferred title directly to the highest bidder. Just as if anyone had a flood in their house & sold off the contents at a yard sale.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes, you also don't see Carfax reports on former rental cars. Rental companies handle these internally without an outside insurance company.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #167

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Is it just me or does that Safari in the ksl ad look like it also has some significant damage on the street-side. Like a scuff on the beltline about midway back, and a dent right before the rear endcap?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #168
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
IT's hard to tell from the only picture of that side. It might just be the sun reflecting off the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #169
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't know whether the color difference on the cushion is water stain or shadows, but I'd bet on the former.

Picture #4 also has the same "shadow" on the cushions so looks like water damage.

Stefrobrts, good call - looks like that there is some damage on the street side by the rivet line - could be a dent or some corrosion??
Old 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #170
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Another wet Georgia AS surfaces (again) on eBay

Airstream International Signature Series:eBay Motors (item 230396536171 end time Nov-13-09 11:59:20 PST)

Looks like the International Signature Series 27', eBay item # 230396536171.

From their ad:
Quote:
The trailer has been inspected and cleaned by our shop. Checking that the brakes and tires are 50% or better. All appliances and the water system will work. ( either they work or don't!) The buyer is more than welcome to do a pre sale inspection. This interior has been completely detailed and ready for your vacationing pleasure.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #171
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
The dealer in GA didn't carry insurance -- he so-called "self insured."
We drove by this location today while towing home from the mountains. Very little inventory remaining on the lot. The CW website says the location hopes to reopen during Winter, but I am just curious if they could afford to re-open. This location had over 100 trailers and motorhomes onsite within the last year. You have to figure they've taken a really cold bath (no pun intended) financially.

Either way, just a real shame all around.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Wink No Mattress

Guess the slight water damage must have included the mattress! Looks like it is missing, or maybe got stained the color of plywood.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
What the heck do they mean by water loss in their description?
"This unit was 1 of 8 air stream trailers that was in a light water loss in Woodstock, GA."
You could wring out the floor and send the water back to Georgia!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #174
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview View Post
.....You could wring out the floor and send the water back to Georgia!
No thanks, we don't want it. Hurricane IDA is currently dumping rain on us. Four inches since midnight and more on the way. Enough already!

jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
again, listed on ebay...

09 Air Stream International Signature Series:eBay Motors (item 230405452368 end time Dec-05-09 13:19:12 PST)

looks like they cleaned up the interior a bit more...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #176
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
That pic of those "salesmen" with the holes kicked in the sheetrock says it all.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #177
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Flood Airstreams for Sale

I have recently been looking at an Airstream in another state that was purchased by the seller in Ga. Does anyone know the date of the flood so I can check when this trailer was sold to the current owner?
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #178
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'steve, try contacting Airstream customer service to see if they have the VIN's of the flooded trailers to check on the one that is for sale.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
a/s flood

This is not a newer trailer,but I noticed several older trailers in the pics of the lot.Just trying to get a timeline on the flood to put the dates together.See if maybe there are more than just those 8 new ones are out there.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #180
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
again, listed on ebay...

09 Air Stream International Signature Series:eBay Motors (item 230405452368 end time Dec-05-09 13:19:12 PST)

looks like they cleaned up the interior a bit more...
Here is another they have listed.

Airstream International Signature Series:eBay Motors (item 230403518061 end time Nov-30-09 17:26:21 PST)

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote