Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #181
_

. , .
the ebay listings are very cheap to run, and really just advertisements.

visit the HOME website for this outfit.

they've got these trailers listed at STARTING prices of >30k$.

so what was once a slavage/parts/total makeover for CHEAP batch of wet/damaged/mold/fungus infested trailers...

they are now trying to sell at nearly new/used prices.

wow

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #182
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
For that kind of money, I'd at least bought a good digital camera and learned how to use it.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #183
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
date of flood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
I have recently been looking at an Airstream in another state that was purchased by the seller in Ga. Does anyone know the date of the flood so I can check when this trailer was sold to the current owner?
The flood was September 16, according to this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...elp-56527.html

There's also a list of the trailers, and photos, that were to be auctioned off at the beginning of this thread.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #184
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
I have recently been looking at an Airstream in another state that was purchased by the seller in Ga. Does anyone know the date of the flood so I can check when this trailer was sold to the current owner?
SEE POST #30 in this thread.

and just the purchase date is only one clue.. ie: we have friends who bought a trailer in May, but didn't actually take it home until July, it sat on the lot the whole time..

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #185
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodstock , Georgia
9/21/09 – Date of flooding

Quote:
The date of the flood was 9/21/09. Count on 4-6 feet of water inside of the trailer (based on personal experience with that flood) depending where on the lot the trailer was placed.
ridgwayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #186
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
dearborn heights , Michigan
is this one of the flooded trailers?
2009 27 Airstream International Signature Series:eBay Motors (item 230413618101 end time Dec-24-09 09:36:10 PST)

My dream has always been to own an Airstream, I'd like to bid on it- how much do you think it's worth?
AIR4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Thumbs down Pretty Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
is this one of the flooded trailers?
2009 27 Airstream International Signature Series:eBay Motors (item 230413618101 end time Dec-24-09 09:36:10 PST)

My dream has always been to own an Airstream, I'd like to bid on it- how much do you think it's worth?
Boondocked, welcome to the forums! Yes this is one of those units. Don't make your dream of owning an Airstream into a nightmare with this unit.
The health risks won't be worth it.

Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #188
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
dearborn heights , Michigan
thanks Jeff,
would the only problem be the mold/growies?
the unit would be 'open' whenever its used
AIR4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #189
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Boon', since you are in JC, why not go over to customer relations and talk to some of the people over there about the risks you would take if you bought one of these units?

They need to be gutted—all the insulation, foam, wood, would be compromised with toxic things. Metal can be cleaned to some extent, but you'd have to wear a moon suit to do it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #190
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Boondockdad, I wouldn't go near that AS on a bet. Not only did it suffer water damage, which in and of itself is bad enough, but the water that flooeded those trailers was not exactly pristine - it wasn't like a Perrier factory flooded.

At the time of the flooding we knew someone who got caught in the water and ended up in the hospital with very serious medical issues due bacteria. Personally, I wouldn't take possession of one of those trailers if they were free.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
why not find yourself a nice older Airstream, save a bunch of money and use it to update it to your own taste. That has been done a few times, and quite well...just check the photo section here.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #192
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Welcome to the forums, and possibly a new lifestyle..lol,

To answer your question Boondockdad, it's worth about 2k-3k.

You can either consider that the scrap price, or the price for an older unit that needs a COMPLETE rebuild. All the wiring and electrics were wet. All the insulation within the walls was wet. All the furniture and flooring was wet. and they were all wet with toxic waste. The biggest "danger" to any travel trailer or house for that matter, is water... these have had a bad experience with the worst thing that could happen to them. I note for all their "cleaning and detailing" there are still mud/stain lines on the curtains, and just plain old mud inside the heater or water heater compartment..

NOTE, they point out NO FACTORY WARRENTY. In my narrow view the ONLY reason to buy a vehicle new is for just that.

They (this dealer) will not, and you know AS will not, stand behind these when they start having problems, which will be as soon as you sign the papers. IMHO.

Do some internet research about cars that have been bought unsuspectingly, that were in Katrina and other events, and the long term problems people have had with them. For what the bidding is starting at for this trailer, a person can do a little searching and find a fine late 80's to early 90's model with no need to wear a haz-mat suit to use. or for a couple of k's, find a vintage model and fix it up, doing all the same work that needs to be done to this one, for way less money. (if you have the skill set and desire, mostly desire, to do it, you will learn the skills right here.)

Good luck with it, either way. and again, welcome.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #193

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You can find a nice older unit that has been well cared for for a lot less than the cost of refurbishing one of the flooded trailers. They look new, but the flooding has removed every benefit of having a new trailer.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #194
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
I wonder if there is any merit to buying and documenting the restoration

I have had quite some time to reflect on this subject. I still would have liked to have had enough $ to buy these trailers. I sincerely wish all eight of them were on my property. I very much would like to have a "newer style" airstream. I like the lines and size/shape of the new airstreams. I also like the idea of the challenge of rebuilding an airstream. I thought (and still think) these trailers represent the ultimate combination of these two streams of thought-a newly reconditioned NEW airstream. Wow. Custom built with labor of love into a 2008, 9, or 10 trailer. The best of all worlds as far as I can see. I will be travelling through Salt Lake this summer and if any of these trailers are still there will entertain the purchase thereof. I really thought the forum would rally around these trailers to ensure they would be taken care of and ultimately be included into the circle of 'streamers.

Assuming someone does buy these trailers...will they continue to be the AS's from the dark side? Will the owners of these horribly disfigured and ruined trailers be shunned from these pages, or accepted? There is another thread about a young man who purchased a damaged newer trailer and is attempting to rebuild it on a minor budget...He is one of my personal heroes for his service to this country, and his buy-in into a slice of the American Dream-a slice in the form of rebuilding a damaged Airstream trailer-one that was new, but wrecked during delivery. Would the purchase of one of these flooded trailers be any different than this example or different from removing critter infestations and ruined insulation, etc, etc from a 30-40 year old trailer? If the collective forum thought these trailers should have been scrapped, then we missed the opportunity to control the trailer's fate by not opting into my "idiotic" attempt at buying them. We collectively could have prevented these trailers from ever being restored...but do you think the amazingly talented people of this forum would have let that happen? I think not.

These trailers are not going to go away. They may not sell for a price low enough to vindicate how the collective forum feels about them, and they may not be the collective forum's cup of tea, but someone, sometime will come onto this forum and acknowledge their purchase of one of these trailers. Sooner, or later. I say we can have a moment of silence for them and then turn the collective genius of this forum into a mighty arm of restoration for them. Perhaps along the way, we will truly learn how badly these trailers were damaged and learn empirically what it takes to restore a flooded trailer. Who knows? Perhaps some famous Movie, TV or music star will ultimately end up with one of these trailers. At which point we can all ooh and ahh from a distance...who knows?
ol' bill, (blown away by the total purchase price of these trlrs, but still thinkin' about them)
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #195
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yes, wmarsha, there is always someone willing to drink the kool-aid. Doesn't mean that they would be wise to do so.

As for future value - suppose you or someone else are successful in buying "right" and then restoring it? How could your customer know that everything was done correctly in the areas that cannot be inspected? Would it be reasonable of them to demand a discount or should they just take the representations as fact? How much of a discount would it take before they would choose these rigs over another with a clearer history. I guess that's where you would need another buyer who feels that these are somehow noble and deserving of salvation.

As for how you would be welcomed, I can't see how the welcome would have anything to do with the pedigree of your Airstream. Just that when it comes time to sell it you will certainly be punished by the market.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #196
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suppose how to treat the flooded trailers depends on where you are coming from—save an Airstream no matter what the cost, or looking at it from a cost/benefit analysis. One of the costs hard to determine is the danger to your health by working and camping in it (i.e., can they really be cleaned?).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The trailers were just too expensive for the amount of work they would need but I wouldn't have been afraid of them.
I think that folks who don't like the thought of the flooded trailers have never rebuilt an old trailer or anything else that is old and icky.

HAVE YOU EVER HAD TO WORK ON RENTAL PROPERTY???? Talk about working with the nasty stuff - I could tell you stories. Ever been a rental house where the people are on HUD assistance - the pigs should live outside!!! Have you ever seen a plumber bite his fingernails after he has worked on your toilet - at least the smart ones wait until they have washed their hands......

I have rebuilt an old trailer and you wouldn't belive the nasty stuff you come across.
The pro's of a new trailer would outweigh an old trailer because you would be starting with a good solid frame, new axles, and the interior could be rebuilt just as it was new IF YOU PUT THE TIME AND EFFORT INTO THE PROJECT. This would mean removing the interior walls and replacing the insulation. The wiring would be just fine - probably have to replace any lower fixtures and outlets. A good scrubbing would clean up the remainder.
Here are some pictures of when I took the belly pan down from my trailer. How about some mouse dung, dirt, cigarette butts and cartons from the factory etc.... it's all there!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 104.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	92811

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 103.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	92812
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #198
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
Assuming someone does buy these trailers...will they continue to be the AS's from the dark side? Will the owners of these horribly disfigured and ruined trailers be shunned from these pages, or accepted? There is another thread about a young man who purchased a damaged newer trailer and is attempting to rebuild it on a minor budget...He is one of my personal heroes for his service to this country, and his buy-in into a slice of the American Dream-a slice in the form of rebuilding a damaged Airstream trailer-one that was new, but wrecked during delivery. Would the purchase of one of these flooded trailers be any different than this example or different from removing critter infestations and ruined insulation, etc, etc from a 30-40 year old trailer? If the collective forum thought these trailers should have been scrapped, then we missed the opportunity to control the trailer's fate by not opting into my "idiotic" attempt at buying them. We collectively could have prevented these trailers from ever being restored...but do you think the amazingly talented people of this forum would have let that happen? I think not.

These trailers are not going to go away. They may not sell for a price low enough to vindicate how the collective forum feels about them, and they may not be the collective forum's cup of tea, but someone, sometime will come onto this forum and acknowledge their purchase of one of these trailers. Sooner, or later. I say we can have a moment of silence for them and then turn the collective genius of this forum into a mighty arm of restoration for them. Perhaps along the way, we will truly learn how badly these trailers were damaged and learn empirically what it takes to restore a flooded trailer. Who knows? Perhaps some famous Movie, TV or music star will ultimately end up with one of these trailers. At which point we can all ooh and ahh from a distance...who knows?
ol' bill, (blown away by the total purchase price of these trlrs, but still thinkin' about them)

I doubt they will be shunned in any way, and in fact many members on here considered the idea of getting one. From what I have seen in these forums, anyone buying one and attempting to repair it will get NOTHING but help and praise, crud, I have not recieved one "oh, you should have left that one to die" comment on ours, and have gotten many PM's of encourgement when members saw the state of the roof damage my wife and I bought into.

The problem with these, and reason for people commenting on these is not that any owner will be shunned, but a collective concensus that any buyer should be WELL warned of the state of things, by people who don't have dog in the fight, or trailer in the park, if you will. To pay 16+ thousand dollars for a trailer that needs all or most of the work any older $3-4k trailer needs is what I think most of us on here want to prevent, even more so if it's some one who hasn't a clue about AS's in general, or these streams in particular.

If you told us YOU had decided to buy one, as you imply you may if you get the chance to inspect one in Utah, well, I am sure we will all be glad for you and figure YOU know what you are doing and what you are willing to take on. and, we want pictures of what you discover..

2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #199

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I think that folks who don't like the thought of the flooded trailers have never rebuilt an old trailer or anything else that is old and icky.
I have, and the insulation in my 40 year old trailer was actually in very good shape in the walls. Whereas the insulation in the walls of the flooded trailers spent some period of time soaking in sewer water. As did the floors, cabinets, appliances, cushions, curtains, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
To pay 16+ thousand dollars for a trailer that needs all or most of the work any older $3-4k trailer needs is what I think most of us on here want to prevent, even more so if it's some one who hasn't a clue about AS's in general, or these streams in particular.
I've seen a lot of people start restoration projects (cars and trailers) because they wanted to get into the hobby cheap. But buying an unrestored disaster is NOT the best way to get into a hobby. Getting a nearly finished project that someone has already put a lot of good quality work into before becoming burned out - that is the best deal you can get in any hobby! But if you're just starting out, you don't want to be the poor guy who gets in over his head and ends up burned out on the project and selling it to some lucky fellow down the line.

I think it would be very interesting to see someone tear into one and restore it, but only if they really know what they're getting into. If they have to come here to ask about what it might entail, I would encourage them to run - find a vintage trailer that will only need half the work and do that first.

The flooded trailers will be a lot more work than that Bambi with the crushed roof - he could probably camp in it right now.

Bill, go get one, maybe if you open one up and find it's not so bad, everyone will change their tune

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #200
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The pic of the " dealers" standing next to the blown-out sheetrock should say it all.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote