Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I'd consider buying one. I have rebuild our house which had the basement flooded and full of mold - price paid was essentially for the price of the lot it sit's on. Tore out the entire inside. Scrubbed every stud down with professional remediation products, had the inside surfaces/air tested and it was deemed clean. Rebuilt the house and am now living in it.
When I rebuild my trailer it was essentially the same cleaning tasks - I cleaned/painted/refurbed ever part of the trailer I touched.
Let us know if any actually come up for sale. Sounds like a fun project to me!
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I do not see the advantage of spending 5k on a new shell versus a vintage shell. The job is identical using either shell.

Just out of curiosity, Dan did you look at the way those new units are constructed? I would not even consider doing what you are when for the same money you could have a nice vintage rig.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hmmm.....

Hypothetical Question Ahead:

For $5,000 would you purchase:

A: A perfect condition 2007 safari with the interior removed to the skins, with good axles, frame & lights (basically looks great on the outside)

b: A perfect condition 1967 safari with the interior removed to the skins, with good axles, frame & lights (basically looks great on the outside)

c: Neither, I wouldn't spend $5,000 on a gutted Airstream
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
C. my answer is C.

How ever I would:

A) pay $5000 for a 1967 Safari in fair condition. Knowing full well that it needs everything from the axles up no matter what the seller says. I would also know full well that most everything does not work and when stuff does I would be very happy to find this out.

B) pay $5000 for a fair condition anything pre 1958 and be very happy if anything worked and if anything was inside knowing once again that it needs everything from the axles up.

C) allow you to pay me $5000 to take one of those new trailers flooded in Atlanta.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I guess that's the question - what do you gain by starting with a new shell? Front panaromic windows were available on 80s ASs and older Argosies. The newer floorplans are neat, but if you're talking a gut job, you could install that in an older trailer. (Maybe some of the plumbing would be in the right place, say if you wanted a side bath.) You're throwing out all of the new surface finishes and appliances anyway.

Of course, different stokes for different folks.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Height...the late models have more headroom.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I might take on one of those - I do think $5000. is too much. I thinlk the $1000 to $1500 is closer to the figure. I am about to start working on my 71 Overlander from the Tires up. Big job but I can handle it - I have my shop cleaned out and ready but the drive in door is too short - I am going to put a carport out front for the TT. Put everything I take out it in the shop.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
I might take on one of those - I do think $5000. is too much. I thinlk the $1000 to $1500 is closer to the figure. I am about to start working on my 71 Overlander from the Tires up. Big job but I can handle it - I have my shop cleaned out and ready but the drive in door is too short - I am going to put a carport out front for the TT. Put everything I take out it in the shop.

Yes... that's what I figure. $1000 - $15000 is plenty. Salvage value for the aluminum!

We should perhaps ask what Airstream sells empty shells for (we know they do sell them, just not to individuals, only to businesses which can demonstrate a plan to build a balanced and safe unit.)

Paula
Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
To the people arguing for the position of just buying a vintage, look at it from the perspective of getting to go through renovating a vintage trailer except with a decent skin/frame/axle/wheel/brakes all from the get go.

This would be an awesome renovation thread to put up on the forums, just like A-Merry-Can's and Carlos's except providing new knowledge for the people that don't have vintage trailers to look at, but still want to see some How-To's on their trailer. Maybe have a review of Airstream's newer designs first hand.

These trailers might not have the history that a vintage would, or the prestige that would come from restoring a vintage, but to let these trailers get scrapped would be a shame.

It may stink, and it may have phantom problems forever more(don't vintage have em anyway?), but for young guys whom vintage doesn't appeal this is a great opportunity to get all the benefits of the newer designs without having to pay 60K for it. Even if it does cost 15k to renovate it.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #30
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
To the people arguing for the position of just buying a vintage, look at it from the perspective of getting to go through renovating a vintage trailer except with a decent skin/frame/axle/wheel/brakes all from the get go.
Sadly, you will see most of those problems way early in the life of these trailers. And I think most who have full montied a trailer will tell you they have more than 15k in the job.

Yes, a restored vintage trailer will have problems, as do new.

In my opinion, and this only my opinion based on my observations, very few owners wish they had a "newer" AS, once the aluminitus sets in.. they want an older one, not newer. And I think the very act of owning an AS causes aluminitus.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
Sadly, you will see most of those problems way early in the life of these trailers. And I think most who have full montied a trailer will tell you they have more than 15k in the job.
Well, while they may not have don a full shell off replacement, they have done extensive work on the rest of the trailer and from what I've seen are the only ones to put up a cost report with their thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f125...y-43744-5.html

Turns out they ended up around 10.5k with 13.5k being the cost of the trailer added in.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
It may stink, and it may have phantom problems forever more(don't vintage have em anyway?), but for young guys whom vintage doesn't appeal this is a great opportunity to get all the benefits of the newer designs without having to pay 60K for it. Even if it does cost 15k to renovate it.
To be fair, I wouldn't attach a demographic to vintage ownership. I'm 38 and own a vintage trailer because its design was the best for my needs and uses - I'm certainly not alone in that. I could also pay $35k and get the benefits of a newer used trailer. No full rebuild needed, and there would be better resale from avoiding the salvage title.

I do agree that it would be a shame for these trailers to go to waste.

But having seen Annette's Folly in person, I think there would be more costs involved in restoring one of these flood trailers. IIRC, Annette was able to reuse basically all of the furniture, cabinets, and cushions. I wonder how well the particle-board furniture in these flooded trailers is going to hold up - I'd assume it has swelled from immersion and drying.

Not that a flooded vintage trailer (even a pre-71 with hardwood cabinets or my Minuet's aluminium cabinets) wouldn't have those problems - but then again, most folks don't start with a flooded vintage trailer...

Tom
Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Well, while Annette may have been able to save the furniture, she still had to replace the axle/ air conditioner, which with these trailers, may have been saved. Not to mention the skin may still be viable. There is a ton of savings alone right there.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
A pair of Dexter axles run about $1100. No issues with bearings/brakes from being submerged. The AC is what, $900? Again, you know it will work, rather than something that sat underwater. That $2000 could quickly be consumed in cushions, mattresses, and interior finishes.

Again, I think it would be a cool project - but assuming that even the "hard goods" on these trailers will be trouble-free is optimistic. The big advantage is that you'd avoid the frame rot that usually needs to be repaired on vintage - but that's more time than money.

Tom
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
While that may be true that all depends on what the owner decides to put into the trailer. It's up to whomever purchases these guys to decide what may or may not go inside. While things like a frame/ axle/ skin are constant.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
In my opinion, and this only my opinion based on my observations, very few owners wish they had a "newer" AS, once the aluminitus sets in.. they want an older one, not newer. And I think the very act of owning an AS causes aluminitus.
That is so very true. The construction of the trailer is a huge factor too. Next rally you attend count rivets. I suggest you start with that 07 or 08 next door. It will take you far less time than a 58- 62 of the same length. Don't even bother with a pre 58 for the number of rivets will boggle your mind. When you gut that trailer out 100% you will be wondering why there is huge gobs of caulk all over the seams. In the olden days sealer was put on the seams, now they stop the water in rain tunnel once it starts coming in. Those new trailers go in and out a few times before someone says "okay, that is good enough"
And while I am railing on...15K is the price of just materials. The 400 or more man hours are not included in that figure.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #37
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
And while I am railing on...15K is the price of just materials. The 400 or more man hours are not included in that figure.
Gosh, I hope we only have 400 hours in ours when done.. I suspect we will have double that.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote