Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2007, 02:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Fishy RV repair guy?

I hired a RV repair guy to put in new appliances in my 71. The local RV dealer gave me his contacts and as I am in the boonies and he does mobile work it seemed like the best solution. So far so good. This guy recommended replacing all my appliances with new, and in fact says he won't even work on the original apliances because he doesn't want to get blamed when they break down again. OK, neither will any of the RV dealers in 100 miles work on them, I checked. He was supposed to have the work done last week but the refridgerator was backordered from his supplier. It happens. Next he was supposed to get it done this week. He said a small repair he was working on for someone else turned unexpectedly major. That has happened to me too. He then suggests I bring the trailer to him and he promises I can still have it Saturday for Memorial Day weekend. OK. I call him to tell him I'm leaving and will call him for directions when I get to Albuquerque. 15 minutes later he calls me back very apologetic and says to me "my sister just called me and told me my mother's dying. I have to go to the hospital" I'm just starting to get a little concerned. He either has my new appliances or my $2800. Maybe this is just a string of bad luck (caca pasa) or maybe he is stalling, or maybe he's scamming me. I did a check and found he has a couple of DUIs from the 80's and 90's but no fraud I can find. Also nothing on him from the local Better Business Bureau. Maybe his mom is really dying and I don't want to overreact, not yet anyway. If he is legit I don't want to alienate him. These RV repair guys are a might touchy. It's a little too early to call in the FBI. But, anybody have any suggestions about getting my ducks in a row at this point?

PS. I did get a receipt for the money I gave him so far, which was just to cover the cost of the appliances
Old 05-25-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
IMHO, it is difficult to determine what his situation is at this point. It could just be a string of unfortunate events for him. On the other hand, it could be a scam too.

From reading your post, it looks like you already paid for everything in advance (i.e., $2800) or was that just a deposit? Do you have a signed contract or signed receipt or anything that shows you gave him $2800 in exchange for purchasing/installing appliances? Worse case scenario, you will eventually have the cashed check from your bank so if you do need to take him to small claims court, you would have a case with just the cashed check.

I would give him a week (to mourn his mom) and then follow up again with him.

Good luck and let us know how this all pans out.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Marshall,

Sounds like your mobile tech is stalling. These things have happened to me during the course of business, but I ALWAYS stay in touch with the customer to keep them fully informed of these types of situations. My reputation is built on solid communications with my customers and on-time appointments.

I think that you should give him one more shot at doing your work. A week or two should be sufficient 'grieving time'. After that, either get your money refunded or get your appliances. I'm sure that he isn't the only mobile tech in your area, and almost any dealer will install new appliances.

Patience is a virtue but keep the guns loaded and ready for action if necessary.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
In central Fla. cash in advance is about a 50/50 proposition for ever getting your work done. Once they have the bucks it is work done when and if the contractor/repair person pleases. Laws are weak and difficult to get enforced. Best of luck. I'd call the RV dealer that recommended this guy and suggest it reflects on their reputation as well. Maybe they can lean on him. At least he answers your calls.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hey Marshal,

If the deal goes south you might consider doing the work yourself. I have had everything but the water heater out so far in the Trade Wind. I'm not a mechanical guy but most of it is straight forward. The big adavantage (money issues aside) is you will know your coach better and if something goes wrong on the road you will be better prepared to deal with it. I figure its all part of the ride..

Good luck

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Damn the appliances, camping ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna

From reading your post, it looks like you already paid for everything in advance (i.e., $2800) or was that just a deposit? Do you have a signed contract or signed receipt or anything that shows you gave him $2800 in exchange for purchasing/installing appliances?
I have a signed receipt for the $.. I only paid him for the appliances. The deal was he gets paid for the install afterwards.

By the way, I don't have any appliances or water, but I do have a toilet, and I'm going camping this weekend
Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
By the way, I don't have any appliances or water, but I do have a toilet, and I'm going camping this weekend
Good for you! Enjoy!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
In central Fla. cash in advance is about a 50/50 proposition for ever getting your work done. Once they have the bucks it is work done when and if the contractor/repair person pleases. Laws are weak and difficult to get enforced. Best of luck. I'd call the RV dealer that recommended this guy and suggest it reflects on their reputation as well. Maybe they can lean on him. At least he answers your calls.
I never request CIA for parts purchases, but I do require the customer to sign a work order. In FL, that constitutes a contract and allows me to place a mechanic's lein on the person's RV if they decide that they don't want to continue with the work or they just refuse to pay when it's completed.

BTW: I've never had to use it yet!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I never request CIA for parts purchases, but I do require the customer to sign a work order. In FL, that constitutes a contract and allows me to place a mechanic's lein on the person's RV if they decide that they don't want to continue with the work or they just refuse to pay when it's completed.

BTW: I've never had to use it yet!
That would have been difficult as the work on the trailer as planned was to be on my property.

I did a little more checking on this guy. He is not a fly by night gypsy, he has been in the area for a while. The Better Business Bureau has nothing on him. Neither does the state Consumer Protection Office. Nothing criminal has shown up except 2 DWIs in the past 20 years, one dismissed. Assuming a good rep is a professional asset, I can use that as a hammer if I need to.

I talked to some cop friends of mine. If it really gets bad, after I have sued the guy in small claims, it becomes a criminal case.

I am still guardedly optomistic it will work out short of getting nasty, so I am giving this guy the benfit of the doubt and try to keep a positive relationship as long as possible.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you're suspicious of the dying mother, ask him where to send flowers.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi,

"He then suggests that I bring the trailer to him." [Post #1]

"That would be difficult as the work on the trailer as planned was to be on my property." [Post #9]

With a mechanic's lein, it does not matter where the trailer is located, the law would be on his side.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
If you paid for the appliances they are yours. If he has more 'emergencies' demand the appliances or your money. If his BBB record is clean tell him there will be a spot on it if you are not satisfied. And a toilet, camp stove and ice chests work well in an Airstream. Still better than a tent. Enjoy the weekend.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
I think you should go with your gut and trust your instincts. There is a reason he is putting you off. Do you know where he lives? Maybe it's time to make a house call and find out where your fridge is. I bet you he is not at his mothers.

M.W.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Do you have access to the obits in his area? Pick up a paper and find the obit to confirm the death or call the town/city hall in his town. They will have a record of it. At least if you confirm the mother's death I would think you would feel alot better about this.

I also agree with a previous post of asking for your appliances. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Stuff like this is stressful.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I called him up last night, and asked if he had time to talk. He said he had a few minutes. He probably thought I was calling to complain. Instead I said I just want to check how you're doing. Didn't say a word about the Airstream. Said he is still at the hospital and his mom is hanging on. Told him our thoughts and prayers are with him and his mom. He the said we will talk Sunday or Monday and he values his commitments. Since he opened the door I said we have our trust in you. The call ended with him calling me friend.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Sounds like you handled that with true class. Everyone is always so eager to look for the bad side of things these days. I know the sick feeling you get in your stomach when you think you've been taken after trusting someone. If you have to have a fault, there could be alot worse ones than being too trusting! (I've told that to my husband about myself many times!) I hope it all works out for you & you have gained a true friend! (and new appiances!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Marshall,

Glad to hear that you situation seems to be turning out well. I'm sure that the repair guy's head has not been on straight lately given his situation with Mom, but a quick call to customers would have put ALL of your trepidations to rest instantly.

Let's hope that you get your project done soon.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Quote:
I called him up last night, and asked if he had time to talk. He said he had a few minutes. He probably thought I was calling to complain. Instead I said I just want to check how you're doing. Didn't say a word about the Airstream. Said he is still at the hospital and his mom is hanging on. Told him our thoughts and prayers are with him and his mom. He the said we will talk Sunday or Monday and he values his commitments. Since he opened the door I said we have our trust in you. The call ended with him calling me friend.
Wow. Sounds like you handled it really well. I live in Los Angeles, where you learn to be on your toes about these things. The high cost of living here turns the entire population into starving wolves. I hope you get your AS taken care of!

M.W.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The Final Chapter (I hope)

I talked to the fishy rv guy Monday. Said he was in Connecticut to make arrangements for his mother's funeral and would be in Connecticut a week. I asked him if he could tell me where he bought my appliances. He said a supplier but would not give me the name. He said if it would make me feel better he will mail me a certified refund check on Tuesday. I said OK, and I will hold it until he can show me he is able to do the work. On Wednesday I drove into Albuquerque on other business and afterwards went to his address. Which, turned out to be a trailer park in which he lives in his trailer. The RV park office told me they saw him Tuesday. I went to his trailer and he was home He offered to give me my money in cash on the spot. Which he did $2000 in crispy new $100 bills which he says is all he had. (Do you think that had anything to do with I am 6'3" 260lbs?) Said he did mail the check and we can work out the other $600 he owes me when I get it tomorrow. We will see if the check's in the mail. He lives close to a Camper's World which I visited to check on prices on appliances. Turns out he did order mine and they are in the back somewhere but the cashier couldn't or wouldn't tell me if they were paid for. ( He told me 3 weeks ago he paid for them, probably not). Turns out I could buy the appliances myself for a few hundred dollars cheaper than he charged me .

Today I called up the local Airstream dealer in Albuquerque and told him I wanted a quote on an install for new appliances. I could sense the dollar signs on the other end of the line. After telling them what I want and getting ready to make the appointment the voice on the other end asked "and what year is your Airstream Mr. Hall" I replied "1971" They replied "I'm sorry sir, but we don't work on anything more than 20 years old"

But they gave me the name of an other RV guy. I thought to myself "here we go again" another rv moron who knows less than this one does. But, to my pleasant surprise this rv guy knows Airstreams, even better he knows old Airstreams, better yet he says he will work on em even mines. He actualky knows what he is talking about Says he is really busy and won't be able to get to mine for a week . Says I don't need a new fridge he can fix the old Dometic cheap, and probably the furnace, and maybe the Armstrong, and he can slip a new Atwood right in the hole for the old one and use my nice stainless cover. I take it to him Saturday for a looksie
Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
..The RV park office told me they saw him Tuesday. I went to his trailer and he was home He offered to give me my money in cash on the spot. Which he did $2000 in crispy new $100 bills which he says is all he had. (Do you think that had anything to do with I am 6'3" 260lbs?) ..
Marshall,

You may be big, but you are a pussycat at heart.

You may not remember, but we met you and your wife in Death Valley in November, 2004 and you were kind enough to play, the harpsichord if I remember correctly, after dinner for the El Camino Real Airstream group.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote