Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Extended Warranty?

What does the Forum think about the value of Extended Warranty? My dealer offers a 6 year one (on top of the 2 yr Airstream one).

Jer
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't think it's worth getting for the money they want. For the prices I was quoted, I think it would be fair for a motorhome, but not for a trailer. And who is going to honor these warranties? As a new car dealer employee, after market warranties are a pain in the @$$. Tell us what you were quoted and what you get, what's covered, and for how long.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Warranty

Bob,

The quote was $2,500 for six years. It covers appliances, electrical, plumbing, etc. Pretty much everything.

Jer
Old 10-23-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I wouldn't!

To me it reminds me of what I told my kids when we were in Vegas one time. "Who do you think pays for all these lights?" I look at the insurance companies in the same way. Who pays their overhead? All those folks who pay for, and never use an extended warranty. Could you have something catasrophic happen? Maybe.
Do you think the average trailer racks up a $2500 bill in six years for the covered items? Probably not. So if you go with the law of averages, don't buy the ext. warranty.
My .02

Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Many past threads on this issue:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ended+warranty

The search function is pretty rudimentary as such things go but a major topic like this is pretty easy to find. One step at a time, Jer, and we'll have you helping others before you know it!

Bob
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscinante
Bob,

The quote was $2,500 for six years. It covers appliances, electrical, plumbing, etc. Pretty much everything.

Jer
I have yet to find or hear of anyone that "ever" got a good deal by having an extended warranty, since there inception.

Secondly, "MOST" dealers will not accept any work that will be paid by those extended warranty companies.

Most of those companies, will ok an estimate, then balk about the amount after the fact and then take months to pay a fraction of what they agreed to pay in the first place.

Therefore you have to pay the dealers bill and just hope you can collect something, is the name of their game.

Best on going "ripoff" in the RV industry.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Thanks!

We listened to our new Airstream family and passed on the ext. warranty.

So, if I show up in your driveway looking for a little help to fix something....

Jer

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Old 10-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've had my first repair bill on the Classic and if I had taken the warranty, it would not have been covered. Cracked skylight which caused a leak is not covered. Next repair is the crack in the A/C cover. Again not covered. It's considered normal wear and tear. Even though Duo-Therm gives you a 3 year parts warranty, the cover only has a 90 day warranty.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I've had my first repair bill on the Classic and if I had taken the warranty, it would not have been covered. Cracked skylight which caused a leak is not covered. Next repair is the crack in the A/C cover. Again not covered. It's considered normal wear and tear. Even though Duo-Therm gives you a 3 year parts warranty, the cover only has a 90 day warranty.

Jack

As they say in the RV industry, "And the band played on."

This is a very good example of what "extended warranty" policies do, or should we say don't do.

The greatest thing they are good for amoung many owners, is "what a huge dent it made in their check book, with little to no real aid."

The entended warranty insurance companies are also very good at denials and short changing repair shops.

However, they are very courteous in the process.

Jack. Would you do it again?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Angry

At the risk of offending any people that sell extended warranties, I don't think they are worth much at all. If you want to use the $1200 or so, put it in the bank, and use it, plus the interest you will be paid on it, to repair the things that break, that will not be covered anyway. Of the 5 or so a week I get in our shop, 3 are usually denied for what I feel are "made up" reasons.
Like the air conditioner compressor claim that was denied because the car was 600 miles overdue for an oil change, "showing a pattern of neglect and abuse".
Old 10-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Another good idea, when financing a rig, and you decide you "JUST" have to have an "Extended Warranty", pay it up front. That goes for sale tax, too if possible, pay it up front, and don't add it to your financed amount.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if you can't get an extended from the manufacture, don't buy one at all. For anything.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #13
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Hi All,
Extendet warranty is the biggest scam around. It is for the weak. The warranty companies close their doors when there to many claims and you are left with nothing. I had it happen in the transmission industry. They take the money but when the claims hit they go bankrupt and open under new name in another state. As in many cases the denial was always abuse or we do not cover this or they try to get you to buy a used part as a replacement. As someone suggested take the money and put it in a savings account and add to it monthly if you are worried about the warranty.
Regards Russell in sunny and warm Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I bought a basic calcualtor for $9 and when I got to the register, the checkout girl asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I chuckled but had to ask how much it was. She politely responded it was $6 and added 1 year to the manufacturers warranty. I still chuckle when I think about it.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Regardless of the product, if you purchase an extended warranty or service contract, only consider one offered by the manufacturer of the product. After market warranties are a gamble at best. As stated they will most likely be out of business or refuse to pay as agreed when needed. I do not know if Airstream offers or backs their own service contract.

At my new car dealership I only sell the service contract offered and backed by the manufacturer of the new vehicles I sell. I do not sell an after market service contract and I do not allow my service department to get involved when a service customer has an after market warranty. They will do the repair and bill the customer. It is then up to the customer to collect from the after market warranty company.

Extended warranties or service contracts are no different than any other insurance product. They are only as good as the company backing them. They provide the owner with repair coverage in the event of a break down and sometimes these repair bills can be catastrophic - several times the price of the contract. They also provide peace of mind that in the event of such an occurrence, the repair bill will be paid, as well as towing and in some instances trip interruption protection (hotel accommodations) and alternate transportation.

We all carry insurance on our cars, homes, trailers and even our lives. Just because we have never gotten to take advantage of them do we consider them not necessary. Especially in the case of someone with life insurance. I've never seen anyone mad because they didn't die, and thus wasted all that money on life insurance.

If you have the means and/or the will power to sock away funds to cover future repairs or if you're handy enough to do the repairs yourself then maybe you don't require a service contract. But, if you can find a reputable warranty provider and an equally reputable repair facility, like the idea that future repairs needs are taken care of and can afford the coverage then perhaps you are a candidate for a service contract. When financed with a purchase it may only raise the monthly payment by $15 or $20 dollars.

I can sell a 7 year plan on a $30,000 vehicle for about 7% of the price of the car. That's a bargain compared to extended warranties on electronics and appliances. I laugh and walk away from these also. Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
As they say in the RV industry, "And the band played on."

The greatest thing they are good for amoung many owners, is "what a huge dent it made in their check book, with little to no real aid."

The entended warranty insurance companies are also very good at denials and short changing repair shops.
Jack. Would you do it again?

Andy
Andy,

I turned down the offer for the extended policy. My point was that here are my first two out of pocket repairs, and even if I had taken out the policy, neither item would have been covered.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
wow, some excellent advice here. thanks, kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote