Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
To be 180 out you would think a reversed part. How much did the shop disassemble to get to this point. How dose the Jeep steer. Did the impact shear a roll pin and let a gear slip or jump.

I had a Firebird hit many years ago and the steering wheel was bent, the shop straightened the wheel and insurance refused to replace. I told them I wanted it in writing that they refused to replace wheel in case it failed due to metal fatigue, it was replaced. I would scream safety issues on the entire steering system, get you further along than the threat of court the have lawyers on the shelf they understand liability.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Thanks Jim , good points. Haven't threatened court yet,were still waiting for a response from the insurance commissioner. They are suppose to get back by Wednesday. I think it truly may be a liability issue and I don't think the shop can just give it back fixing most of what the accident caused and not completing the work because they can't figured it out.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Thanks Jim , good points. Haven't threatened court yet,were still waiting for a response from the insurance commissioner. They are suppose to get back by Wednesday. I think it truly may be a liability issue and I don't think the shop can just give it back fixing most of what the accident caused and not completing the work because they can't figured it out.
They work on what is written up and only what is written up. When something else pops up it is called a undisclosed defect they contact the insurance company the price negotiated and the repair is completed, this can go on for sometime. I actually think you should tell the insurance company to call you when the car is repaired, you will then inspect the repair and accept or reject. My tact to the insurance commissioner it that the repair is not being made in a timely manner and your are being harmed because you are deprived of the use of the jeep. You don't care what is repaired as long as you get it repaired to the state it was in before the accident. At some point the insurance company has to figure it out they are paying. It is a pain when the actions of others causes so much grief.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Jeep steering wheel

Hi, something is still bent or something was installed incorrectly. Usually the steering wheel goes about three and a half or four turns lock to lock, so the pitman arm would only have to be off a few splines to for the steering wheel to be upside down. It's not the gear box. [very rare for the sector shaft to be twisted and not break] Right now it would be cheaper to just pay them and have an alignment shop fix it. Then re-bill them or the insurance company. If them idiots don't know how to fix it then why would you insist on leaving it there?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Craftsman; Check the shaft U-joints, they may have slipped. "Boatdoc"
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Take it to a good front end shop and have it checked. To find a good front end shop, if you know anyone who races or rallies ask who they use.

There is something WAY off on your Jeep. My guess is they put something on wrong. Or, something is bent and was not fixed. In any case if they can't find the problem they don't know what they are doing. Take it to someone who does.