Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Earthquake Damage & Loss not covered in Homeowner Policies

Not sure what this might have to do with our Airstreams, but thought you might not know that earthquake damage is NOT covered in Homeowners Insurance Policies.

What with the supposed increase in the amount and locations & severity of quakes in these possible "end" times. Just something else to think about.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
You can purchase an earthquake rider for your homeowners policy. (We have, and it's not that expensive.)

I suspect that earthquake damage to your Airstream would be covered by the comprehensive component of the trailer insurance, but haven't checked my policy.

And of course, if the world is going to end, it doesn't matter!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Earthquake insurance in California.

Hi, I also have Earthquake insurance; Every once in a while there is a small window of opportunity to purchase it, then it is not available. Lots of exclusions and deductibles, but better than not having it, if and when, you ever need it. So far I haven't needed it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Not sure what this might have to do with our Airstreams, but thought you might not know that earthquake damage is NOT covered in Homeowners Insurance Policies.

What with the supposed increase in the amount and locations & severity of quakes in these possible "end" times. Just something else to think about.
Sounds like you need end times insurance. Earthquake insurance isn't going to make any difference......unless you're left behind.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Sounds like you need end times insurance. Earthquake insurance isn't going to make any difference......unless you're left behind.
I'm carrying end times insurance, but it doesn't come with a backslide rider. I know many don't think that the policy can lapse, but I am not so sure.Getting covered is quick, staying covered is a challenging endeavor.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This is another good reason NOT TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA.

Perry

Quote:

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Why are you worrying about insurance if we nearing end times"?
Are you planning to stay here with me?
If so I'll split whats left with you.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I'm carrying end times insurance, but it doesn't come with a backslide rider. I know many don't think that the policy can lapse, but I am not so sure.Getting covered is quick, staying covered is a challenging endeavor.
Wise words, my friend.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had the dubious honor of experiencing first-hand the earthquake in Virginia this past summer, at a state park 50 miles northeast of the epicenter.

After seeing what really limited but very costly damage that quake caused, compared to elsewhere in this country and the world, we vowed to add earthquake coverage to our homeowner's policy when we got home.

We met with our State Farm agent last week, and received our new bill yesterday. It added only $29 to our annual cost, with a % deductible of actual replacement costs.

Now, another earthquake in Oklahoma, of all places!

Glad we did it, ya just never know what the day might bring.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yes, I also experienced that earthquake. Here in Virginia Beach, it was a pretty mild shake. Until I saw what happened to the Washington monument and to the small town near the earthquake I didn't know it caused any damage.

I did have a two day headache - that I thought was sinus related - before the quake. It went away almost as soon as the quake was over. (I'll let you all know next time I get such a headache... see if I'm really sensitive, or if it was just a concidence.)

Paula
Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Evidentially the cost of earthquake insurance depends on where you live. In California it is several hundred dollars a year and comes with something like a $10,000 deductible, if I remember right. I looked at it closely several years ago and realized it that it only protects you against a narrow range of risk - if the earthquake is small the damage will be below your deductible, and if it is "the big one" all the insurance companies will go bankrupt and you won't get anything anyway.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
Evidentially the cost of earthquake insurance depends on where you live. In California it is several hundred dollars a year and comes with something like a $10,000 deductible, if I remember right. I looked at it closely several years ago and realized it that it only protects you against a narrow range of risk - if the earthquake is small the damage will be below your deductible, and if it is "the big one" all the insurance companies will go bankrupt and you won't get anything anyway.

We are in a low-risk area, but there was a quake in Illinois in the 1800's that was quite severe. It could happen again. We have State Farm insurance, and I guess they could go bankrupt but hopefully not from a quake in central Illinois.

Quake insurance could be cost-prohibitive, you're right. Our deductible would be massive, anyway, from our perspective. We can afford $29 a year, and will hopefully never need it. Seemed like the prudent thing to do.

We also didn't and still don't have flood insurance, as we are not on a flood plain or anywhere near a body of water. We figure if we ever have a flood where we live, we will have far greater catastrophic issues to deal with than flooding.

Virginia was not a high risk area, either, and according to news reports at the time most of those folks had not taken out earthquake insurance.

As I recall, there were houses/buildings shaken off their foundations in the Virginia quake, and structural damage to chimneys, facades and elsewhere on buildings in the town near the epicenter. The high school had to be closed, as there was too much damage to consider repair.

We were actually rather stunned at the level of damage to buildings and the reported $$ estimates for repair.

However, I for one being highly claustrophobic would never, ever live in a high-risk area. When the Virginia quake happened, we had come that day through Washington DC, and were very, very thankful we had not been in the city on an overpass or some such location during the quake. It would have been absolutely terrifying. We talked with a couple who were in the Washington Monument when it hit. Yikes!

Peace and stable earth to all.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
A trailer sitting out in the open probably won't suffer any damage from the quake. It is the other stuff falling on it that is going to hurt the trailer. The trailer is sitting on rubber wheels on top of springs. It might roll down a hill if not properly chocked.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote