Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plainfield , New Hampshire
Coverage while unhooked at RV park.

The vacation liability coverage sounded good. I checked with GEICO and their affiliate only offered up to $50K , which is lower than the amount at which my umbrella policy kicks in, so the umbrella policy would never kick in because I have to be insured up to the lowest amount of the policy. Note that my homeowners does NOT cover the trailer when it is not on my own property, and the liability coverage for the TV does NOT cover it if it is unhooked. I think people who think that they are covered should check, as this may be one of the main times they need coverage. Does anyone know a company that offers a high vacation liability coverage?
MikeAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #42
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Check Nationwide. They go to $300,000.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
It would be an unusual Homeowners policy that would not cover your trailer in a campground for liability, while you are using the trailer as a temporary residence. The liability part of a Homeowners policy (Section II) covers an "insured location" which is defined as "any part of a premises where an insured is temporarily residing". In the exclusions for liability, a premises that is an insured location is not excluded and the exclusion for motor vehicles including trailers, "does not apply to a trailer not towed by or carried on a motorized land conveyance. Conclusion = you have liability coverage on your travel trailer while it is parked at a campsite, as an extension of your Homeowners policy. An Umbrella would provide coverage as well, while you are parked or towing. Insurance isn't a rip off, but like anything, you've got to shop around. The right agent is just as important as the right company. If you aren't getting the information you need, find another agent. Geo...
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
I have everything (boat, cars, home, umbrella, motorcycles, summer home and now AS) with Nationwide. They've been great and provided extremely competitive rates.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Graford , Texas
USAA carries RV trailer insurance through Progressive and I think it's a little pricey.
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
USAA is open to everyone now, They saved me 1200 a year when I switch from gieco. Although i think abunch of stuff from my teens came off when I made the switch. They kind of said the AS was worth less than 1000. be Careful. I'm about to drop the AS cover to just liability.
nomader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Interesting. GEICO = Government Employees Insurance Co. (or was i Co-Operative). Anyway, they used to only insure government employees, but now open to everyone. Now USAA used to only insure Armed Forces members and families, now open to everyone.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I got it through my parents, who got it from there parents. I felt so lucky, but a month after signing up, it was open to everyone. It makes sense though, The more they insure the cheaper they can be. They have been very decent so far, but I think it won't last. I asked them to do something today, no luck. I have a feeling they would have done it 2 years ago, it's very hit or miss with their customer service.
nomader is offline   Reply With Quote