Old 12-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
California Insurance Quotes

Hello all: We are trying to get insurance on our new Safari SE. So for we have found out the following:

1) Foremost via Liatti and Assoc: Yearly premium for comprehensive is 1823.00. There is no 5 year total replacement loss, only 1 year, and depreciated value thereafter. They claim these are the underwriting rules for Calif.
2) Good Sam: Yearly premium is 700.00. Have not called them to verify details (wife called to get quote) but I believe they have a 5 year total loss provision.
3) Progressive: Spent an hour on phone with them and details are as follows:
a) premium/yr is 546.00.
b) 5 year total loss coverage, so if trailor is totaled, they will pay "actual cost" to buy another "new" trailor of same style and quality in the latter year, ie., up to 2011 if bought in 2006. There is a 500. deductible reducing 100/year for 5 years.
c) 10,000 liability if parked (separated from tow vehicle) and can increase to 500,000 (for drunk guests) for 9.00 extra to the premium
d) 750.00 motel reimbursement per claim
e) Unlimited towing at no extra charge for both tow vehicle and trailor to "qualified facility" (not a gas station in the desert)
f) If being stranded is an issue of a flat tire, or necessary fluids lost, they will provide what ever is required, and you "sign and drive"

I just don't see how I can not have this coverage.

Comments, and what coverage do others have in California.

Thanks, Robert and Sherry

Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Sacramento , California
Insurance

Robert/Sherry - thanks for doing the homework on this issue. I routinely called my State Farm agent for the first year's coverage with the intent of shopping next year. I will forward him your post for his assessment (he is a good friend and will be honest with me!).
Chasgail

Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
For what its worth, here is our coverage and annual cost with USAA, admittedly not available to everyone:

Physical damage coverage:
Comprehensive loss ($1000 deductible) $176.40
Collision loss ($1000 deductible) $135.30
Towing and labor $14.72

That brings the total to $326.42. Pretty reasonable I believe. By the way, we also have 3 vehicles and just 2 drivers insured on the same policy.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Insurance

Hi, Robert and Sherry. I found out that your tow vehicle insurance automatically covers liability. I went with AAA because they cover my cars and because, why would I want to pay twice for liability insurance if my tow vehicle is already insured. I also was able to insure my trailer at invoice list price even though I didn't pay that much. As part of my existing policy, my deductable is $250.00 and I pay about $300.00 a year. Actually this year with discounts more like $270.00.
As for the other kinds of insurance you mentioned, I didn't feel it was necessary for all the bells and whisles. [five year replacement and deductable reduction.] Have your wife, or do it yourself, recheck the quote on Good Sam. I asked for quotes from Good Sam and Camping World; both are from GMAC and both gave me a quote of $695.00 [you stated $700.00 a year] My quotes were for six months. Also recheck your quote from Progressive to make sure it isn't for six months.
Just curious, has anyone on this forum themselves, or anyone you know ever got a brand new replacement trailer [years after purchase] from their insurance company?

Bob
Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Insurance

Hi, back again. Just to let you know, I also have my home insured with AAA and because of that, I have campground liability insurance for my trailer as part of my homeowner's policy. Something else to consider!

Bob
Old 07-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Bob's note reminds me that I should have mentioned that all the liability coverages (bodily injury @ $300,000 per person and @ $500,000 per accident, property damage @ $50,000 per accident, medical payments, and uninsured motorists) are all covered in the tow vehicle's portion of the overall policy. You don't need separate coverages when you get TV and Trailer insurance from the same carrier.

Also, USAA routinely returns about 10-12% of the premiums each year like a dividend due to low loss rates and good investment returns I presume. I quoted annual amounts although the policy itself is 6 months at a time.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Californial Insurance Quotes

Try these people just for comparison.
I just talked with them and they write insurance in California.
They are, American Modern Insurance Group.
Also ask about the agreed upon payout at total.
http://www.amig.com/
Phone Number; 1-800-643-7770
My agent is Mike Koop (ext 5494),
MKoop@amig.com

Beginner
Old 07-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Aaa

Robert and Sherry,

We went the same route as ROBERTSUNRUS and insure with AAA . Our policy is just under $300 a year for our 06 Safari 25FB/SE. As was stated, our auto policy covers liability and our home policy covers campground losses. AAA is one of the best when it comes to claim processing.

John