Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Blue Sky will do Agreed Value insurance policies!

Hey folks! I'm thrilled to report that I've found out Blue Sky Insurance will do "agreed value" insurance policies in certain cases include for vintage Airstreams. As you may know, this type of policy is quite important to have for vintage trailers to establish the value of your trailer (or motorhome/other vehicle) in advance so there isn't a lot of stress and negotiation with the insurance company later in the case of a total loss about what your vehicle is really worth.

The main reason I'm so happy to report this is because I'm only aware of two other companies that do agreed value insurance on our trailers -- those companies are Progressive and Allied. In my case, Blue Sky is coming in at a much better price than either of those companies and that goes for my tow vehicle as well as the trailer.

Over the weekend, I scoured Airforums as well as several other RV message boards and I only found great things people had to say about Blue Sky. As such, I'm really happy to have found them and feel great about my decision to go with them. I am still in the process of signing up but so far the representative I've been working with has been fantastic and I'm ready to move forward after I make final decisions on my coverages.

I have been dealing with Rich Wiersma who is a representative of the company directly. His number is 866-484-2583, x531 if you want to reach him. Their website is at RV Insurance | Motorhome Insurance | Blue Sky RV Insurance

I believe that you can also get Blue Sky insurance through RV agencies such as Dougherty Associates in Sioux Falls Dougherty Associates | RV Ins | Auto Ins | South Dakota | Independent Agency

Working with Rich at the company directly, however, has been great. He had to do some research about getting my Airstream on an Agreed Value policy so it may or may not be easier to get such a policy directly vs with a third party agent. Their website says that Agreed Value policies are only written for bus conversions, but I'm glad that I asked and found out that they could also do vintage trailers.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Don't get too excited. Insurance is regulated by each individual state. Just because Blue Sky will do an agreed-value policy for you in your state doesn't necessarily mean that they will also offer an agreed-value policy for someone else in another state.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Well, that is true, but I don't have any reason to think they would have any restrictions that wouldn't also apply to the other two companies writing these policies, and I have not read about any folks in states where such policies are not allowed. Granted, they *could* have their own underwriting policies by state where they wouldn't offer it somewhere or another, but again, I can't imagine why they would do so any more than the other companies offering the policies.

But I do see that you have noticed my excitement and I do kind of find it amazing myself that I could be so excited about new insurance! LOL. I guess it makes sense though as I'm going to be saving money and getting better insurance coverages in the process! I was becoming frustrated because I wanted Agreed Value and Progressive and Allied quotes were not really working for me and as a result was starting to think I'd be stuck with plan old "cash value" coverage.
WBCCI #1711
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Tallguy - Are you still happy with Blue Sky? I am looking now at appraisals and have an over the phone quote from them. They seem reasonable, just wanted to know how you like them so far.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
No complaints -- no claims either so not a lot to say good or bad yet. They do seem to accept my premium payments very well ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #1711
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
With any insurance against damage to property, the question is always whether the insurance company will pay the claims.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
No complaints -- no claims either so not a lot to say good or bad yet. They do seem to accept my premium payments very well ;-)
My insurance agents are great at that too

Lets hope we never have to test how well they pay out on claims!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thanks for the info. I am doing my annual "check the rates" on insurance and every tidbit of info helps.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Talk to Miller Insurance, they are Independent Agents who do a lot of RV insurance, including Full Timers. Based in Lake Oswego, Oregon, but write a lot for Escapees and Texas residents. They shop the different companies for you, can get Full Timers coverage and Total Loss Replacement for some trailers. Very nice people, easy to deal with. But of course, if an accident does occur, then you are dealing with the claims adjusters of the insuring company. Full Timers do need special coverage, and for new trailers, replacement coverage or agreed value should be given consideration.
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Just got my agreed value policy from Blue Sky.

They were great to work with, they made the whole process easy!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Regarding RV/TT insurance, a common practice here is to list your unit as a rider on your home insurance, with the insured value being the invoice value for new units, or an appraised value for vintage units.

Is this 'rider added to home insurance' less common in the US?
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Regarding RV/TT insurance, a common practice here is to list your unit as a rider on your home insurance, with the insured value being the invoice value for new units, or an appraised value for vintage units.

Is this 'rider added to home insurance' less common in the US?
I believe so, I have never been offered any RV I have owned as a rider on a homeowner policy. They will commonly offer a discount if you have multiple policies with the same carrier, but they are separate policies.

BTW, Blue Sky does agreed value in IL, but they were higher here than Allied. I went with agreed value with Allied last year....but now Blue Sky is after me, looking for my business. Guess I should see if they're better this year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Blue Sky insured my trailer for 30K for less than $300 a year. I didn't shop but I thought this was reasonable enough.

Of course by the time the "extras" were added in it was just over $350 a year, which again seemed reasonable enough to allow the agency a few high margin items..

Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm at 55k coverage for $609 with some replacement cost personal effects coverage, comp, collision, roadside, and quite a bit of "liability" (not for collision...that's on the TV, but like if I burn down the campground, etc)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I bought all of those "extras" too, including emergency roadside service.

It seemed prudent enough, plus they were so easy to work with that I didn't want to say no to the extras.

I guess sometimes I am a pushover..

Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 AM   #16

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We have had Blue Sky (agreed value) insurance for 4 years and one big hail claim. They were great! They let me choose a repair facility and had no issues at all. Also my payment didn't blow up either! My Father in law has Blue Sky on a fifth Wheel and on his first trip out he put one big gash along the side and they were great to him as well.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Last November when we got our 2014 23FB FC the dealer talked us into going with Blue Sky. The cost was $504 for the year. We just got our bill for this year and it went up to $746. We haven't had any claims or traffic violations. When I called my independent agent she told me that she has been getting a lot of complaints about Blue Sky raising their rates. I just got a quote for insurance from Good Sam that was a lot less for the same coverage. Does anyone have Good Sam insurance? Are you happy with them? I have had their road side assistance for a lot of years with no complaints.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #18

Olathe , Kansas
Ours has only gone up a bit and I fell on the floor when I got my quote from Good Sam. I did get a free gift for applying.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Strongsville , Ohio
Send a message via Skype™ to sfalvo
Live in Ohio here, have a 77 Tradewind that I have an agreed value policy through American Commerce. Reasonable rate here too.
sfalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #20

Olathe , Kansas
That's good to hear. I think if you shop around you can find a good deal.