Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Best coverage for used but newish?

We will be picking up our used 2008 International within the month and are trying to figure out everything we need in terms of insurance.

We'll be full-timing and it's crucial that if the thing were ever (g-d forbid) totaled, that we could recoup as much as possible. Definitely willing to pay a higher premium for that peace if mind.

From what I understand, replacement value won't be an option since it's used (even though it's less than 3-4 years old). Is that correct? Is it then important that we go w/ a company that does the "agreed value"? It sounds like Progressive is no longer offering this -- who else does?

Also, how long is that agreed value good for until you have to re-negotiate/prove a new one due to depreciation?

We will want to add on full-timers insurance a few months later, so are trying to find a company that also offers that.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I bought a 3 year old unit last summer and Progressive insured for the amount of the purchase when I provided the bill of sale.

I would say I will be asking for a review of value vs/premium every year. Since these a comprehensive/collision policy (no liability), the premium should theoretically drop some each year. Pays to shop around every once in awhile.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I bought Blue Sky RV insurance and they will pay me the purchase price for two years. The campground liability is also a great price. Call or check them out online. Very good price and customer service.

http://www.blueskyrvinsurance.com
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I got a new Progressive agreed-value policy about three months ago on our 1997. I think it continues to be available.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have both trailers insured with AAA.

In 2002 we were pulling the Caravel down the California coast on Hwy 101. Just north of Santa Barbara the axle broke on the street side, the wheel came off damaging the left side of the trailer, and damaging two cars.

All was taken care of by AAA, the side of the trailer, new axle, damage to both cars, and towing of the trailer to a friends home in Santa Barbara. I don't know what the total bill came to, but I'm sure it was a bunch.

After all was settled, they sent me a check for $150 because I had installed the new axle myself and then towed the trailer to a facility in Bellflower for the body repair. I didn't even ask them for that.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Google "insurance" on the Search function in this site - you will find other options.

I have Progressive but it took some work. My local agents said it was not available and, after a couple calls directly to Progressive, I received an agreed value policy. Used it once just months after getting the policy and was really impressed with the service. And, to date, no price increase. Actually - I received a price decrease (though very minimal) this year.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
Thanks for the feedback, all. I guess I should still look into Progressive, as they do still have "agreed value" policies. Great to know. I'm looking directly, anyway, not through an agent. I got a quote from Foremost yesterday, based on feedback on them in other threads here. I'm also waiting on a quote from the company that currently does our auto and home insurance through Costco, but I don't think they'll be ideal for RVs, especially once we add on Full-timers insurance. I'll post back on how everything compares, though.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
Just wanted to report back that Progressive would *not* give us agreed value for our '08. I spoke with a Progressive rep directly (not an agent), and to told me that they would only offer this for older trailers, or trailers where significant improvements had been made. I explained to him that book value/NADA value was not accurate for airstreams, and I'd be happy to provide whatever proof and comps were needed to establish value, but he was adamant that it would just not happen.

I'm still waiting on a quote back from the insurance we already use for home/auto (Ameriprise), and I'm going to give Blue Sky a shot.

Anyone else aware of any other agencies that might offer agreed value or purchase value policies?

ETA: I can't find a single account of anyone who has had to file a claim with Blue Sky. There is so little info about them out there. But I do like their options. Hmm…
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #9

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Who did you go with? Just curious.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
We ended up with Blue Sky. Very friendly and efficient thus far. Hopefully we won't have to report back how they handle a claim any time soon! I never was able to find any feedback regarding their claims handling, but the purchase price coverage agreement sealed the deal for me.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Depends on who you talk to....

Progressive agents don't all have the same story. I went thru the same statements months ago and found it definitely takes getting to the right person to get the agreed value statement.

But mine is a 1990 unit. There was no indication that this was available *just* on older units (and what is that definition?).

I still have not got my appraisal letter with comps done yet. Will try to get that with *solds* done in the last year to support as comps. It cannot be just what people are asking for theirs (obviously you can ask what you want- but what it sells for should be market, esp for an average).

Any other ideas would be appreciated....

Steve in Sav'h
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

1991 25' Excella
Wapakoneta , Ohio
Allied Ins. is who I just bought a policy from for a reconditioned 1991 AS
hdjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
I have had an agreed upon value policy with Progressive for 6 years now. I just had to make a claim thanks to a tread separation tearing up the back quarter of my Airstream. My deductible was zero and the Progressive agent told the dealership to do whatever it takes to put things back to the way they were before the accident. I'm pleasantly surprised and pleased.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Progressive through USAA

I went through the USAA link to Progressive to receive a quote for a 2008 Safari SE 27FB I am purchasing. I received a quote for agreed value. I could not get an agreed value quote working directly on the Progressive site.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote