Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
BE AWARE, Insurance trying to get me! , need help!

I just incurred $19,000 dollars of hail damage on my 2004 16foot Bambi CCD and this is what the insurance is doing. They determined the actual cash value of the Bambi looking at Edumds listings and other sources like that which came to about $12,000 so they called it a total loss. Now the claim was sent to a total loss adjuster and he'll do further investigation on pricing. This is what will happen. He will determine the price of the Bambi, let's say he comes with a price of $20,000 (I paid $23,000 for it last year and put a good summer worth of work on it). Then he'll find what a salvage shop would give for the Bambi, probably about $11,000. The then they will deduct $11,000 from $20,000 = $9,000. If I decide to keep it they will only give me $9,000 to fix it and still call it a total loss which will go on my title as a salvaged vehicle. I will not be able to insure to it's full value and obviously not a great thing for resale. I spent two years finding this Bambi and I don't want to give it up, especially after all the work I did on it. My best option now is to find 2004 Bambis for sale with high prices to at least try to get the highest actual cash value and hopefully get as much as possible for it and do the major repair. I still have the issue of the salvaged title... Any idea what the best sources for finding Bambis for sale are? There are so few of them out there. Any other advise anyone can give me would be much appreciated!
Thanks a bunch!
Paolo
marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
That's how standard insurance works. It becomes a bit more tricky when you add in a low production, low turnover trailer/vehicle. I would not own an airstream without "agreed value" coverage.

I can't help you directly on finding prices paid for trailers like yours, you could try eBay and include "completed auctions", then maybe contact a couple of the biggest Airstream dealers, explain your need, and see if they will tell you what they have sold for recently ( if they have sold any that match yours).

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Hang in there!
I've been through this before. First, they try to low ball you and get the trailer for "Blue Book" value. Don't do it.
Next, they will try to stall you; call ever day until they will talk to you.
You need to get comperable values for 19' Bambi's. Check Ebay sold prices and shop all the dealers you can find. Print out the sold or asking prices to get a good value base. Once you can show the market value, they should pay off.
They are counting on you being to lazy to follow through. They want to save money too. It's all comes down to who is going to take the biggest loss, you or them.
If you get all this together and they still won't budge, then you have to call a lawyer. This is the last resort. If you have to sue you might win and still loose money.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Drop the claim, keep the rig, and put a sign on the back: PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN ALUMINUM HOUSES SHOULDN'T THROW ROCKS!
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote