Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Appraisal Guidance Needed

Anybody know anybody in the Atlanta area that can do an appraisal on our 'Stream? I just bought an Agreed Value Policy from Progressive for $11,000, which is just about what we have in it to date. Cost is going to be $130 per year if anybody is interested. I have receipts for the stated amount, my "Full Monte" thread and lots of pictures as evidence of the value.

I'm going to call the one-and-only Airstream dealer in the state on Monday and see if they can help. Problem is that it's a Camping World (the one that got flooded in last September's big rains here) and they have only been an Airstream dealer for about a year. From talking to the Progressive rep on the phone, it's sounds like they will allow us a lot of latitude when picking an appraiser, but I'm still waiting on the paperwork to read the fine print.

As always gang, thanks for the help.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
appraisal....?

I went to my Airstream shop/dealer and asked for a letter stating a replacement value to be used for my agreed value insurance with Progressive. The shop manager gladly had a secretary type it out...and he used my requested valuation which was reasonable..... Progressive accepted the valuation and I was on the road. There was never even a suggestion of charging me for this letter. You should not be charged either if you use a good source. Who says it has to be an Airstream dealer ? I would think a good RV shop would suffice. Progressive knows valuation on our Airstreams too.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
We did an agreed value with our insurance when we bought our A/S as well. We have increased the amount as we improved the trailer. The major cost being new axles. In talking with our agent I was concerned about the insurance company reneging on the agreed value if we had a total loss. His reply was that if you have receipts and the value you put on the trailer is in line with what you did to increase the value we should not have a problem. My main concern was the "sweat equity" in other words the value of the work my wife and I did ourselves that did not have a "receipt" but a definite value. He said to document that as well. If we replace upholstery, curtains, appliances we should make a note of the materials used as well as our time. If we have a history of all changes made it is pretty hard for the insurance company to argue with the value. Obviously you can't say that new curtains are worth $5000.00 when you can go out on the web and find them for $500.00. But if you place a reasonable value on improvements you should not have a problem.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I went to my Airstream shop/dealer and asked for a letter stating a replacement value to be used for my agreed value insurance with Progressive. The shop manager gladly had a secretary type it out...and he used my requested valuation which was reasonable..... Progressive accepted the valuation and I was on the road. There was never even a suggestion of charging me for this letter. You should not be charged either if you use a good source. Who says it has to be an Airstream dealer ? I would think a good RV shop would suffice. Progressive knows valuation on our Airstreams too.
Well that's the problem. There are no longer any RV dealerships/repair facilities in our county and the one AS dealer in the state may not be able to help. Although, as I said earlier, I haven't actually asked yet.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Are you referring to RBM OF ATLANTA in Alpharetta?

There's also Camping World in Woodstock.

Jeepers, wish we had a couple of AS dealer only about an hour and a bit away!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
As far as I know, Camping World is the only AS dealer in the state. RBM of Atlanta is a Mercedes dealer I think. Guess I better go do some surfin' and check on that. BTW, neither of these places is "close" by Atlanta standards. You'ld have to live here to understand what the traffic is like around here these days. Nightmare doesn't even begin to describe it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I mentioned them because RBM is listed on the Airstream Inc site as a dealer. In any event, you aren't looking to get work done, are you? Just an appraisal. Might be a good chance to check them out in case you ever do need work done...

One of my brothers lives in Duluth, GA. I know what you mean, it's busy. But so is Toronto, where I live. The fastest I can get to a dealer is well over three hours.

Thank goodness he is worth the drive (Can-Am RV)!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Now yer talkin'. If Can-Am was even that close, I'd make the drive in a heartbeat. The only "good" Airstream dealer within a decent distance (as in, about a one day drive) is Out-of-Doors Mart over in N. Carolina. I'd almost rather go there than fight thru Atlanta traffic. I suspect the reason RBM is listed is because of the Spinter B-van product. I will give 'em a call tho.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
OK, so I have a new twist to the "Grand Appraisal". The paperwork from Progressive got to me very late, as in over three weeks after I bought the policy (side issue really, tho). I was told when I bought the policy that an appraisal was needed within 30 days and the instructions would be with the paperwork. No such instructions were there. So, I got back on the phone with Progressive and was informed by customer agent number two that THEY didn't require an appraisal, that I might want to get one "to settle my own mind". So I guess the question now is for others out there that have agreed value policies written by Progressive.

What has been your experience with these guys? Have any of you been required to get a qualified appraisal when the policy was written? My plan at the moment is to wait another week or so and ask the question from the insurer again and see if I get yet another opinion on this. Sound like a plan?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

This is interesting....

I got an agreed on policy with Progressive and when I didn't get an appraisal to them they dropped me back to what I understand is the NADA value. This is maybe half or less of even today's market.

They sent me a check back for $17 (decrease in covered value) that I never cashed.

I called the Woodstock dealer asking for them to do an appraisal when I came through and they said they'd look up the NADA value and put it on their appraisal..... Well THANKS ALOT.....

So I tried several others including the S.C. and Fl dealers with the same results. This was last year.

Still want - need to get a real appraisal letter and send it in. I don't have an existing relationship with a local RV place and they wouldn't know these values anyway.

My approach was to go to the net and find as many 'solds' as I could -print that out- and take that to a regular appraiser and ask them to make a letter bases on that.

The only place that I found by calling was the dealer in Texas. Not planning to go 1200 miles just for that of course.

Steve in Savannah
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Thanks for the info Steve. As I recall form your posts, you have a MH from about 1990? The problem with my trailer is that it is 1973. There are no NADA values for that year Airstream. I have to establish a value based on other criterion. In this case, an appraisal. Kinda like somebody would value a '63 Corvette or a '65 Mustang.

I've only found one RV dealer around that would even appraise the thing....and this guy wants $175 and a week to do it. I have no problem paying somebody to do the work, especially since many of these guys are hanging on by the skin of their teeth these days, but....We are not quit finished with the restoration, I would prefer to wait until I'm about 90% finished, then do the appraisal if I have to pay for it. In other words, I don't want to have to pay every year the policy renews until we get to "real" value.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

I'm with you Jim on more finishing the work....

I have just converted my Excella from twins to queen and still have some work to do in the bedroom area. Specifically some shallow drawers/cubbys on the curb side below the window.

We are picking up a custom Original Mattress in a few weeks to put in there.

So when most is completed then I may do as I was mentioning above.

Steve
PS '90 Excella 25' Trailor
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
I just spoke to Progressive and as of April 15th they no longer offer Agreed Value policies for Trailers. Okay, now what? I need to get a policy asap.
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
There is one other source of "agreed value" insurance of which I am aware. That would be Farm and City; P.O. Box 248; Forest City, IA 50436. Phone: 1-800-331-1520 Website: rvadvantage.com

This company has been supporting rallies and advertising in the Airstream Club's Blue Beret publication each month trying to solicit Airstreamer's as customers. If Progressive will no longer offer "agreed value" insurance, then I will be switching my policy to Farm and City. Unless I can get an "agreed value" policy, I might as well go uninsured .
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956Safari View Post
I just spoke to Progressive and as of April 15th they no longer offer Agreed Value policies for Trailers. Okay, now what? I need to get a policy asap.
Look thru this insurance sub-forum at the different threads and you'll find several companies that offer this type of insurance. I needed the coverage right away as well, so just bought from the first company I found that offered it. Maybe next year I'll be shopping around, eh?

You also might want to call Progressive back and ask the question again. Both times that I've called about this, the agents I spoke with were unaware that Progressive offered this type of coverage until they checked with supervisors, etc.

Good luck in your search and let us know who you went with.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
FYI, i called progressive yesterday to get agreed value on the 62. they no longer offer this.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I walked into my local State Farm office a week ago and told them I wanted to insure my '69 Tradewind. My agent asked what it was worth. I quoted him $14,000 and he wrote a policy for it. $500 deductible and $111 a year premiums. No appraisal letters, no hassle, and he didn't bat an eye at the value I gave him. This was also done sight unseen, didn't even have to hitch up the truck.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I walked into my local State Farm office a week ago and told them I wanted to insure my '69 Tradewind. My agent asked what it was worth. I quoted him $14,000 and he wrote a policy for it. $500 deductible and $111 a year premiums. No appraisal letters, no hassle, and he didn't bat an eye at the value I gave him. This was also done sight unseen, didn't even have to hitch up the truck.
Same here with my State Farm guy.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #19
RV/Trailer Appraiser

Currently Looking...
Fort Pierce , Florida
Appraisals for Airstreams at St. Lucie Appraisal in Fort Pierce, FL

If you get down to Fort Pierce, Florida we'll appraise your Airstream - but not for free, of course. Do they have appraisers licenses in GA? Any licensed appraiser who knows RVs should be able to appraise your unit for about $250 unless it's really decked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
I got an agreed on policy with Progressive and when I didn't get an appraisal to them they dropped me back to what I understand is the NADA value. This is maybe half or less of even today's market.

They sent me a check back for $17 (decrease in covered value) that I never cashed.

I called the Woodstock dealer asking for them to do an appraisal when I came through and they said they'd look up the NADA value and put it on their appraisal..... Well THANKS ALOT.....

So I tried several others including the S.C. and Fl dealers with the same results. This was last year.

Still want - need to get a real appraisal letter and send it in. I don't have an existing relationship with a local RV place and they wouldn't know these values anyway.

My approach was to go to the net and find as many 'solds' as I could -print that out- and take that to a regular appraiser and ask them to make a letter bases on that.

The only place that I found by calling was the dealer in Texas. Not planning to go 1200 miles just for that of course.

Steve in Savannah
STLUCIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Met with a State Farm agent today and he has no clue. He says the trailer needs to be finished before he can insure it and it needs an appraisal. The nearest AS dealer to me is 4 hrs away. I can't find anyone wiling to take my money for an agreed value policy! This sucks.
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote