Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956Safari View Post
I just spoke to Progressive and as of April 15th they no longer offer Agreed Value policies for Trailers. Okay, now what? I need to get a policy asap.
Look thru this insurance sub-forum at the different threads and you'll find several companies that offer this type of insurance. I needed the coverage right away as well, so just bought from the first company I found that offered it. Maybe next year I'll be shopping around, eh?

You also might want to call Progressive back and ask the question again. Both times that I've called about this, the agents I spoke with were unaware that Progressive offered this type of coverage until they checked with supervisors, etc.

Good luck in your search and let us know who you went with.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
FYI, i called progressive yesterday to get agreed value on the 62. they no longer offer this.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I walked into my local State Farm office a week ago and told them I wanted to insure my '69 Tradewind. My agent asked what it was worth. I quoted him $14,000 and he wrote a policy for it. $500 deductible and $111 a year premiums. No appraisal letters, no hassle, and he didn't bat an eye at the value I gave him. This was also done sight unseen, didn't even have to hitch up the truck.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I walked into my local State Farm office a week ago and told them I wanted to insure my '69 Tradewind. My agent asked what it was worth. I quoted him $14,000 and he wrote a policy for it. $500 deductible and $111 a year premiums. No appraisal letters, no hassle, and he didn't bat an eye at the value I gave him. This was also done sight unseen, didn't even have to hitch up the truck.
Same here with my State Farm guy.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
RV/Trailer Appraiser

Currently Looking...
Fort Pierce , Florida
Appraisals for Airstreams at St. Lucie Appraisal in Fort Pierce, FL

If you get down to Fort Pierce, Florida we'll appraise your Airstream - but not for free, of course. Do they have appraisers licenses in GA? Any licensed appraiser who knows RVs should be able to appraise your unit for about $250 unless it's really decked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
I got an agreed on policy with Progressive and when I didn't get an appraisal to them they dropped me back to what I understand is the NADA value. This is maybe half or less of even today's market.

They sent me a check back for $17 (decrease in covered value) that I never cashed.

I called the Woodstock dealer asking for them to do an appraisal when I came through and they said they'd look up the NADA value and put it on their appraisal..... Well THANKS ALOT.....

So I tried several others including the S.C. and Fl dealers with the same results. This was last year.

Still want - need to get a real appraisal letter and send it in. I don't have an existing relationship with a local RV place and they wouldn't know these values anyway.

My approach was to go to the net and find as many 'solds' as I could -print that out- and take that to a regular appraiser and ask them to make a letter bases on that.

The only place that I found by calling was the dealer in Texas. Not planning to go 1200 miles just for that of course.

Steve in Savannah
Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Met with a State Farm agent today and he has no clue. He says the trailer needs to be finished before he can insure it and it needs an appraisal. The nearest AS dealer to me is 4 hrs away. I can't find anyone wiling to take my money for an agreed value policy! This sucks.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
Are you saying that if you experience a total loss that State Farm is going to write you a check for $14,000? My assumption, is that they are using the $14,000 figure to draw up a premium. That does not necessarily mean they will hand you that amount if there is a total loss however. I hope for your sake that is not the case, but I would strongly suggest talking to you agent in detail about this. My experience with State Farm, was that they will only figure what the coverage amount will be if there is an accident, at which point they will then figure what the fair market value is based on recent sales figures of comparable trailers. I have my policy with them, just until I can find an agree upon value policy. Up until this point, this has been impossible. I even had a local insurance broker looking into possible options and they came up empty. They thought Haggerty would insure me (they write a lot of agreed upon value policies for custom motorcycles and classsic cars that have no "book value"), but after talking to them they don't insure anything that can be lived in, so no RV insurance. If you have something like a custom motorcycle or car trailer they will insure that, as long as it doesn't have plumbing or a stove.

My experience is that Progressive no longer sells agreed upon value policies if you talk to them on the phone. However if you go online, you can buy one of these polices. I'm seriously considering taking my chances and getting a policy online with Progressive, because my State Farm policy will probably screw me if I even have minor damage, as they would probably just hand me the $1,400 NADA value this year, and next year when my AS is no longer listed in the NADA book (36 years old) they will give me even less.

I'm certainly with those that are frustrated, I'm in the same boat (or Land Yacht for that matter!). I've just requested a quote online from Farm and City, I will wait to see what they have to say.

-Eric
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Okay Eric, Lets keep this thread going since we all need help with this.
J
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
I filled in the form at RV Advantage and await their response. I'll also call Progressive next.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I've heard back from Farm and City, they will write an agreed upon policy for an AS! Requiremetns are that you have an appraisal performed by an appraiser or dealership, provide inside and outside photos, and have an underwriter at Farm and City approve the appraisal. Very exciting, this the first positive progress I've made concerning AS insurance.

GStephens- Thank you for the heads up on Farm and City! Also, I see you own an Angus Ranch. My grandparents own an Angus Ranch here in PA (since 1953), and they are who I purchased my AS from. Just thought that was coincidental.

-Eric
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have a new policy with Farm & City and trying to up the insured value of my AS. I had it insured for $35,000 but they dropped it to 33,500 because that was the price on the bill of sale. Since we did some updates like 2 Fantastic Fans, Street and rear we are trying to get back to the 35,000. Having to produce receipts and photos.

In case we haven't noticed, the insurance compaines have us by the "you know what".
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Okay in the fine copy of the Farm & City policy I received it says: (Agreed Value Policy) For vehicles purchased more than 2 years ago, support is an appraisal.
So, now where does one get an appraisal when the nearest AS dealer is 5 hrs away? I'm now on the hunt.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Anyone used The International Vehicle Appraisers Network (I-VAN)?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956Safari View Post
Anyone used The International Vehicle Appraisers Network (I-VAN)?
No, what do they do?