Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Bergen , New York
Appraisal & Cash Value ?'s for Insurance

We're getting ready to leave on our maiden voyage and we need insurance! I have spoken with our insurance agent and after much searching he only come up with 3 options:

1. insure with our current policy (couple hundred a year) for a value we determine. But when it comes time for a claim they will go to 3 local RV dealers to get the cash value. My hunch is that local RV dealers will not have a clue.

2. insure with Progressive (I think) but would require an appraisal upfront. How can I get a decent appraisal? Again, I don't think there is anyone locally the knows vintage AS values.

3. ask the Airstream Forum!

Any advice on appraisals etc. would be appreciated!

Molly
BambiII'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiII'64
We're getting ready to leave on our maiden voyage and we need insurance! I have spoken with our insurance agent and after much searching he only come up with 3 options:

1. insure with our current policy (couple hundred a year) for a value we determine. But when it comes time for a claim they will go to 3 local RV dealers to get the cash value. My hunch is that local RV dealers will not have a clue.

2. insure with Progressive (I think) but would require an appraisal upfront. How can I get a decent appraisal? Again, I don't think there is anyone locally the knows vintage AS values.

3. ask the Airstream Forum!

Any advice on appraisals etc. would be appreciated!

Molly
1 - Doesn't make sense. You & the insurance Company either agree on a value or not!

Maybe your agent is telling you that going to three RV dealers might be for quotes for damage repairs ... & somebody(??) picks one to use for indemnificatoin of you & your loss. One can only guess that this company does not have staff adjusters qualified to evaluate the actual cost of repairs for a specialty item like this.

Policies are either AGREED VALUE or ACV (actual cash value)

Either way . . . if the cost of repairs exceed the value - they will pay policy limits and may or may not keep the salvage (your trailer they just bought from you for the policy limits)

If there is a stated value (agreed value) then you know what cost in repairs (or total theft) will total it (policy limits)
If the policy does not state a specific value, then it is an ACV policy ... with an ACV policy (like all your non-classic or common car policies) ... believe me - your going to get the short end of the stick. You have to nail down the insurred value!

2 - Progressive (and others) will sell you an agreed value policy (the only kind of vintage Airstream policy to have) based on documented cost, such as: a bill of sale, sales tax receipt, or if your attempting to insure for a greater value than purchase, appraisal.

As you have encountered, this is difficult ... your best bet is getting an Airstream dealer to value it - on paper.

If you need to know about insurance and claims, look up 'DRIFTWOOD's profile and see if he has a phone # listed. He understands insurance & claims.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I agree. I am with Progressive for my 64 Safari. I did the ACV. They said they could use the bill of Sale, or check what other comparable units in similar condition have sold for to validate the value. I just don't trust what some "random" appraiser has to say about vintage Airstreams...
Old 06-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybean
I agree. I am with Progressive for my 64 Safari. I did the ACV. They said they could use the bill of Sale, or check what other comparable units in similar condition have sold for to validate the value. I just don't trust what some "random" appraiser has to say about vintage Airstreams...
I thought with an ACV policy you would be paid what some "random" appraiser came up with as a value. With the Agreed Value you know what that number will be.

I insured my trailer based upon what I paid for it (agreed value). I supplied my agent with the cash price and a few pictures for his files. When I added an awning to the unit I had the agent raise the value to cover most of the awning cost.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Find a company that understands vintage vehicles.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote