Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Any experience w/ Safeco Insurance?

Hi folks.

I have been on quite a journey searching for insurance for my '67 Caravel. I am looking for an agreed value policy. I have checked with Geico, Progressive, Sneed, State Farm and a few more.

I have my house and cars w/ State Farm. Love them, and I trust my agent. But after first thinking they could do an agreed value policy, the underwriter said NO. My agent told me to hang on to receipts and appraisal, but I am just not comfortable if I was to seek a claim after a catastrophe.

Geico didn't do agreed values. Sneed contrary to what is posted in some threads on the forums won’t do vintage trailers. Progressive does have agreed value policies, but the quote was more than 2x what I thought it should be (yep- verified it was annual vs. bi-annual). I have a good friend in town with a '65 Safari that appraised close to mine, and his premium w/ Progressive is less than 2x my quote! Very frustrating!

I contacted a local insurance broker who represents many different companies. He found a good rate on an agreed value policy with a company called Safeco. To get the rate I want on the a/s, the agent says I really need to insure my other vehicles with them as well. I am going to look into it, and find out what it is going to do to my multiline discounts with State Farm.

So- the question is does anyone on the forums have any good/ bad experiences with Safeco? My search of the forums only found about 2 or so threads with reference, but little info given. I would love to hear from someone who has been through the claims process with them. The question is to go with them (concerned that I don't know much about them), or should I stick with State Farm and pray that things go well if there is a major claim on the trailer knowing that I have expense log (receipts) on the renovations + a recent appraisal?

Any input/ experiences/ opinions on Safeco would be helpful.

Thanks!
-Modarch
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Modarch,
We have insured our home, two vehicles, and Airstream with Safeco for about 5 years. Was with USAA previously forever but putting all our stuff with Safeco saved us better than $1000 per year in premiums for the same coverage. They did write an agreed value policy on the Airstream.
We have not had a claim in those five years but every other experience (changes in coverage, questions, etc.) has been positive.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I've insured my business, trucks and cars with Safeco for more years than I care to admit. I've had great luck with them and have had a couple of claims, including a total on the wife's car. The mo/ho is insured with Foremost, who is a division of Safeco and I have had a 4k claim and two windshields replaced with no quibbles.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just verify with the underwriter, not the agent, that it is in fact an Agreed Value Policy. I have mine with Progressive, while my vehicles/home etc is with Nationwide. When I was first started looking for agreed value insurance 4 years ago, I was referred to Foremost and the agent told me it was an agreed value policy. I called the underwriter who said they called it agreed value BUT an adjuster would have to come out and make an appraisal. That is not agreed value. Agreed value is the stated value both you and the insurance company contractually agree on in the event of total loss. I have a friend who also has Progressvie agreed value who has someone hit his trailer in a parking lot last summer. The local AS dealer did the repairs and Progressive paid the bill, no problem.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I Like 'Em

I have everything insured through them. I originally changed to SAFECO because I was unhappy with my company and ended up saving money too. I don't know where they fit into fees these days but I have been happy with everything. Last winter I backed into a neighbor's car. I have lots of excuses for doing that, but none are very good. SAFECO took care of the repair and gave me a pass on my deductible. Both of my daughters had accidents and SAFECO never raised our rates. A good company to deal with in my opinion.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Thanks all for the input. I appreciate it. Now I have a big decision to make!
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Big difference between paying for repairs and agreed value for total loss. Most reputable companies will pay for repairs. Do not accept the agent's assurance that you will be covered in the event of a total loss just because you have other property insured with them and have had good experiences. Verify as I did with the underwriter!!! The biggest risk is if you have an older Airstream and you have invested a good bit of money, as I have in mine, the "book value" is no where near what I have invested or could get for it on the open market.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
We have been very pleased with Safeco. This summer I did some (bad) body damage to our Design Within Reach trailer. Safeco was professional, take-charge, thorough, and no-hassle from beginning to end. I was ready for the claim and the process to be a nightmare like so many interactions these days are...but we just got the Airstream back, fixed good as new, and the repair shop handled all the details with Safeco, no trouble at all.
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I have had Safeco Ins. for my home over ten years. I had a backfire of my furnace,
they came to my rescue to the tune of five figures in cleaning my home. Highly recommend the service and quickness of their staff. Cars or RV'S, I don't know,
But I will now pursue that, since I am new to the AS RV family. I like them.

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a current agreed value policy through State Farm and I know other vintage owners do also. I gather it's fairly unusual in mainstream underwriter circles to insure a vintage trailer and they don't know what to do with it. For some dumb reason they wanted to know what the new price was. Progressive asked me for a statement of value from an Airstream dealer. With a little persistance and an appraisal from Polk Associates (forum member) I got the State Farm policy.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Safeco Rates to Go Up

After reading the first 10 posts here where about half of those posting had Safeco and had numerous claims, Safeco rates are bound to go up. All they do is pay claims. Just an observation...weird.

Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote