Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Airstream insurance company recommendations

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are picking up our first Airstream from a private seller next week (2015 Flying Cloud 25 Twin). I wanted to see which insurance companies you experienced Airstreamers would recommended. My current home/auto insurance company does not offer RV/Airstream insurance coverage. Rather than taking a chance by blindly picking one online, I thought it best to ask all of you folks if there are companies you'd recommend for insuring Airstreams. Thank you all in advance.
D2LLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2LLIO View Post
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are picking up our first Airstream from a private seller next week (2015 Flying Cloud 25 Twin). I wanted to see which insurance companies you experienced Airstreamers would recommended. My current home/auto insurance company does not offer RV/Airstream insurance coverage. Rather than taking a chance by blindly picking one online, I thought it best to ask all of you folks if there are companies you'd recommend for insuring Airstreams. Thank you all in advance.
State Farm and Progressive are both very good.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are picking up our first Airstream from a private seller next week (2015 Flying Cloud 25 Twin). I wanted to see which insurance companies you experienced Airstreamers would recommended. My current home/auto insurance company does not offer RV/Airstream insurance coverage. Rather than taking a chance by blindly picking one online, I thought it best to ask all of you folks if there are companies you'd recommend for insuring Airstreams.
Our recommendations would be meaningless unless we live in Texas as you do. Insurance varies by state, even for nationwide insurance companies. So the best for any one of us might not be the best for you.

Don't blindly pick one. But don't take our word for which is best, either. We can recommend agencies to contact, but only you can get your own quotes and only you can pick the one you like best.

Three things to look for:
1 - Discounts. Ask every company about every discount the offer. Good Sam. AARP. Multi-vehicle. Whatever. If you don't ask about it they may not offer it to you.
2 - Total Replacement coverage. For a new RV, you can often get complete replacement in the first five years, meaning that if it's totaled, they buy you a new one and call it even. After five years it would switch to agreed value, at a value equal to what you paid, not including TTL.
3 - Contents rider. Estimate how much money you will put into the things you carry on your trips, and make sure contents coverage matches that value. Covers everything not permanently attached, such as laptop computers.

Here in Louisiana, I insure both of my vehicles with Progressive, because Progressive's already reasonable RV insurance was made even more reasonable with a multi-vehicle discount.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Explorer is a very well know & respected company in the RV world. They are nationwide and RV experienced in all kinds of rigs. I use them here in Florida and have had claim experience with them, they took care of my claim quickly and efficiently.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I used Foremost for my vintage Airstream and currently have Progressive for the 2006. Never filed a claim so nothing negative to say about either.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Smile Thank you ALL

OK guys, thanks a lot. That narrows down the field and my focus. I appreciate it.
D2LLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
FCIS is an insurance broker which is knowledgable about RVs. I secured my Allied policy through them.

As a sidenote, when I was getting quotes from another company and told them I had an Airstream, they asked me if I was going to use it to haul horses.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Insurance

Progressive-they were very good and quick about our recent hail damage.
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Hi everyone,
We are 43-year USAA members for all our insurance needs, but they partner with Progressive for our Airstream and motorcycle insurance coverage. I owned my Airstream 3 days last year and due to a painful early learning curve submitted a substantial claim to Progressive. They were fantastic to deal with and settled everything without difficulty.

As others have said, you should evaluate your options carefully. This is just my experience.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
My recommendation would be to do what we did: go with Good Sam, who did the research for us as appropriate for the state we live in, and got us a suitable discount. We ended up with National General and so far I'm happy.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Agent Ron Jarvie was recommended to me by another Air Forums member and I use him. Much, much simpler going through an agent.

Overland Insurance Services
480-994-9584 or 800-677-4027
ron@rvins.com
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Agent Ron Jarvie was recommended to me by another Air Forums member and I use him. Much, much simpler going through an agent.

Overland Insurance Services
480-994-9584 or 800-677-4027
ron@rvins.com
Sorry - I meant much, much simpler than going through insurance companies directly, which is what I tried at first with very limited success in getting good advice or a good deal.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Safeco works good for me....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
I'm in Texas and I have, National General Insurance
But.... I have never filed a claim.
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
AS Insurance

Our 25' AS Safari SS was sideswiped on the highway last year. $15,000 in damage. Progressive let us choose the repair company (Timeless Travel Trailers) and didn't raise our rates. (BTW- Good Sam recommended Progressive to us as a company that will offer insurance based upon agreed value with an appraisal.)
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
I live just down the road from you and have my home, car, truck plus my 1977 AS insured by Liberty Mutual. You can't beat there price or service......bet you a dollar to a donut. Give Christine Hewett of New Braunfels, TX a call at 1 (830) 387-7135. No I don't work for Liberty Mutual and have never met the lady.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #17
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Try Charles at www.americas-mailbox.com They represent multiple companies and can offer several choices. Service is solid and the quotes beat many of the more common names that advertise or you may hear about. I'd say it's the cost of a phone call but we don't pay long distance any more
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
1983 31' International
1976 31' Sovereign
Murphy , Texas
I have my Airstream insured under my auto policy with State Farm. I just suffered major hail damage and the insurance representatives are quite good and willing to provide advice since Airstream is a different "breed". You might check with your auto insurer. Our local Airstream repair in Dallas, North Dallas RV, is quite familiar with insurance estimating and working with the different companies. You might want to check with your local Airstream dealer/service center. Good luck.
Prairiestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I posted a long thread just over a year ago researching this to the hilt. It is not as much what company you get but rather the type of policy that matters. On a newer unit like a 2015 you can get replacement policy for a few more years- they replace it basically. The next step down is agreed value policy then a standard run of the mill policy that depreciates the value based solely on NADA RV value.

I would caution several posters as I had Sams National General, Met Life (attached to auto- cheapest) and then finally Allied. My research found that only three companies wrote agreed policies ( I believe they were Overland, Blue Sky and Allied) and everything else was depreciating AND IT COSTS about the SAME but with a BIG difference. Take a look at the NADA values on Airstreams after about 5-10 years. Compare that to the market value and you will see quite a difference. Just remember, that regular policies only have to pay wholesale value or up to NADA. Fixing bumps, etc will vary based on agents and companies but what happens if totaled was my question to every company I called.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I posted a long thread just over a year ago researching this to the hilt.
. . . .
This may be the thread you mean?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...-130237-5.html

Thank you for your research and comments.

Peter

PS -- The insurance sub-forum lists a few similar threads for everyone's information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote