Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
AS Insurance

Our 25' AS Safari SS was sideswiped on the highway last year. $15,000 in damage. Progressive let us choose the repair company (Timeless Travel Trailers) and didn't raise our rates. (BTW- Good Sam recommended Progressive to us as a company that will offer insurance based upon agreed value with an appraisal.)

Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
I live just down the road from you and have my home, car, truck plus my 1977 AS insured by Liberty Mutual. You can't beat there price or service......bet you a dollar to a donut. Give Christine Hewett of New Braunfels, TX a call at 1 (830) 387-7135. No I don't work for Liberty Mutual and have never met the lady.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Try Charles at www.americas-mailbox.com They represent multiple companies and can offer several choices. Service is solid and the quotes beat many of the more common names that advertise or you may hear about. I'd say it's the cost of a phone call but we don't pay long distance any more
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
1992 34' Excella
1976 31' Sovereign
Murphy , Texas
I have my Airstream insured under my auto policy with State Farm. I just suffered major hail damage and the insurance representatives are quite good and willing to provide advice since Airstream is a different "breed". You might check with your auto insurer. Our local Airstream repair in Dallas, North Dallas RV, is quite familiar with insurance estimating and working with the different companies. You might want to check with your local Airstream dealer/service center. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I posted a long thread just over a year ago researching this to the hilt. It is not as much what company you get but rather the type of policy that matters. On a newer unit like a 2015 you can get replacement policy for a few more years- they replace it basically. The next step down is agreed value policy then a standard run of the mill policy that depreciates the value based solely on NADA RV value.

I would caution several posters as I had Sams National General, Met Life (attached to auto- cheapest) and then finally Allied. My research found that only three companies wrote agreed policies ( I believe they were Overland, Blue Sky and Allied) and everything else was depreciating AND IT COSTS about the SAME but with a BIG difference. Take a look at the NADA values on Airstreams after about 5-10 years. Compare that to the market value and you will see quite a difference. Just remember, that regular policies only have to pay wholesale value or up to NADA. Fixing bumps, etc will vary based on agents and companies but what happens if totaled was my question to every company I called.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I posted a long thread just over a year ago researching this to the hilt.
. . . .
This may be the thread you mean?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...-130237-5.html

Thank you for your research and comments.

Peter

PS -- The insurance sub-forum lists a few similar threads for everyone's information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351/
Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
BTW- Good Sam recommended Progressive to us as a company that will offer insurance based upon agreed value with an appraisal.
Progressive WILL offer agreed value in come situations but it does not include total loss replacement as per their representative and is capped at 125% of whatever current market value is at the time of total loss. Again, the details are tough to nail down and can be different state to state, etc.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Progressive WILL offer agreed value in come situations but it does not include total loss replacement as per their representative and is capped at 125% of whatever current market value is at the time of total loss. Again, the details are tough to nail down and can be different state to state, etc.
We have an agreed value policy with Progressive and the agreed value is the purchase price, and that number will not reduce over time (which is a good thing, because we keep upfitting).

I believe that is only an option if one insures with Progressive within 24 months of initial purchase (new or used - ours was used). And this is a Texas policy - it may vary from state to state.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
vintage airstream insurance ?

My current insurer wouldn't up my initial purchase price coverage without an official valuation, I was going to use James Polk but he's unavailable until Sept and need this before then ! Any suggestions for an alternative insurer or someone who provides valuations much appreciated
Old 05-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Progressive.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Any body have Foremost Ins. for vintage AS & comments, plus or minus. Foremost has been recommended by agent friend for agreed value for my vintage AS and prem. is reasonable. My present Ins. will only do appraised value thru local body shop owner that does appraisals for cars and trucks for my area. Ins. co. stated they have never written agreed value For AS and will not use any other appraiser for value. I have been with this INS CO and agent for many yrs. and they will not budge from this policy of appraisals. Time to change Ins. co. as coverage only ACV NADA book.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
@OTRA15, Yes that is the thread

Shop around. Have questions ready like, "three years from now if i have a bad wreck and the Airstream is totaled, how is total loss determined and how would value be determined? Are interior items covered in loss or just exterior repair, how?" Things like that. It is amazing what questions uncover. If you hear NADA- run away.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Also, very important to read the policy, not just rely of what the agent/rep tells you. An unscrupulous or uneducated agent will tell you anything to make the sale. A good agent will take the time to go over the policy details to make sure you understand any limitations or exclusions. I've been an agent for over 30 years and have seen my share of both.

Most policies are written on an ACV (Actual Cash Value) basis, which is the cost of repairs or replacement LESS depreciation.

Beware of Stated Amount policies, they are really nothing more than ACV policies with a maximum limit (the Stated Amount Limit) that will be paid in the event of a loss.

The best is an Agreed Value or Guaranteed Value policy. You and the insurance company agree on a value before the policy is issued. You will probably have to submit an appraisal and possibly photos of the interior and exterior. In the event of a total loss, you will receive the Agreed Value set when the policy was written. It's also important to check the policy to see how a partial loss will be settled. The policy should specify if a partial loss will be settled on a replacement cost or actual cost basis.

Policies may also restrict coverage on awnings and items that are not factory installed.

Bottom line, it very important to do this research up front, before a claim. Insurance companies often get a bad rap but in many cases, the consumer hasn't done their due diligence to determine how a policy will pay a claim before the claim happens.

Happy insurance shopping!
Old 09-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Any body have Foremost Ins. for vintage AS & comments, plus or minus. Foremost has been recommended by agent friend for agreed value for my vintage AS and prem. is reasonable. My present Ins. will only do appraised value thru local body shop owner that does appraisals for cars and trucks for my area. Ins. co. stated they have never written agreed value For AS and will not use any other appraiser for value. I have been with this INS CO and agent for many yrs. and they will not budge from this policy of appraisals. Time to change Ins. co. as coverage only ACV NADA book.

I had agreed value insurance on my Bambi II thru Foremost. No appraisals or photos were required to write the policy. Price was reasonable and their phone CS was very good.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote