Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Agreed Value Policy Oregon

Hey Folks

Has anyone in Oregon found an Agreed Value Police issuer ? I am having a very hard time finding an Agreed Value Policy in Oregon. After a year of working (still going) on my 1973 Tradewind doing it the rightest way I know how ( frame up) spending a bunch of money it is very disappointed to be having such problems. It seems the few usual companies that issue policies in other states don't here in Oregon

Anyway any advice would be appreciated.

Also, anyone know of vintage Airstream appraisers in Oregon or Northern Cal Or SouthWest Washington?

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Im not in Oregon but insured my trailer with Progressive. Very easy to work with and insured my trailer for more than purchase price based on the custom features etc. Also you might want to contact Lynda here:
Greater Los Angeles Airstream Club
I believe her husband appraises trailers. We will be in Oregon for the Alumafandango in October.
Hope that helps.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
oops Alumafandango is in September...
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for the information. Which state matters and Progressive was a no go.
Any one got such a policy in Oregon?

Thanks
Tony
Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I had an estate appraiser do the appraisal for my trailer. I looked up comps for him, and he did a nice official write-up for the insurance company. Of course he knew nothing about trailers himself, just that mine looked nice, and that the comps looked similar, but it still worked out fine. Unfortunately we also used Proressive, though we got it through AAA.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
M

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had my trailer appraised by James Polk & got an Agreed Value policy through Nationwide, cause they're on my side! Obviously, they're nationwide.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Tony, call Miller Insurance 1800-622-6347 in Lake Oswego,Or. Ask for Marlene. She has helped with two airstreams and a Prevost to be insured as "Agreed Value" thru Appraiser Mark Koch.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for the leads It gives me hope.

Also that Alumafandango is only an hour or so away from me. I just may have the Tradewind up and running by then. That will allow me a couple more missed deadlines. I will say they have been unrealistic.

Any other leads are still welcomed so please chime in.

Thank you so much

Tony
Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Tony-
I had no problem getting insurance through Farmers. I have my vehicles insured there and asked my agent for insurance on my two trailers. He came out to my place, took photos, asked me what value I wanted on the trailers, then wrote up an addition to my auto insurance policies. The premium is quite reasonable.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Hi Sam

I am with Farmers now. They are who I have been with for 35 years. It is currently insured for what I paid 3 years ago. The impression she gave me is at that time, to them with old trailers (not vintage) they all need work so what I do to it was just what is required for continued use. It doesn't really raise the value. The truth is because of that I went to my other insurer who is a broker who can and is searching far and wide. Monday I will call Farmers and keep my fingers crossed.

Tony
Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Hi Sam
The impression she gave me is at that time, to them with old trailers (not vintage) they all need work so what I do to it was just what they is required for continued use. It doesn't really raise the value.
That is the same line I got from my State Farm agent. The argument I gave her was that even if I got a good deal on my trailer, I am insuring it so that if it is destroyed I can replace it with one of similar condition, and that means insuring it for market value. I don't understand why that is an issue for them, but it drove me to another carrier for my insurance, because there is no way I was going to just trust them to get comps and do the right thing if anything ever happened - which is what she suggested I do!

I bought my trailer for $6k ten years ago, but certainly no one would pretend that all the work I did to it (replacing the floor, appliances, and repairing other systems) did not increase the value of it. Purchasing one in similar condition would cost me at least $15k today. I believe my insurance on it is currently $13k, so I have been thinking I should get it reappraised sometime.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Tony-
I also found it difficult to obtain an Agreed Value policy. I purchased my coverage from Farm & City Insurance Services in Forest City, Iowa. The insurance is issued by Allied, a subsidiary of Nationwide. They required an appraisal, which was done by Specialty Vehicle Appraisal of Vancouver, WA.
The process was painless and I'm happy with the end result.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also went with Farm & City. Their police language is more clear and accurate, IMO, than others. They accepted an appraisal from my AS Dealer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Most insurance companies value our airstreams following Kelly bluebook, NADA guides, which are just that, guides. Our Prevost was converted by Beaver Coach, along with 32 other Prevost shells. Few people know Beaver Coach in Bend Oregon did a run of conversions. Surprisingly, the bus is listed in the Beaver motorhome section of NADA, under valued like airstreams. So, for our airstreams including the '06 Bambi Quik Silver, we had to get it appraised for "agreed value" for what the market says, since NADA figure was way-out-of-line low.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
It sounds like it is a pain but can be done. It got to the point where my insurance guy ( not Farmers) said to me if you get some leads let me know.

Thanks for the leads and again keep them coming It is a numbers game.

Tony
Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I am dealing with this now on my Caravel. I will need an appraiser and will get agreed value. I called Blue Sky and FCIS, both of which require appraisals before they can offer agreed value. I need to find an appraiser now.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks all

I am letting my agent do his thing and then I am going to make some calls on my own based on your suggestions.

One problem I may have is my restoration is not complete( as if they ever are) but I need to take it on the road soon and have the propane ran. That is something I don't want to do with out proper insurance.

Anyway I will post of my results for others.

again many thanks and if there are more suggestion I still would like to hear them. It appears others would to.

I was going to build a 20' boat next but these type of insurance problems happen with the "home made" boats. The companies don't want to insure them but if I sell it and buy it back then they will, or so I have been told.

Tony