Old 10-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
An agreed upon value policy still requires that you "agree" to the value of the trailer. Actual Cash Value policies can be the same. The majority of folks out there will take the company's first offer and be done with it. If you challenge them, you end up trying to "agree" upon a workable value.
Not according to my policy aftermath. The agreement part is up front. The policy reads that the agreed value is my sales receipt value of $xxxxxx and the same value is spelled out to be paid in loss. The next question I asked the agent is, "how long is the agreed value policy good for?" I was told that it was good for as many years as I kept the policy. So, the idea IMO is to insure the value of older or vintage items that are valued regardless of the common depreciation as in the case of NADA. The market is set up to zero out most RVs at 20 years regardless of MSRP or condition.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just heard back from FCIS. They want $647 for agreed value on my Safari. That is double my current policy with Progressive.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
An agreed upon value policy still requires that you "agree" to the value of the trailer. Actual Cash Value policies can be the same. The majority of folks out there will take the company's first offer and be done with it. If you challenge them, you end up trying to "agree" upon a workable value.

I might be missing something here but that it the way I think it works.
You are missing something here. With an Agreed Value policy, you and the insurance company agreed in advance on the value of the trailer, and if it's totaled, that's what they pay.

It's like a life insurance policy. Suppose you have a $100,000 life insurance policy. If you die, does the company negotiate with the beneficiary over how much your life was actually worth (allowing for depreciation, etc. ) or how much it will cost to replace you? No, they just write a check for $100,000.

This can cut both ways. A long time ago, my stepdad had Agreed Value coverage on a vintage sports car that he owned. One day he totaled it, and the company paid the agreed value. Unfortunately between the time he had insured it and the time it was wrecked, its value had gone up a lot, and he got significantly less than the actual market value of the car.

So if you have Agreed Value insurance it might pay to follow the market and get your vehicle re-appraised for more coverage it the value goes up significantly.