Old 05-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
Funkill, I just got off the phone with Progressive and I do have an agreed upon value for my vintage 76 AS for $8000. They specifically stated a few things:

1. That number means nothing. The actual value would be based on "current market value". I could easily see an AS being compared to a 40 year old white box and getting about $10 for it.
2. They stated getting an appraisal from an RV dealership or repair place, on letterhead and official looking.
3. They then stated that if my appraisal is greater than the current agreed value, I'll need to send that paperwork in to prove it. They made it seem like that would be the value we then went with in the event of a major disaster that totaled the AS.
4. Finally, they stated they knew nothing of agreed value going away on Progressive insurance plans.

I've got the "full-timer" package which also entitles me to coverage in Mexico, $1000 to pay any fire department bills that may be incurred, $7500 that can be used for a hotel room, etc. if we can no longer live in the AS, and an additional $5000 replacement cost.

So, after speaking with them, I'd recommend Progressive in a minute. That said, I've never had a claim with them so don't know what would happen in reality.
I should have responded back with my update as well. What I later found is that when I moved to NV, they inadvertently changed my policy to "replacement value" and I never noticed. Then when I moved to MD, they couldn't add the "agreed value". After some negotiations, they finally agreed to reinstate my NV policy as Agreed Value and then 30 days later I changed to a MD policy with the same Agreed Value ($10K). They agreed to do this since I had all my original paperwork, including faxes, showing that I always intended to have the agreed value and because I never missed an installment or let the policy lapse.

I did make a claim when I was in FL (under Agreed Value) and they promptly provided me a check for repairs on the spot. I don't remember the total off hand but think it was in the range of $3K. My premium did not increase afterward nor did they suggest I'd be dropped!!!

Hope the positive service with Progressive continues.

Laura

Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Not sure if anyone is keeping up with this post but I retract my "I'd recommend Progressive in a minute" statement. I recently had a claim and they refused to pay for frame damage caused by smashing the backend off of a speed hump in Boulder, CO, stating that it can't be proven that the damage was not from wear and tear. I've had two Les Schwabs who did brake & tire work for us recently confirm they saw no damage and another frame shop state that the frame was bent upward, and though they can't confirm that it is from impact or not, why would "wear and tear" result in an upward bend and not just sagging?

Complete details here if anyone's interested in reading the minutiae: Negative Review of Progressive RV Insurance and "Full-timers Package"

Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
We were able to get an agreed value policy through Nationwide for our 79.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
I got an insurance quote via FCIS. I thought they were an insurance company (and maybe they are), but the agent stated the only company that would insure me for agreed value was Progressive because I do not store my Airstream inside an enclosed structure or garage. Instead, it is stored outdoors, but inside a fenced and locked RV storage lot.

So, if I want agreed value it appears the only company available is Progressive. Their premium would be $497/yr. which is three times the premium for actual cash value coverage I have through Hartford. I'm hesitating going with Progressive because I'm not sure if they are reliable and I'm confused that the quote came via FCIS.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
You might try Blue Sky. I am looking at them now. Their rates seem reasonable and I just got a quote over the phone. They didn't ask me if mine was garaged, at least not yet for the quote. I now have to get an appraisal. I'll report back what I find out.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #20

1976 31' Sovereign
Blue Sky will only insure newer Airstreams, FYI. A friend of mine has them and after their trailer went rolling down a hill (my friend's fault apparently, and admittedly), they took care of everything and paid out a ton to get everything fixed.

I currently have Good Sam and they did agree the same "agreed upon value" as Progressive. I still need to get an official appraisal but was told by Good Sam that we were all set with the agreed value.

I've learned the hard way though that "was told by" doesn't mean much...
Old 08-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Blue Sky will insure older trailers, but to get Agreed Value you have to supply them with an appraisal. I have just gotten an appraisal and will be contacting Blue Sky for final confirmation in the next few days.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
I did get quotes through insurance broker Blue Sky, but none of the quotes could be for agreed value unless the trailer is stored indoors. Mine is in an open RV lot and only Progressive is willing to insure for agreed value when stored in the open. This might be because I am in Colorado and hail is a greater risk here than just about anywhere else. So, could be different for folks in other states. I ended up with Progressive after getting quotes from two different people at FCIS. The quotes were for the same exact coverage, but the premiums were different. The higher premium quote came from the manager. It pays to get several quotes even if they are all for just one insurance company.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I just got off the phone and the insurance is now binding through Blue Sky. They didn't ask if the trailer will be indoors. The only question like that was is the trailer secured with a security devise? I have a tongue lock, wheel hub locks and a Rack'em wheel lock installed. That's what I am calling security devises and they didn't ask what type. I will probably eventually build a carport or garage for her, but for now she is in the driveway with her security devises attached, but behind the house out of sight from the street.

I did have to call Blue Sky to get a quote, because their website doesn't go back far enough for a 65. I woke with Rachel from their Ohio office. She was very nice and quick.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
"worked" with Rachel. I woke with my wife!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #25

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
Blue Sky will insure older trailers, but to get Agreed Value you have to supply them with an appraisal. I have just gotten an appraisal and will be contacting Blue Sky for final confirmation in the next few days.
Hmm, sounds like whoever you get on the phone will say something different. What year is yours Jewel?

I was specifically told (in July 2014) that they did not insure trailers of a certain age at all. Ours is a 1976.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Click,
Mine is a 1965. They will insure for older trailers for agreed value. Agreed value means a value that both you and the insurance company agree on. In order to do that you will have to get an appraisal and submit that appraisal to them. Call them again and ask about agreed value for your trailer.