Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
We have Good Sam. It covers all our vehicles and RV. Yes, we get a lot of junk mail but our experience with GS has been positive. Had a flat tire on the Airstream. We called GS and they advised us that a mechanic would be there in 30 minutes. GS called back in 35 minutes to make sure the mechanic had arrived. Service was timely and efficient.

Our traveling friend had tow vehicle problems. He had to hike a huge hill to get phone reception only to be told by AAA that their office didn't service that respective district. AAA gave our friend another number for AAA to call. Good thing his phone was charged and his call wasn't dropped.

Have stayed with Good Sam.

TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Northport , Alabama
Good Sam Experience "VERY GOOD"

I have had GS for about 6 years now. Had some fuel System problems in "GA" and in "AL". Called GS was out in the middle of no where - It did take some time for them to get a large enough wrecker to me. But they loaded me up and delivered me to a RV certified mech. I have had AAA also but not with an RV. They where always pretty good too.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
We have used Good Sam several times over the years. They always came and found us. Once when there was no one in their local directory they contacted a shop to come get us. That's great service.

I do not receive much email from them. Make sure you check the boxes that say you do not want to be contacted.

After ensuring that mail is not a renewal I toss it.

There are worse things than junk mail.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
AAA are “regional clubs” and may/may not offer RV service in a “region” regardless of which policy you have with them.
Example; AAA New England offers no RV coverage of any kind. If you are travelling in New England, and need service for your RV plus TV…you will be out of luck. They will, of course, come get your TV…but your AS will sit where it is. This is not easy info to find in their literature, call your “regional’ office and ask. I was with AAA for many years and assumed I had coverage.....

BillTex's experience is nearly identical to mine. It took me quite a bit of research to find this out. After contacting AAA on a local, regional, and national level, I found the levels of coverage varied depending on location. I had AAA RV Plus for several years before I switched to Good Sam for this reason. Each has their advantages, but if you do a lot of traveling, this is something you may want to consider.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
We have Good Sam ERS for the motorhome. The one time we needed them for battery problems (my fault) they were very timely and had us back on the road fast from a rest area in the middle of nowhere.

As far as junk mail we use to recieve a lot from them and I simply called and requested 'no mailings' and that put an end to it.

Never tried AAA.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
if you fly into a city somewhere away from home, and rent a car for a week, does Good Sam cover you for any part of that?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all, both AAA (really a marketing organization) and GS (insurance, retail, RV books) are not primarily a towing organization.

AAA is good for maps and tour and camping books, not much else because they have lots of restrictions about towing. We have the most basic plan and only for one of us. That saves $$. Maps and books from other sources would cost more for all the traveling we do.

Generally GS gets very good reviews for towing to where you need it. Too much junk mail and it gets tossed. We heard stories on the Alaska Hwy of GS towing people hundreds and hundreds of miles to get them to a place where their vehicle could be fixed with no complaints or charges.

We have never had to use GS and haven't had anything towed by AAA for 20 years.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Round Rock , Texas
I'm feeling better and better that we opted for Good Sam. We hit the road in mid-August and I used Good Sam to route our trip and select and book our campsites. I'm a "special needs" traveler so I need advance planning and reservations that accomodate my circumstances. So far it's all been good from Good Sam and from the camp sites we have contacted.

I hope to be able to report that we did not need any of the Good Sam emergency services at all. If we do need anything, I will let you know the results.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
if you fly into a city somewhere away from home, and rent a car for a week, does Good Sam cover you for any part of that?
Why would you need ERS for a rental?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #24
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
My regular auto insurance covers me for that ( I assume you are referring to liability and collision, right?) If you are referring to road service, I'd call the rental agent.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
so.....nobody knows, I guess.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #26

2004 25' Safari
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie View Post
I'm almost sorry I signed up for Good Sam after getting WAY too many emails and snail mail ads, but their roadside assistance program looks pretty good compared to AAA. Anyone ever use either, or have any personal experience with Good Sam roadside assistance?

Cheers,
Tom
I was receiving those emails and mail ads from Good Sam. I finally called them up and asked them politely to discontinue the mailings as I was aware of their offerings and was not interested at this time. The operator readily agreed and in a few weeks almost all mailings ceased and have not returned.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
We have had both , I do hate the GS junk mails , but have never needed either , knock on wood
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #28
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
so.....nobody knows, I guess.
Still don't know what your question is. What type of coverage are you asking about? If you are asking about emergency road service, yes - Good Sam will help me out. But - if I had a rental car, I'd expect the rental agent to come and get me with a replacement car. Neither Good Sam, AAA or anyone except family will do that.

Sorry - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote