Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
Rv Finance Question

Anyone have any suggestions on who to go through to finance an TT? My bank was no help(Wells Fargo, rate and payment too high). Purchasing from a Private Party.
gc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Do you belong to a credit union??
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

No, not at all.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Most dealers have financing avail though multiple sources. If you are not going through a dealer, I would think some banks might be able to help, if not know places.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you have a broker, they may have something. For a short time I used a Home Equity Line of Credit with my broker's bank. They paid all the closing costs and I got a free appraisal. The rate was very low and by not selling any stocks, I made more money on dividends than I was paying in interest and got a tax deduction for mortgage interest. Of course, the stocks are in the trash barrel now, but I have an Airstream. When I added 5 acres to my land, they wanted me to pay for a new title policy plus other expenses, so I paid it off. Too bad, brokerage house. By being dumb they lost money and I made some.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
If you can't write'em a check - do without. My Golden Rule - If you can't pay cash for it you don't need it. Makes life a lot more pleasant.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I could write them a check, but why should I? Don't own a home, I rent.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you can write the check you save lots in interest payments, but then again, if you float it, you can write off the interest as a second home.

Call Thor credit and see what they say. 1-800-554-8467. Not sure they are the one's that make the call, but they may be able to put you in touch with someplace within or externally.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
I could write them a check, but why should I? Don't own a home, I rent.
RATES ARE TOO HIGH! At present the best (or least shaky) bank in town is paying 2.55% interest on a FDIC insured savings account, and maybe 4% on a bigger CD. If you want to borrow anything, try to find it for less than credit card rates - even if it's secured. A loan secured by a vehicle or RV? Well, you know what your BANK offered you. Welcome to 1929 all over again.

Buy the Airstream with cash. Live in it for a year, assuming you can find a membership campground that's open year round and has reasonable rates, and it will pay for itself! That's what I did almost 4 years ago. My annual cost to live is about 1/4 what most homeowners or renters have.

Oh, by the way, my old "Sewer Solution" is starting to show fatigue cracks on the plastic. The 20 ft of hose though is still good, so when I replace it, the cost will be a bit north of $100 and I'll have a max 30 ft run. I still remember replacing the sewer line in the "money pit" house - to the tune of $1400 - over 10 years ago! I also don't work up a sweat mowing the lawn every saturday or have to directly pay someone to do it.

Reality sucks, but it's the only place to be.

Paula
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Since you said private party I assume you are talking used. The banks will charge high rates and give you a short term on anything used except a stick-built home. A credit union or bank will probably give you $10K-$15K for 5 years max. For the monthly payments you can get a new Flying Cloud for just longer term.

Pay cash if you have it and it least that way no one can take it away from you and when that Great Depression hits again as the White House is promising you will have the highest standard of living of any homeless person in your community. The Grapes of Wrath never had it so good.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Almost sounds like I am better off with a new one.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Almost sounds like I am better off with a new one.
Only you can answer that.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
talked to a rep at the hershey pa rv show a couple years ago that gave me a $300 incentive to apply to refi my 20 yr airstream loan.applied for the loan and saved a 1/2 point on the interest rate,that my current bank was charging.the company is customer one financial in old saybrook connecticut.nice people to deal with since they generally understand rv and boat financing.my loan was brokered to u s bank and the terms allow for no prepayment penalties so i can pay additional principal as i go.this broker beat my credit union by 3.25 points.have had the loan now for 2yrs.whole loan process was accomplished thru the mail,and was relatively painless.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. I am buying it Not as a home to live in and I am retired. I might as well pay for it outright and forget the interest charges and hassle of the whole thing.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

RV financing

You might find this as an avenue and by-pass the dealer network and deal directly........best of luck

BREAKING NEWS
Priority One Offers Turnkey F&I Retail Services
Joe Bohn
RV Business
Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tight credit and a deepening recession are spurring one surprising trend in RV financing: the outsourcing of dealerships’ finance and insurance (F&I) operations.

Priority One, a St. Petersburg, Fla., provider of turnkey full-service F&I services to over 600 marine and RV industry dealers, saw a 342% increase in dealer sign-ups during January and a 540% increase in February.

The company, over 20 years old, was acquired in 2007 by RV manufacturer Forest River Inc., Elkhart, Ind., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Being affiliated with Berkshire Hathaway doesn’t give Priority One easier access to retail RV loans, but “it certainly gives us more credibility in both industries we serve,” says Lisa Gladstone, the company’s president and founder.

Priority One’s volume of retail loan application business also provides it with a degree of leverage with banks and financial institutions, which an individual dealer would be hard-pressed to match. “All our business is sent in under one roof,” says Gladstone. “Rather than a dealer doing five transactions a month, we’re working with businesses that represent $1 billion worth of retail sales. We have the same staff (52 people) talking to the same lenders every day. It’s part of what we do all day long to get the unit delivered and generate extra profit for the dealership.”

After a dealership has landed a customer, Priority One handles all the closing and selling of the finance opportunities associated with the deal. “The dealer can fax in the purchase agreement on a fax machine or enter it online to turn it over to us for a credit application,” says Gladstone. “Then, we call the customer, and start working on the deal.”

As a turnkey operation, Priority One runs credit checks and discusses financing options with a dealer’s customer, helps the dealer structure loans to the selling unit and customer’s credit qualifications, lines up lenders, sells insurance and service contracts – basically doing everything that a dealers’ business office/F&I operations would handle.

Along with high volume leverage, Priority One’s appeal is in helping dealers cut costs, getting access to highly trained people and, frequently, increasing their F& I profit on each deal, Gladstone says.

Due to the seasonality of the RV business, for example, it’s more difficult for RV dealers (than car dealers) to get topnotch F&I people and keep them during the slow selling season. Even large dealers, with multi-locations, often can’t afford a business manager at each location, Gladstone adds.

Priority One handles dealers of all sizes, the average being in the $4 million to $7 million sales range. “That’s just where we are with our average size. It’s a group of dealers that understands the need to protect every customer in the purchase in making a purchase, hold their hand, shop lenders and understands the need for additional profit,” Gladstone says.

The company’s earnings are based on whatever extra profit it generates on a unit. It earns 49% of the profit generated by the finance reserve a dealership gets from lining up its own lender, for example, and/or from the sale of a service contract. All the money from the transaction goes directly to the dealership, which, in turn, then pays Priority One, rather than it collecting any money from the lender. And, “unless we help get the unit delivered and generate extra profit from the finance reserve or up-selling things like insurance or service contracts, we don’t get paid,” says Gladstone. “We pay for overnight costs, the creation of the website. The onus is on us to create value.”

The company’s dealer agreements can be terminated at any time. “We believe in success and results that speak for themselves,” says Gladstone. “We want a profitable partnership and not one that forces anything on the dealer. Our agreements simply spell out the dealer’s responsibility and ours, and if it doesn’t work, let us know, and we’ll part friends,” says Gladstone.

Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Try your local bank or credit union. They should give you a good rate as the loan is secured by the trailer.

If you can afford to pay cash it might be a better investment than the stock market.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Genoa , New York
Excella, what an interesting article. So, what constitutes the "slow season" for RV's? I'm assuming that it is fall and winter. If I want to purchase a new AS, should I wait until the fall, assuming that I am willing, for a better deal?

We've sold our house in upstate NY with the idea that the economy isn't going to improve anytime soon. We're going to rent so that we can be flexible if my husband's business can no longer generate income and we have a nest egg that can presumably set us up elsewhere. It's a nest egg that we wouldn't want to touch, so we would finance the AS and live in it for relocation purposes. Plus, it's a great way to explore the country and see just where our family of 4 want to end up.... I'm thinking a red state is the way to go....

Thoughts on best time to buy new?
metilling65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. I am buying it Not as a home to live in and I am retired. I might as well pay for it outright and forget the interest charges and hassle of the whole thing.
We'd be interested in knowing what you decided to do here. Otherwise debt-free, we did not hesitate to finance our Interstate in 2007 and haven't regretted that for a moment.

We recently re-financed through a credit union at 5.5%, dropping our loan by several years. The banks couldn't come close to this rate, and "joining" the credit union required $25 into a savings account there, period.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
RE: RV Finance

It is easy to join a credit union now days without the need to be associated with any particular company or group. I was able to get a 4.55% loan for 66 months on a used 2005 Classic at my local credit union.
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Logic says that if you pay more for interest (on the consumer loan to buy the trailer) than you would earn on leaving your money in whatever instrument it is in now, spend the cash.

The only way I could imagine you getting a loan that would make sense is a "sweetheart" loan from a family member at zero or 1-2% interest.