Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Financing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi mcintoshMD. Welcome to the forum!

As long as any sailboat or RV has a galley & toilet, home mortgage interest deductibility applies for those who itemize. Paying interest is your call. You should seek no prepayment penalty if you realize at some point you are going to use this for roadtrips beyond available time and imagination.

$300 a month isn't a bad price to dip your toes in the water if you later decide you aren't using it enough and sell out. Except that buying new will lower the resale value 40-50% the instant you drive it off the lot -- acceptable if you are in this for the long run IMO.

The Sport owner was willing to drop his price $3K. That would pay for nearly a two-panel replacement at Jackson Center. How many panels were affected by that ding? Did the dent pass through a rib? (ie, the vertical member at the junction of the rounded front and the parallel sides)
The RV is currently on EBAY, it's the sport safari 2008, used twice , parked in the warehouse ? leak????, he said no leak, uh huh, he said ,insurance estimate $5K to fix, asking him why did he not fix it? he said, nope, want to sell "as is" I guess he already pocket the money and selling me his trouble. There are pictures of the damage on ebay.

For the second part I think we will be in this for a long run, I do keep my depreciating asset that way, I am driving a Prius gas up once a month for a 10 gal tank I do touch the 70 mpg realm almost always, I am going to use the 4runner , 2006 to tow it, both cars are shamefully high mileage that I do not want to post it here :-).
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Okay, the rib looks like it might have dodged damage ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Safari Sport.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	140205

Two skin segments. Okay, $5K or a bit less. I'd talk to Rich March or Chris Burch at the mothership -- Airstream, Inc :: Airstream Factory Service

4Runner? Small & light tows will work better for you. But I think DKB SATX said it -- get into this a bit and you might find you want something different. Eating a new small 'Stream depreciation + buying a new, more capable TV + buying a more desirable somewhat larger unit will result in a very costly progression for you.

Step back. Think. You've got a while before the next camping season to figure out what you want. Don't do 'Ready, Fire, Aim.'

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Two posts in a row -- I'll give up the credit for the additional post. (LOL -- as if..)

20' FC -- I find a representative unit on Colonial RV -- Colonial Airstream NJ - 2012 Airstream Flying Cloud 20' Bambi Some folks really prefer a double axle trailer for handling, backing. The 48" wide bed is fairly narrow for two and the dinette conversion is comfortable if maybe you have a single grand-kid not much more than 12 years old.

We spent a lot of time traveling with two friends with a 23' Int'l. They love the option of sleeping together in the corner bed in cooler weather -- or divvy'ing up and one sleeping on the pullout side couch in hot conditions.

Even with the 23' -- you will find that the 4 cu ft fridges in these shorter 'streams is very limiting for space. The 6 cu ft fridges have a separate freezer compartment and temperature regulation for these is much better (ie, the freezer is not too warm and lettuce does not freeze in the fridge unit). On top of that -- the 4 cu ft fridges tend not to have a passive-draft roof vent and have supplemental electric fan ventilation that runs a lot and is quite noisy at night.

It's only a stretch whether I might take a second look at our choice -- maybe would consider the 27' FB Int'l but we're quite set with our 'pocket cruiser.' The owner's bed in the 27' FB Int'l cabin is primo. Having a dinette that doesn't need to be put up and taken down each night counts a lot IMO. Either the 23, 25 or 27 work very well at dinnertime when you have kids visiting (we put ours up in a tent outside).

Length in this range isn't an issue for any hookup site at state parks. Commercial campgrounds -- less than 'no problem.' Boondocking and National Forest sites are also bounteous. We've run into the biggest size issue at our state forest sites -- and the usual problem there is height in the site -- they're okay for a popup but usually have enough height options as long as I'm not arriving on a Friday afternoon.

Don't surf floorplans. Actually walk into a variety of units and form your opinion after seeing a wide assortment of units at dealers or AIR rallys. Yes, you might find somewhat greater discounts if you're willing to travel multi-states away -- and then have to puzzle through the inevitable couple trips back to the dealer for warranty work. Some good discounts can be had with on-the-floor units late in the season (like .. about now!). Custom order a unit & you'll pay close to full price. Just sayin...

From a 62-ish adventurer,

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshMD View Post
I am newbie here. I have >50K in my bank earning decimal interest, I am a physician so is my wife. I have my money mostly in CD and bank note, paying anywhere from 8 % to 15 % federally insured for the principal. I have income from my investment more than I am making from my work. I also have more than 100K of shiny gold sitting in my vault as well as SPDR GLD and SLV stock. Just curious the guy run my credit and his eyes were popping out when the credit score return 840. I have no mortgage on our home which I am paying county tax based on 800K value, the kids are gone , I have 2 kid 1 owe me 50K and another owe me 30K interest free for their home down payment, one just sold her home and hopefully will return me the 50K soon, I hope. What do you all financial guru think of my situation?
That's a bunch of highly private information on the internet, so since you're on a roll, could you post the vault address?

Given that inflation is making any investment you have listed, other than metals, sit at even or negative return on purchasing power, there is no reason to loose more money on a liability. The airstream doesn't make money for you, so pay cash if possible.
PaulAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Screw the Airstream . . . I'd want to know where the 8% to 15% is.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock
I'm with you. Send me the bank phone number on this one.

And FYI I am putting a deposit tomorrow on a 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB and I'm getting it for 79% of list. So there are dealers out there willing to deal.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Long term Bank Note will give you that, at my age I care about income not principle, although the principle is guaranteed by FDIC. My note and CD maturity are in 2020 and 2030. Guess my kid will be so happy when I'm gone. BofA, Morgan Stanley, Wells Fargo will give you that, they will not tell you upfront, my broker has to do some digging. Most of them will call ie give you the principle and interest paid,before maturity date, then we will have to look for it again.

As far as the address of my vault, I am sleeping on top of it;-).
Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
I'm with you. Send me the bank phone number on this one.

And FYI I am putting a deposit tomorrow on a 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB and I'm getting it for 79% of list. So there are dealers out there willing to deal.
Screw the 8% to 15% interest, where are you getting 21% off list on a 2012 Airstream?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum

Screw the 8% to 15% interest, where are you getting 21% off list on a 2012 Airstream?

doug k
Yep, like to know that one too.I'll make the pilgrimage, take a sabbatic leave and get myself 2 AS, just kidding.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
My wife and I just bought a 2008 Safari Sport 22'. It's the same year/model as the listing on eBay. We haven't even picked it up yet. The dealer is getting out of Airstreams. It is NEW and comes with the original manufacturer's warranty. It was about the same price as the eBay AS, but without the dents. It did have a few issues, but they are being resolved.
They had two of the same models. We bought one. One is still available.
nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesvt
My wife and I just bought a 2008 Safari Sport 22'. It's the same year/model as the listing on eBay. We haven't even picked it up yet. The dealer is getting out of Airstreams. It is NEW and comes with the original manufacturer's warranty. It was about the same price as the eBay AS, but without the dents. It did have a few issues, but they are being resolved.
They had two of the same models. We bought one. One is still available.
Where is the Safari located? Mind my asking?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Got final numbers and it's 20%, not 21%. More details to come.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Quote:
Where is the Safari located? Mind my asking?
Don't mind at all. It's in Vermont. I would type the exact location and website, but I don't want to violate any rules about advertising/listing in the wrong forum. I will send you a PM with more details.
Using Google with "airstream VT" will also bring you there.
nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #74
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
I'm wondering where they drop 40-50% in the first year of ownership. Not up here, that's a fact.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

I'm wondering where they drop 40-50% in the first year of ownership. Not up here, that's a fact.
I agreed, I have been looking for the gently used AS,they do not lose the value that much, for example, the sport safari, 2008, 20 ft, new in 2008 was $32k, the going price now is $25 k, according to my math, that is not 50% off,and that's a 4 year old AS,that's come to 5.47% depreciation per year!!! the reason why I want to go with the new one is because AS is supposed to hold value a little better than the other squared box. If I could invest and my return rate is better than 5 % , I will come out ahead.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
. . . the reason why I want to go with the new one is because AS is supposed to hold value a little better than the other squared box. If I could invest and my return rate is better than 5 % , I will come out ahead.

What am I missing?

So there's no weight and value subtracted for risk? and the assumptions are based on a current market analysis on a 2% spread? I have some rich doctor friends. They buy airplanes and second and third homes with cash and call me over to see them after the fact. Not one has ever talked to me about analyzed depreciation or offsetting loans on toys. They just go buy them.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:

What am I missing?

So there's no weight and value subtracted for risk? and the assumptions are based on a current market analysis on a 2% spread? I have some rich doctor friends. They buy airplanes and second and third homes with cash and call me over to see them after the fact. Not one has ever talked to me about analyzed depreciation or offsetting loans on toys. They just go buy them.
First I do not consider my self rich.
Second I could pay cash but my sense is telling me not to. Since, I know I could put my money to work elsewhere.
With all due respect, I am signing off.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #78
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you trade in a car or Airstream after 1 year the dealer will whack you 40% or more.

Don't forget he can buy brand new ones wholesale so he is going to discount his offer from there.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #79
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Splitrock did you not notice the name Mcintosh MD? We seem to be dealing with a canny Scot here.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
<-------- blows spit bubble . . .