Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Free Credit Report-Not

About once every three years I check our credit report from the 3 major companies. I pay $29+ for the three reports, and never get them free. I was looking at our credit card the other day and noticed a $14.95 charge every month for the last five months.

It seems that the small print says that they will bill you $14.95 a month every month unless you opt out when you get a Free Credit Report. (Which I didn't even get.)

The girl I talked to actually ended up hanging up on me after refusing to credit my account, so I have a protest coming from MC. My niece had the same thing happen, but the girl at the credit card company gave her a credit immediately.

My point of this post is to tell you to be careful and check your card bills. I am extra careful to not get taken advantage of, but they did.

starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
About once every three years I check our credit report from the 3 major companies. I pay $29+ for the three reports, and never get them free. I was looking at our credit card the other day and noticed a $14.95 charge every month for the last five months.

It seems that the small print says that they will bill you $14.95 a month every month unless you opt out when you get a Free Credit Report. (Which I didn't even get.)

The girl I talked to actually ended up hanging up on me after refusing to credit my account, so I have a protest coming from MC. My niece had the same thing happen, but the girl at the credit card company gave her a credit immediately.

My point of this post is to tell you to be careful and check your card bills. I am extra careful to not get taken advantage of, but they did.
I payed for one and got 3 months but I did opt out so it didn't continue. I actually marked on my calendar when to opt out. It is a scam but I knew that going in. Very deceptive.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Our trial was nine days!
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is the only site per the feds that is free. I can attest first hand for the past 3 years I have pulled my reports free from each of the three major reporting companies using this site:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

The only time I paid anything was when I wanted to see my credit score, which is not provided under the law for free. It cost me about $9, but all the rest of the basic reporting was in fact free. You only get it free once every 12 months.

Here is the FTC page linking the free site:

http://www.ftc.gov/freereports
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
In my opinion, all of the "Free Credit Report" offers are scams (tricks, schemes, or devices) to steal money using misleading advertising. These companies should be prosecuted for theft.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
It's pretty simple. if you keep getting credit card offers regularly your credit is good. If not you have something to be concerned about. Instead on spending 14.95 a month you wil need to buy a schredder though. There is supposed to be a way to opt out of the mailings but All my attempts have not succeded.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
In addition to the above you can get a free credit score from a place called www.quizzle.com I heard about this on a radio show called Clark Howard check out his website he will help you out to...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Contacting the credit reporting agencies and places you do business with, phone, credit cards, loans, etc requesting to opt out of any sharing of info in addition to an unlisted phone number will dramatically reduce the junk mail and phone call solicitations you get. The opt out is free, and unpublished phone numbers do cost and those rates vary from LEC to LEC (local exchange carrier).
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I agree with SilverTwinkie - it has not cost me anything to see the 3 credit agency reportings.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Got mine free also. Didn't go for the score because I took the time to read the small print where it told you there would be a monthly charge until you canceled.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Not sure if Experian is still doing this .... Experian was selling credit scores when people were requesting them after a solicitation by Experian. The scores from Experian were "consumer" scores and not scores that were being used by any industry making credit decisions. The Experian "consumer" credit scores tended to be 5 to 30 points higher than the scores the banking industry would get when they ran credit. So a consumer thought they had a higher score and it wasn't really fact. Experian did supply a disclosure statement about what the consumer was getting. However few people ever read it before having the credit score pulled.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
This is the only site per the feds that is free. I can attest first hand for the past 3 years I have pulled my reports free from each of the three major reporting companies using this site:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

The only time I paid anything was when I wanted to see my credit score, which is not provided under the law for free. It cost me about $9, but all the rest of the basic reporting was in fact free. You only get it free once every 12 months.

Here is the FTC page linking the free site:

The Federal Trade Commission's Information on Free Annual Credit Reports
Just like Silvertwink said! I get mine here once a year free, for the past 3 years. No strings.

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote