Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
thanks tom.
very good info for me. i think id like to go the stripping/polishing route. would love more info on that specifically i certainly have much more time than money thats why i would like to keep everything, newb do able with proper instructions, in house.
btw pics as promised of interior
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03510.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	141913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03511.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	141914  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03514.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	141915   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03515.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	141916  

Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I guess that's the later pattern for the wall covering... I was in a slightly-scary Minuet this evening that's for sale near me, and it has that same pattern. Considering the amount of work that would be involved in stripping off that tough vinyl covering, I recommend you try cleaning a section of it with something serious like Simple Green or a citrus-based degreaser that's safe for vinyl and see how it comes out. The background is NOT bright white, so when it's clean it won't look paper-white, but I suspect it'll look way better than the dirty section next to it. It's a very '70s "period element" and would save you a huge amount of effort if it cleans up.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
~~
In your photo I see the original brown plastic door latch, which has turned a chalky brown. You can easily restore those ugly brown latches by removing them and painting them with Krylon Fusion gloss brown spray paint. You can get it at Wal Mart. Be sure to get the "fusion" not the regular Krylon. It fuses to the plastic and works great. They will turn out like new and really dress up the interior.
Duh, I feel STUPID now. That's a great idea and I'm somewhat ashamed I haven't thought of it on my own. I was already thinking of trying that Krylon plastic paint to freshen up the yellowed interior end caps, and getting the latches ready to paint will be MUCH easier.

Do you leave the oxidized layer of chalky plastic and just paint over it like POR15 on metal? Or will that come off with a decent cleaning to get it ready to paint?

I know what I'll be doing next weekend when I have a chance to tinker with the trailer again. There are 14 of those littlie buggers crying out for a freshening!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I just painted over the chalky plastic and it came out beautifully. When you want to get rid of the "old banana yellow" on the end caps, and the refrigerator vent, and the AC interior parts, use the Krylon Fusion Satin white. You will not believe how good it will look to get rid of that ugly yellowed look. And, believe it or not, if you have any of the white tambor doors which have gone yellow on your rig, the same Krylon Fusion makes them look like new. But, be sure to take the entire door out to do it, otherwise it will wind up looking tacky. Mine literally look like brand new.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Just a thought, but once the vinyl wall covering is cleaned properly, how about just painting it. It would probably be a good idea to prime it first to make sure that the top coat sticks. This would also let you know how you like the color white on the interior vinyl. Try a section that will be covered up by cabinets if, for some reason, it does not work very well.

Dan
Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
dan. thanks a bunch im leaning this way as ive been deterred from the thought of how amazing the cost of brand new skins are. im also assuming this input is an all around definite "no" to replacing skins altogether being a good investment, as i have gotten so much feeback on restoring/painting over that i almost dont even think about how much i wanted to completely replace them altogeter even if it took 5 years.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
what i gather; "stripping doesnt even matter... just prime and paint over it and re rivet to save the interior,? " is there anyone who knows how to find cheaper aluminimun for skins incase i cant touch this for
Old 10-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Here's a good thread for you to read - the owner did a lot of what you're talking about doing, including stripping and polishing the inside skins. Looks pretty good to me...

Tom