Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well its purrrttyyy. A lot of work and pretty cool but way too much cash. And as mentioned the weight has got to be off the charts. The on the human side of camping, I wouldn't want to be kicking a flat screen all night while trying to sleep, the reading lights would last one weekend. Whats with the limes? A $2,500 coffee maker? I'm happy with my little percolator! Yes, a fun looking AS but let's be real, can you tow it and can you 'camp' in it? This one doesn't fit into my Airstream Life style!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Oh hell, for a country that's got people willing to offer over $1,000 for a single corn flake - see The Great Illinois Corn Flake Coupon - eBay (item 110235071660 end time Mar-21-08 20:16:33 PDT)

the asking price on that Airstream would obviously be just chicken feed.

John

p.s. Do an Ebay search for "corn flake" and you'll see there are plenty of flakes out there.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Ummmmmmmmm.....ok......how about if we all pool our money together, buy the cornflake, have it framed and then we can share it on a scheduled basis. We could afford to share it easier than forking out the $$ for the trailer.

As for the beautiful trailer.......wow!!! But way out of my league.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I sent this e-Bay listing person an inquiry asking where he gets the moxie to ask $170,000 for his trailer. I continue that it has no marble or granite floors or counters, no sophisticated computer controlled lighting and monitoring systems (ala Prevost MoHos), no outrageous eye-popping electronics and other super expensive goodies found in th megga bus-type RVs, and could he please provide the name of the stuff he is smoking!!

So he send back a very nasty (rightly so) reply saying that it has been appraised for $250,000 and that he has over $140,000 of materials in it. He sure does hide it well. His 'appraiser' must be smoking the same stuff!!!

He might find a sucker (read buyer) who has that kind of disposable cash to plop down on his precious creation, but no intelligent person would ever consider it!.........not from this board anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work....sure! $170,000 worth.......FUHGEDDABOUDITTTT!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I really liked the little plastic army guys in the trailer. Now I wish I had kept mine, I could put them in my trailer. I wonder if they fall over while traveling?

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I couldn't help but notice- in both the ebay listing and u-tube video- that there are no propane tanks! The joker that redid this trailer had no concept of camping. Forget about boondocking- nothing would work. And really- a wet bath in a 31' trailer- what the heck were they thinking!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I took a look at the video, am I looking at the video wrong or did the guy spray on the insulation.

Didn't Inland say that Airstream tried this and the spray on stuff eventually wears down to powder with all transit and such.

There is no question it's a unique trailer, but I have to ask the question that Lew sort of eluded to. Folks that buy $100k+ luxo barges typically by MoHos with washer, dryers, electro this, automatic that. I don't see much of that in this trailer, though I will admit it has a lot of neat stuff in it. I would have to agree, the gross weight must be beyond what's listed.

IMHO, the trailer crowd is a bit more frugal, I'm keenley aware of the Ralph Lauren units that sold, but in this economy, is something like this even practical? I guess practical would be in the wallet of the buyer. To me though, someone with $170k isn't gonna want to do the trailer thing IMHO.

Everyone has also brought up good points. Insurance? Future service? Depreciation?

Can you imagine boondocking in this? I guess the idea is that you don't with something like this.

Nice job on the unit, looks sharp, but as you can see, no bids yet, and I'd be shocked if someone did honestly really bid this one. I can't see some person with the $$$ wanting to go through the trouble of hauling.

Whadda pull it with? Something like this??

Armored Cars, Bullet Proof Vests, Ford F 350 Gun Truck

PS- the guy has good taste in computers...I noticed what I thought was a Mac on the countertop in the video....guy can't be all that bad if he's a Mac owner too....a dreamer yes, but all we Mac users are.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Gosh for that price it even comes with bad axles...........

Gee I'll sell my 58 for only $45,000

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Wow - you guys are tough!

Setting the price aside, it's a pretty cool restoration. It may take a while to sell it but there is some deep-pocketed person out there who will buy it.

On second thought - it's really no longer an AS - just the outside shell is. Everything else is custom built. Considering the costs of custom work, the price may not be that far out of line. Look at custom mohos. They go for some pretty steep prices. We're just used to AS price tags that are much lower.

The person who buys it wont be a camper staying at your neighborhood KOA. They will be someone in the movie or fashion industry who wants luxury accomodations on location.

The eBay write-up was ridiculous though - burnt red skies - give me a break!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
This'll never be boondocked, that's obviously artistic license in the description. It'll sit in the Hamptons as a pool cabana, 100 yards from the ocean. And I don't believe it's supposed to compete with Prevost, so the washer/drier issue is probably a non-issue. It is its own market.

I'd never have taken a gamble putting this much money into this project, but it's certainly realistic to think there are customers out there that shop the Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog, (or FAO Schwartz for that matter!) There are always big boys looking for big toys.

Pam Anderson probably spent this much on her empty shell with a stripper pole... and didn't get 1/10 of the result these guys did. So I too have nothing but admiration for the quality of this one. As for the "NBA star who's been on MTV Cribs" customer they're looking for - I wish them nothing but success. I do think it'll sell a lot quicker on the DuPont Registry.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
If it was a 26 footer I'd be printing it off to use as a post rehab insurance comparible for sure. Side note, I was looking at the Powell & Bonnell Design showcase Airstream that's in Airstream Living by Bruce Littlefield and Simon Brown, that can't have been much less pricey can it?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Wow - you guys are tough!

Setting the price aside, it's a pretty cool restoration. It may take a while to sell it but there is some deep-pocketed person out there who will buy it.

On second thought - it's really no longer an AS - just the outside shell is. Everything else is custom built. Considering the costs of custom work, the price may not be that far out of line. Look at custom mohos. They go for some pretty steep prices. We're just used to AS price tags that are much lower.

The person who buys it wont be a camper staying at your neighborhood KOA. They will be someone in the movie or fashion industry who wants luxury accomodations on location.

The eBay write-up was ridiculous though - burnt red skies - give me a break!
Exactly my thoughts. Matthew McConaghy owns at least a couple of Airstreams. That's the type of person this unit is targeting.

Overall, I think it's beautiful. Obviously, it's not practical-- but, I don't think that was ever the intent of the restorers.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS
I really liked the little plastic army guys in the trailer. Now I wish I had kept mine, I could put them in my trailer. I wonder if they fall over while traveling?
What do you mean traveling? Will that trailer actually be on the road?

Or maybe you mean if you had them in yours...yeah, that's it.

I agree with Lewster, there isn't that much "high-end" stuff in there. Certainly not $140,000 worth. For that much, they must have also included the cost of the herbal remedy used to sooth themselves while making sure that "Not one detail has been missed".

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Whaddaya reckon he needed a light in the floor of the wet bath for?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
reserve

have we all noticed: reserve not met?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #36
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My thoughts were the southern California celebrity or recording mogul is/or should be the target for this type of conversion. I have seen several programs, including "Made in America" that said Hollywood's elite buy vintage Airstreams and spend over $100k on the custom conversions so this probably isn't that far out of line in that kind of market. Just remember, that "Hatbox" toilet cost more than $5,000 and the Gaganau (?) oven is more than $7,000 and induction cook tops run between $2,500 and $3,000. If the other details are in the same price line, $140,000 may not be too far out there.

I agree, that is not the kind of restoration that most of us here are into, but there is a market for it somewhere. Someone with the taste and intelligence to pull this kind of high end design off doesn't do it on a whim, they know there is someone out there. I am, however, surprised that he thinks he'll find them on e-bay...but then, you can find anything on e-bay!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

spray-on insulation in mega-$-AS

@ silvertwinkie
I just verified with my brother (sales-/tech consultant in the building industry, roofing, insulation etc.) that spray-on insulation foam can be had in all sorts of variants.
The techn. parameters (elasticity (sp?) etc.) can be adjusted. The foam could be mixed to be stiff-brittle and solid, foamy-soft, elastic and lots of versions in between.
Today.

When AS tested it (see Andy's reference) it might have been impossible to adjust the foam or they tried to stabalize the shell with it (which requires a stiffer version).
In short:
I would not rule out foam to insulate an AS - if I had access to the right equipment / know-how. The conventional insulation, however, will be cheaper and - given the poor thermal design of AS TTs (door + window frames, rips with little to no thermal breaks; single-pane windows etc.) - I doubt that spray foam would be worth the hassle.

Still a nice trailer
The potential buyer will IMHO probably prefer to have HIS TT at this amount of $

M,
still dreamin'
(in front of his Mac)
memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #38
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS
Got ya covered!

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Uhhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315
Whaddaya reckon he needed a light in the floor of the wet bath for?
A) Mood
B) Trimming toenails
C) Entertainment
D) all of the above
E) none of the above

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Renovation vs Restoration

Interestingly enough, we’ve all been calling this project a restoration (myself included.) The truth is it’s a renovation.

A restoration is when someone goes through great lengths to restore the object (here it’s an AS) to it’s original condition. It involves a lot of work and effort to carefully disassemble, repair and reassemble to preserve the original design and function. Often folks restoring an AS will go as far as to find fabrics true to the period and even things like turquoise melamine dishes to go in it! In short, it’s breathing new life into a bit of history. I have a lot of respect for people who will go through this kind of effort to restore a vintage trailer. Granted, there may be replacement of some systems to restore function, the intent is still to preserve the classic designs of that period in time.

MObi on the other hand is a renovation - a total gut job that bears absolutely no resemblance to the original unit. Granted, it’s pretty cool in many ways, but it still totally destroyed the original integrity of the design - forever. And yes... high end finishes and appliances are very expensive. No doubt he has $125K in it.

Hats off to those vintage owners who respect the original design and work to restore it to that period in time.

Renovation vs restoration - enough said.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote