Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Girdwood , Alaska
Worth it? 1970 Sovereign, gutted for $1,200?

Hi, I actually, originally posted in General Repairs looking for advice on whether or not this was a project I might actually be able to feasibly undertake, but then I found this and thought I would just check and see if anyone here had any feedback.

The original post is here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ult-54387.html

Here's the important part:
A 1970 Sovereign. You know, that long one, the 31-footer. Rear bath model. Came across an ad for it near my home town that I will be moving back to in the next year or so to go back to school.

This gal is probably far more literally a tin can than my current abode. It is gutted, even the floor is pulled with temporary walkways in place. All wiring exposed, et cetera. The thing is, the frame is straight and solid, the axles, while I'm sure are far from pristine, ought to get it to wherever I plan on living in it. (Recently made the trip from FL to north MS just fine.) No major dents on the exterior according to my dad who checked it out for me yesterday. All the windows are either installed and working or inside the thing. I think dear old Dad also said all the interior wall bits and pieces were there.

I think the price is right-ish. $1200. From what I've seen, this isn't the best price, but not the worse. Probably about right in the middle somewhere. And the way I figure, it seems like most of these things need to be gutted out to this stage anyway to reno right, so they saved me a lot of work.

Yes? No? Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

Rachel
PulpFaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Truthfully, only you know what you are capable of repair wise. $$ wise... well, my take on anything you want to buy that is old enough to be based on "intrinsic" value alone means, well.. is it worth $1200 to you?

Can it be redone? yes absolutly, AS's have made it back from beyond the brink many times as evidenced on these very boards. It's gutted, do they still have the guts? Do they come with the sale? If you want to restore it, then that means finding OEM parts for a 39yo camper... not easy, although probably easier then parts for a '48 Buick. (Future project on my plate) If you intend to just make it campable, then it's a different storry, because modern parts and appliances can be used, but unless you can do the work yourself to install them, it can get expensive fast. We just started a couple weeks ago on a '79, we have about $400 in parts so far, but about 40 hours of labor cleaning and repairing and general work on it. We want to have it campable by Sept, and all systems working properly by spring. I guess we will easily have a several thousand hours in it when done, if you have to pay for that amount of labor, or any amount in my opinion, you should find a more complete trailer to start with.

good luck...

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Worth it? I think so. If we had come across this AS for $1200 before we bought Little Girl, I think we would have purchased this one instead. Right size, right vintage, right condition, right price for us. But then, we are both die-hard DIY'ers with lots of expereince doing home remodelling projects. And neither of us are afraid to tackle anything...

My concern would be towing her without a floor and without the inside skins. From what I understand of how AS's are constructed, the floor, the ribs, and both the inside and outside skins are integral to the structure. However, at that price, you could probably pay to have it moved on a flatbed trailer and still come out ok in the total price of buying the trailer and getting it to where you can work on it.

Someone will probably chime in and tell you that you should put the aluminum skin back on the inside and then cover them with whatever material you want - wood, fabric, paint, etc. I would agree with that, even if you don't think you'll ever move the trailer again. All part of the structure of the trailer.

Pretty much anything you want to do you can accomplish, giving time and money. There's a wealth of information on these forums, as well as lots of people to ask questions about when you get stuck on something. Like Dakota's Dad, we are re-doing a Sovereign, in our case a 1972. It's the Little Girl Refurb thread in the '72 Sovereign section of the forums if you want to take a look. We're at the early stages still.

Good luck!!!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The bigger trailers are not as disirable as the smaller ones. I would say for what you are getting it may be high. All you are getting is a shell.....

I would try to get it for $1000 or less.

Does it have the bath fixtures TUB, Shower? what about stove, fridge, sink...

What about propane tanks...

Most come with this and you can get a whole trailer for $5000 in working order...

Plus like I said, not everyone wants the long ones so they go cheaper....

Try to talk them down if it doesn't come with the stuff I listed.

Plus it will need new axles which will run about $2000. Talk them down..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
A Little Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpFaction View Post
Hi, I actually, originally posted in General Repairs looking for advice on whether or not this was a project I might actually be able to feasibly undertake, but then I found this and thought I would just check and see if anyone here had any feedback.

The original post is here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ult-54387.html

Here's the important part:
A 1970 Sovereign. You know, that long one, the 31-footer. Rear bath model. Came across an ad for it near my home town that I will be moving back to in the next year or so to go back to school.

This gal is probably far more literally a tin can than my current abode. It is gutted, even the floor is pulled with temporary walkways in place. All wiring exposed, et cetera. The thing is, the frame is straight and solid, the axles, while I'm sure are far from pristine, ought to get it to wherever I plan on living in it. (Recently made the trip from FL to north MS just fine.) No major dents on the exterior according to my dad who checked it out for me yesterday. All the windows are either installed and working or inside the thing. I think dear old Dad also said all the interior wall bits and pieces were there.

I think the price is right-ish. $1200. From what I've seen, this isn't the best price, but not the worse. Probably about right in the middle somewhere. And the way I figure, it seems like most of these things need to be gutted out to this stage anyway to reno right, so they saved me a lot of work.

Yes? No? Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

Rachel
Rachel, Go to Airstream.com / North America and select service tab at the topof the page. There you will find spec sheets and interior layouts for trailers from 1952 on. It will help you to "see" where the counters, systems and cabinetry would have been located in your future trailer. As to price It isn't bad if frame/body are in good condition. Only you know if you are capable of taking on the unique challenge of building it back up from scratch. Some here would prefer to have it stripped out so they could update the wiring and add things that were not installed originally, like junction boxes and shallow switch/outlet boxes. It will require a lot of work and $$$ to get it the way you want it. However, you must look at it over the long run. The whole point of ownership is using the trailer for what it was built for... Camping/enjoyment! You will need to think of it as an investment in your future. Look to all the adventures you might go on with it and then ask yourself... Can I do this/Is it worth it? Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Mt. Juliet , Tennessee
I just bought one for $800 in similar/worse condition...front roof panel is caved in from a tree limb falling on it, interior is gutted, most bath room parts are there, all cabinets are gone, no stove/fridge/sink. I towed mine home but I only live ~10 miles from the seller.
Like others have said, it can be restored, so it's a matter of what you're willing to pay to acquire the project. I figure if I get in too deep I can easily recoup the $800 by selling parts off it. I don't intend to go back to original condition, I just want a nice, functional camper, so cheap to acquire and needing work is the entry point for me. I'm handy and enjoy projects, and I'm in no hurry, so this works for me. I might polish one area of the skin just to have a glimmer of hope to keep me going...
Robin Midgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
And where are my manners!!!

Rachel, and Robin, WELCOME to the forums.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Hey Good Day PulpFaction> Hope I spelled your user name correctly. Anyway, I gave just a little bit more for mine all was there and had to go get it out of the woods in Arkansas. Anyway the reason for the reply.

I am renewing all of the interior top to bottom in my 75 31 foot Sovereign and after I have made new patterns I would like to sell or send you a copy print of the interior so you can build yourself.. The interior is in great shape. Let me know. I could send photos however I think they are already floating around on the Forum.

Airdaddy
Danny
Wichita Kansas
Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Girdwood , Alaska
Thank for the input, guys! For better or worse, dad's dropping off the check tomorrow. I still haven't seen her, but I trust my dad. He's not gonna let me get in too much trouble with it!!! Hopefully I can get him to take some pictures to tide me over until I meet the new family member in October. (God, that seems FOREVER!)
PulpFaction is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign