Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #21
_

. , .
the 98 safari READS like it has been badly abused, beat up...

and deconstructed from useful rv travel (note the list of removed stuff?)...

IF it really is 4k$ there are reasons for this price, beyond being a 'buddy'.

the tradewind READS like it is more travel ready and worthy...

soft flooring by the door IS common and not hard to correct, IF it's the only issue.

but there really is NO REASON to remove the pan or inspect the frame....

since you've expressed no desire or ability to do any repairs that my be discoverd.

so just get to the original goal of starting this thread...

and post the tradewind FOR SALE in the classified section here

if is UNLIKELY you will find a modern/ready to go trailer that doesn't have SOME hidden or major issues...

in the 4-8,000$ price range.

and still NO PICTURES?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #22
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Danny-

Being of sound mind I have this to offer; why not both? As you can tell I favor both models!

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
I'm going to look at the '98 tomorrow, so I'll have more details.
dannyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey dannyO, you seem to be just about swimming in Airstreams here in Austin, while I'm having a hard time finding what I want in our fair city.

So, if you see an Overlander out there while you're deciding between the TradeWind and the Safari, please be sure to drop me a line! I'm not particular, I'm partial to pretty much any of the Overlanders from the 50s, 60s, or early 70s.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
utee, i'll keep my ear to the ground...would a tradewind work?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
utee, i was in bastrop yesterday and there is a place there that had tons of 'streams. i thought i saw a few overlanders there. i think it was called bastrop rv sales. everything looked overpriced.

on a side note, still no pics of the safari. 2air, it definitely has not been abused. it is very clean. it has about a 12in. in diameter dent in the rear, curbside corner panel (remember, backed into a tree?). everything else is in pretty primo condition. i think i am going to go for it.

concerning the safari, i am going to put a few bucks in it to restore it to being a six sleeper. does anyone have any ideas? the original dinette is gone and so is the original sofa. i've got a fairly blank canvas and need ya'lls help (you can tell i'm from texas, ya'll).
Old 04-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Danny-

Being of sound mind I have this to offer; why not both? As you can tell I favor both models!

Rick
I agree, if there is ANY way you can swing both, get both. then you will have the best of both worlds.
I personally am a fan of the classics, and will always go that route first, but i dont mind the work, and the frustrations and headaches, makes it that much more fun, however, ive been inside newer airstreams and they sure are nice.
if you can do it, go with both!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
With your requirements I recommend you do not buy either. You need to go to the dealer and buy a new one, make the payments and not worry about anything... unless you have the time that is.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyo
Kevin and Bob,

Thanks for the inspiration. To answer your question, Bob, the truth is I just don't have time. How long will it take me to drop the belly pan? I have a friend that's a welder, so if there is a problem, he can help me. To me, things usually boil down to a time and money issue. Between 56hr. work weeks, watching my 2 year old on my days off, and cooking/cleaning, I'm left with very little time. Just like Kevin, I am not a do-it-yourselfer, at least not for big things. To me, the difference in cost between the 2 trailers would offset any mandatory work needing done on the Safari. I'm just in a sticky spot. I'm really still torn. Thanks again. Anyone else with some insight? I'll look for a place in/near Austin to have it evaluated.
dannyo,
Whatever you do & with whichever one (I'd go with the '98), DO NOT USE the service center at the Airstream place in Buda (don't want to use their name)! The work is shoddy, extremely overpriced and they are not honest in what they say they do. This has been talked about quite a bit here on the forums.

Since you do not have the time to do repairs, modifications, etc., go with the newer one, get to know how they are and take your time getting to know the beast. When you feel you've got a handle on all the systems, how they work and fit together, you can always sell the Safari and then venture into the restoration world.

Save you alot of heartache and might even keep you from getting overwhelmed and burned out on it all. Good Luck!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Jaxon, thanks for the advice about the Buda dealer. Who would you recommend around Austin?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #31
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Sorry Dannyo, wasn't notified that you had posted to my last one... To be quite frank, I'd go to Weatherford - Roger Williams. There's an individual in Kerrvile who's into restorations - don't remember his name but he's on the forums, too.

Have thought about trying out another SOB dealership on things such as the A/C, refrigerator issues if need be. After our last experience with the A/S dealer in Buda, we simply will not go back to them.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote