Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Port Angeles , Washington
When is it time to scrap/part it?

i have 2 airstreams, and i cant seem to sell them. One has new axles brakes tires fridge ac water heater the works, so i am going to keep trying to sell it. Ive gotten more interest in the other but no takers.

Its a 69 safari 21 foot. It is pretty gutted, it has its water tank but i dont think the stove works or the water heater. the big hold up for people are the dents, it was attacked by vandals that used what must have been a bat or 2x4 to cave in a big patch of the side, under both tail lights and on the front side as well.

It seems at some point i could get more out of it by selling the good side panels the windows the door etc. but then i need to find people that need parts... any thoughts?

im sure there is scrap value to some of the damaged metal. I cant even get $1500 for it (i paid $5000 in '04)

What do you guys think anyone had an airstream they thought may be better to scrap? how did that work out for you?

Thanks for any help, i know ive been MIA on here for quite some time...I doscovered after putting so much into my 31 foot '79 soverign that my truck wasnt strong enough to get it up mountains and my depth perception is too bad for towng :-/

Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
There will always be a buyer if the price is right.

To make you feel better, - - - If you've had it 8yrs, $5000/8=$625.00 a year. You maybe have to look at all the money you saved by not towing it all over America. You could have spent that much on fuel every month.

My fuel bill in 2011 was close to $6800.00 and I can hardly remember many places that we traveled. ( Guess that means we will have to go again because it sure was fun. .)

Call the scrap company and ask for a round figure on value. They might even come and pick it up.

Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and take the loss.

Good luck.

Dave

Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Use it for a chicken coop, yard art, guest cottage? I have not had to totally scrap one...yet. I would call and see what the going price is for scrap couldn't hurt.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Can you post the link to your classified ad? I can't find it.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
I plan to post the bigger one to the classifieds in spring when the chances of selling it are greater, since to m6y understanding there is a listing fee.

im questioning if i should do this to the little one too or part it out.

as far as just scrapiing the whole thing, it seem like it would be a waste of a door and windows someone else could use, doesnt it? i saw someone selling windows for $500 a piece! i think thats a bit high, but it wouls be a shame just to turn in the whole thing for scrap... yeah might make a good chicken coop but not for someone about to go cross country in a bus
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You now have a bus? What did you get?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by anami View Post

Thanks for any help, i know ive been MIA on here for quite some time...I doscovered after putting so much into my 31 foot '79 soverign that my truck wasnt strong enough to get it up mountains and my depth perception is too bad for towng :-/
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I plan to post the bigger one to the classifieds in spring when the chances of selling it are greater, since to m6y understanding there is a listing fee.

im questioning if i should do this to the little one too or part it out.

as far as just scrapiing the whole thing, it seem like it would be a waste of a door and windows someone else could use, doesnt it? i saw someone selling windows for $500 a piece! i think thats a bit high, but it wouls be a shame just to turn in the whole thing for scrap... yeah might make a good chicken coop but not for someone about to go cross country in a bus
Well, you haven't had it listed here to my knowledge. Although you are only permitted to advertise one vehicle at a time, there is no listing fee at all. Our Classifieds are completely free.

It's true there is less action in the winter, for various reasons, I guess. One could be the fact that for us Northerners, to be able to work on a trailer, you need a heated indoor shop unless you are used to spending a lot of time in the frozen outdoors.

Another could be the obvious fact that the places you can visit are more limited in the winter. Again, unless you are a Polar Bear.

But there seem to be a lot of people in your predicament: gutted trailer, and lost interest or funds to carry on. So why would someone want to buy one that has been beaten with a bat? It's tough to repair damaged panels, and they cost big bucks to replace.

Lastly, it is no walk in the park to sell parts: somehow, you need to have them OFF the trailer. That's real work to most folks.

Good luck with whatever you wind up doing!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
As you probably have found out by now, fixing up an Airstream takes more time and costs more money than you originally figure on.

Lots of people have been caught in this trap. It is pretty common when you finish a restore, to have put more into the project than it is worth.

So, why not have some pity on the next victim and give them a deal? I know you hate to take a loss but that train left the station a long time ago.

At some point it is best to admit a mistake, get out of it as best you can, and move on. Believe me I have made mistakes, and paid for them. When that happens I'll take what I can get on a quick sale and put it behind me.

In the end, this hurts less than dragging out the inevitable in hopes of saving a couple of bucks.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
List it to sell.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Smile SO true

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
My fuel bill in 2011 was close to $6800.00 and I can hardly remember many places that we traveled.
That is so true it is OBSCENE! I would like to have that in needlepoint for my chair cushion when they put me in the home. Hope I can remember it....

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at http://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I forget the fuel bills and think about the placees we went.

Old Airstreams are harder to get rid of than to acquire. But so is everything else.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Well this is not your standard, thought someone could fix up an airstream and couldnt. I have two one with many nice new parts and in good shape. The other one was vandalized. Its work for anyone to part and airstream, but i know how to get things apart and put them back together, so i can pull the usable parts off, but again are there enough people looking for parts... i mean, great windows the door full rear bathroom pieces, theres stuff on here ive seen peopel looking for in years past and willing to pay a pretty penny for. So i guess id love to hear from people who decided to part out and if they had luck selling or not. I didnt realize classifieds here are free. I think ill list the little one and see what happens.. then the big one once i have the curtains in and such.

Oh and we got a Thomas SafeTliner with a CAT3116 I can put an aerial rig for trapeze on this, can't do that on an airstream, unfortunately
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
As for that easier to aquire, i had such a hard time finding mine and after felt kinda shisted by the sellers dishonesty. Here i am offering better than what i could find and full disclosuer. Its like auditions, when i go in for them theres a huge number of people there to audition. When i have held auditions, i have a hard time getting people there to audition. Murphey's law or i missed something important in sales and marketing class.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Murphey's law or i missed something important in sales and marketing class.

Please post link to classified ad.

`